Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So...does anyone else hate patinas? :)

So...does anyone else hate patinas? :)

ADVERTISEMENT
    I love reading all the posts on patinas and seeing all the pictures--and i know i'm in the minority here--but is there anyone else out there that just likes to keep their blades looking shiny and purdy?

I don't hate patinas per se; some of them look really nice ( I especially like the rainbow effect when new and the uniform dark (hot vinegar) patinas). However, I personally prefer my blades nice and shiny as do you.

-Greg

No.

This is not to say that the absence of patina is a bad thing. In more practical terms, some blades that patina easily won't be so useful in certain tasks, so a 'shiny' stainless blade would be preferred.

Having said that, I do sincerely respect that others might not feel the same as myself. To each his own. We'd all be pretty bored, if we all felt the same way. Wouldn't be much to talk about around here.

David

I hate patinas, especially fake 'forced' patinas!

There, I said it. Like an emotional floodgate opening... what a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by thedaver8 View Post
    I love reading all the posts on patinas and seeing all the pictures--and i know i'm in the minority here--but is there anyone else out there that just likes to keep their blades looking shiny and purdy?
    I don't generally buy knives to look at, I buy them to use. Maintaining them is one thing, coddling them to keep them pristine seems rather pointless to me. That said, I carried nothing but stainless steel in the years that I worked on lawn irrigation systems and got wet several times a day.

Wrong forum I didn't realize this was the traditional forum, apologies...
    Last edited by Allen R.; 07-05-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Hinderer,ZT,Spyderco,Microtech,Protech,Emerson For sale pm or email for details

I like 'em shiny too. After a few days, I think it's neat to use a little Flitz polish and see the gleaming steel once again.

I let a knife get a patina, but it doesn't last long, unless I am out of town.

That's why I laugh when people say an old carbon steel knife w/o a patina must have been made "minty" for sale. Could be true, but if the owner was like me, they might just liked to keep their knives shiny and well oiled.

neither love nor hate them. they just are.
    lol

I've somewhat turned on the subject. I used to really be bothered by any patina forming on my blades, but as I've used carbon steel knives more extensively, I've found that I appreciate them more. I'm happy that the patina helps increase rust resistance.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by wouldestous View Post
    They "just are" as long as they don't look artificial. I doubt someone purposefully soaked this knife in vinegar and mustard; these knives earned their colors over a lifetime of use.

Interestingly, here's a knife with carbon steel (I'm pretty sure they're carbon anyway) blades that was used and carried for decades on an Illinois farm. Sweat, water, damp humidity, neglect. And it's less dark than some forum knives that arrived in last week's mail!

Perhaps if a knife is used to cut rough materials, it's self-polished and the patina is naturally kept to a minimum? Or perhaps the grease and oil from farm work kept the blades properly protected?
    Last edited by Bob W; 07-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Knives are for using, and all my knives are users. Therefore, they all show signs of use sooner or later. I like the character that patina gives a knife over time.

Finding the time to use all my knives is another issue...

I'll go with Bob W and Wouldestous, put simply; with carbon blades, patina happens when you use em.
    We have a baby on the way, and the accumulating has been put on hold because an Ulster jack has been found!

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Finding the time to use all my knives is another issue...
    If I carried each of my knives for a year, probably the minimum amount of time for a natural patina and wear to begin appearing, I'd have to live until the year 2613 to use them all.

And that's assuming I didn't buy any more knives in the meantime, which is quite unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post

forgive my ignorance, but is this not rust?

Quote Originally Posted by wouldestous View Post
    lol
    Just like my hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, tin snips, lineman's, saws, etc. plus I'm surrounded by saltwater.

Pete

Why?

Buy a knife with more than one blade. Use one for food prep, one for t'other.

You're laughing.

It come with the territory. If not, buy stainless!
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"

Quote Originally Posted by thedaver8 View Post
    forgive my ignorance, but is this not rust?
    Perhaps a little. Might just be dried oil or some other staining.
    But it looks like a knife that was really used, does it not?

No, not at all...

I really love the patina on my blades... it shows me how I´ve used the knife in general or carried it.

Freshly honed blade with a greatyl earned patina on the blade

I LOVE to see how the patina "grows" and "developes"...
    You can call me Pappa Andi!
    Nun war dieser brave Lehrer, Von dem Tobak ein Verehrer, Was man ohne alle Frage, Nach des Tages Müh und Plage, Einem guten, alten Mann, Auch von Herzen gönnen kann.
    (Wilhelm Busch, german author, 1832 - 1908)

^ That's what I really like to see - a patina'd blade with a fresh, shiny edge!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information