Thread: GEC lockable blades

GEC lockable blades

ADVERTISEMENT
    Just starting out here, and have decided to start my collection with some GEC / Titioute knives. I just love the fact that they are redoing the old designs, and especially want to collect some since there are made only 2 hours away from me.

A quick history of why I am asking these questions - I have Rheumatoid Arthritis pretty bad (no pity party please!) and have a difficult time enough opening these type of knives. My other concern is because of the lack of strength and coordination of my hands and fingers at times, I would really like a locking blade. As a quick side note, I've found the Benchmade Axis Lock a godsend because of this.

I've seen on one vendor's site where they have a couple bull lock knives. Doing my diligent research I've found very little information about these. I do want to try one. In fact I am planning a trip to Titusville in the next couple weeks so I can see and hold some. Before I go or buy any more GEC knives, I was wondering if they have any other lock blade knives - either current production or older.

Also while on this subject, I saw one model that was an "easy open" #25. That looks like it would suit me well as far as opening the knife. Are there any other models that aren't necessarily tagged "easy open" but are easier to open than some others.

Sorry for all the questions. I am just so overwhelmed right now with all the models new and old that I can't seem to get a handle on what I want.

easy open refers specifically to knives where a portion of the frame has been cut out to make it easier to grip the blade. There was a model #85 teardrop jack with a 'one-armed man' razor shaped blade, liner lock and easy open cut out. There will be a #15 boy's knife with an easy open feature and sheepsfoot, but no lock. Models 42 and 72 are single blades with backlocks. 23 and 73 models offer liner locks on some models, as do the 55 hounds tooth

I do envy the fact that you can get down to the factory to try out all these knives for yourself. One further thing to bear in mind is that the strength of the springs is variable on GEC knives, as a general pointer, the older models tend more to very strong springs, whereas the newer models have more moderate pulls.

Thanks for your questions.

I like the GEC linerlock knives, I have a couple of 73s and recently, an 85 Bullet End EZ-open (a Special Facory Order which I bought from a member here) I have had a 72 Lockback (which is a 73 pattern) but I didn't like the finish/fit on it as usual GECs. However, the 72 lockback could be your best bet. It opens very lightly and has very moderate pull. The linerlock knives have tough backsprings already and a strong tab that needs pushing away to close the knife, they could be too hard to use.

Ditto the EZ-Opens I have, yes they offer a good pinch area but the pull&backspring on the 25, 56 and 85 models I have are heavy, add this to half-stops and it will become difficult. Other people may well report that they have mild sprung EZ-opens though.

Don't know about the Bull-Lock but as it's a 23 it's a big heavy knife, this may be a consideration.

I think the 72 Lockbacks will offer you what you're after: smooth opening & closing and an excellent choice of blade shapes/handles.

Thanks, Will

Thanks fatcorgi and willgoy - this is exactly the information I was looking for.

For knives that I won't use so much and just have for collection status, all this doesn't matter. But, I haven't reached that point yet - I like to use the knives I have.

I kind of figured there wouldn't be too many that have both an easy open feature and a locking blade - I am going to have to decide which feature is more important to me. As far as opening, I'm glad it was said that there is a difference in the spring tension on various models. I'll be looking at more of the newer models if they have less spring tension. As far as a locking mechanism, I feel a liner lock would be easier for me to use than a lock back. I have an older Buck knife which is a larger variety than most of the traditionals, and I just don't have the strength to push the lock.

I'm glad I am going to the factory as it is almost impossible to get the feel of any of the knives without actually holding them. Of course when there I will be limited to what is currently avalable, but that is fine. I plan on buying 2 as far as funds are concerned. At least now I have an idea of what the easy open is, and that there are (were) some lock back and liner locks available.

Thanks for the input!

Here's a nice once that has both the Easy Open feature plus the liner lock:

That particular one is from Mike Latham's web site, http://www.collectorknives.net/greateastern4.html, look near the bottom of that page.

I checked the other dealer sites I know about (including KnivesShipFree, Old Hundred Collectibles, GP Knives) and didn't see any of those in stock.

I don't own one of those so I can't speak to the actual ease of the "easy open" nor to the difficulty of using the liner lock tab.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - John

I know I am straying from my original post looking for the locking blades, but I stumbled across this knife this morning. It hits most of my requirements except for the locking blade:

What I like:

Single blade - althought not that crazy about the sheepfoot
    Wooden handle - I have a walnut Charlow on the way so I want an Ebony Wood
    Easy Open - yeah!

According to the GEC website, this is a new release as of July 2013. But, I can't find it in their on-line store. I'm not sure how GEC works - maybe this knife is only available to certain dealers? Anyway, I sent off an email to GEC asking about the availability. This will be my next purchase if I can find one.

Most GEC knives are available through dealers. See their full list here: http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/...-distributors/

There are several dealers who are members here and participate in the forums, many of whom are frequent posters here. In no particular order:

www.oldhundredcollectibles.com
    www.knivesshipfree.com
    www.collectorknives.net
    www.gpknives.com
    www.gunstockjacksknivesandcollectibles.com/

Of those, I know that Collectorknives.net has the knife you are looking at available for pre-order.
    Last edited by jc57; 08-02-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    - John

A hair off topic but as a fellow axis lock fan I can't recommend a case trapperlock enough. While it may not be on-par with a GEC it was an excellent introduction to traditional knives for me. Has a very easy/light opening blade with a thumb stud and has a liner lock

Quote Originally Posted by jc57 View Post
    Here's a nice once that has both the Easy Open feature plus the liner lock:

That particular one is from Mike Latham's web site, http://www.collectorknives.net/greateastern4.html, look near the bottom of that page.

I checked the other dealer sites I know about (including KnivesShipFree, Old Hundred Collectibles, GP Knives) and didn't see any of those in stock.

I don't own one of those so I can't speak to the actual ease of the "easy open" nor to the difficulty of using the liner lock tab.
    I second this option. My SFO #85 EZ Open Linerlock from collectorknives is probably my most carried knife. My hands can get arthritic, and while the pull is easily an 6-7 out of a scale of 1-10, The EZ Open feature makes it not a problem at all to open. I highly recommend one of these knives. They are limited, and only the single blade linerlock versions are still available, so you might want to move more quickly on that purchase than not.

Here is mine...

And for a size comparison, here it is along side a regular 91mm SAK...

John (jc57) - I must have overlooked your post in between my two this morning. That is exactly what the doctor ordered! And thanks for directing me to where to find it - going to place an order here shortly.

burnside - thanks for the backup recommendation! Also nice (or not so nice....) that you understand what I am talking about with my hands and fingers. I want a single blade anyway as I feel it would be easier to grab the blade for opening. I see there are only a couple variations available, and being I like a wooden handle, that comes down to African Blackwood. In your pics what handle material is that?

I'll make a decision on handle material shortly and get one ordered. Thank you both so much for your help!

Edit to add - looks like I have 3 choices in handle material. African Black Wood, Buffalo Horn, Antique Yellow Bone, and Smooth Ivory Bone. I am torn between the African Black Wood and Buffalo Horn.......decisions - decisions!
    Last edited by coaltrain; 08-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.

The #85 EO liner lock is a worthy consideration. As previously mentioned the#72 & #42 models open very easily and are lockbacks. A new run of #72's is being run soon in different blade shapes and handles which can be preordered through dealers. A few #42's can still be found. The BullLocks have a strong backspring and the lock takes some effort to release as well. For ease of operation I lean to the #42/#72 models.
    Jamie

"Sharp blades are good to have, if Shire-folk go walking, east, south, or far away into dark and danger" - J.R.R. Tolkien
    WANTED - #71 Redneck Farm Tool

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

burnside - thanks for the backup recommendation! Also nice (or not so nice....) that you understand what I am talking about with my hands and fingers. I want a single blade anyway as I feel it would be easier to grab the blade for opening. I see there are only a couple variations available, and being I like a wooden handle, that comes down to African Blackwood. In your pics what handle material is that?

Edit to add - looks like I have 3 choices in handle material. African Black Wood, Buffalo Horn, Antique Yellow Bone, and Smooth Ivory Bone. I am torn between the African Black Wood and Buffalo Horn.......decisions - decisions!
    My version is the African Blackwood. I like it a lot and it is one of my favorite woods for knife covers. It feels silky like velvet and almost oily compared to Gabon or Macassar Ebony woods.

Both of the wooden knives in the photo below are my SFO #85s (the one in the middle being the two blade jack which is now sold out). There can be variances in the wood color from deep black to browns depending on the sunlight and the sample you receive. My two blade jack has a lot of browns in the correct angle in sunlight, but it disappears at other angles in the same light. My single blade african black wood 85 is scant of any browns in the grain.

Quote Originally Posted by blademan 13 View Post
    The #85 EO liner lock is a worthy consideration. As previously mentioned the#72 & #42 models open very easily and are lockbacks. A new run of #72's is being run soon in different blade shapes and handles which can be preordered through dealers. A few #42's can still be found. The BullLocks have a strong backspring and the lock takes some effort to release as well. For ease of operation I lean to the #42/#72 models.
    Good points. I think the #72 mini lockback Hunter will be the easiest one to open, and is another great option to consider. It is a little bigger than the #85, but if you prefer a clip or wharncliffe blade, go for it. Out of all of the GEC knives I've handled. The #72 lockback was the easiest to open with the most gentle pull. The lock is nice as well. If you'd rather wait, GEC will be releasing a new run of the 72/73s within the next month most likely.

I agree with willgoy on the ease of opening the #72, and also the #42, lockbacks. Light spring tension and a nice audible click upon locking open would give you some security. They are both nice looking patterns, as well. The #72 is 3-7/8" closed length, while the #42 is 4-1/4" closed with the same shape.

Thread Information