Thread: Buck 110 with bone handles

Buck 110 with bone handles

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just found a listing on ebay for a 110 LE with nickel silver and white bone handles. It was made in 2010. Still new in the box. I'm sorry I can't provide an auction number because it already ended. One of the handles was noticably starting to yellow while the other was still white. Is this normal for such a new knife to be yellowing so soon? Or do you think it has been over exposed to light? I was going to ask the seller but auction ended. The handle color looked different in several pics so I assumed it wasn't a camera error. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

I seen this also, my guess it was like that when made. Cant see it turning just on 1 side so soon

West of the Mississippi, South of the Missouri and North of the Meramec
    Quote Originally Posted by old ford View Post
    One of the handles was noticably starting to yellow while the other was still white. Is this normal for such a new knife to be yellowing so soon? Or do you think it has been over exposed to light?
    Bone being a "natural" product has quite a bit color variation. I have a number of bone handled knives and they vary from a nice white to gray and cream and I'm OK with that. Personally I like a knife where both sides match. BUCK sometimes does a poor job with that even with the wood scales.

Last edited by DeSotoSky; 07-17-2013 at 08:58 AM.

So if I leave mine in direct sunlight will it yellow the scales?
    BCCI Lifetime Member # 2068
    U.S. Navy 1978-86

West of the Mississippi, South of the Missouri and North of the Meramec
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhammer View Post
    So if I leave mine in direct sunlight will it yellow the scales?
    Not sure how to answer that. Two different issues are on topic. One is that sometimes the bone is just creamy colored as natural variation. With my two knives shown above and the knife on eBay we are talking about natural color variation, my knives have not been exposed to sunlight, they came that way. As to turning yellow from aging or sunlight I don't know. I would think bone would be bleached white in sunlight. It's the presence of resins that turn yellow with age and that is accelerated by sunlight. I don't know if any resins are used in the finishing of the bone handled knives. Look at the 505 White Knight knife. They were originally white when new but most you see now 30 years later are creamy yellow because of the resins in the micarta have aged.
    Last edited by DeSotoSky; 07-17-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Bass pro shop offered so white bone Buck knives at that time. The first of the bone 110's came with Brass frame, I went to the nearest BP and they only had one the beat up display model and could not find the box and would not sell it without the box. So I bought the bone 119 they had and ordered the 110 on-line when I got home. The 110 they sent me had NK frame! Here are some photo's to show some more variance bone can have.

jb4570

Very nice looking 119 there.

I'm a chinese, my English is poor.
    I love 119, and 110.
    Yours are so beautiful.

Thread Information