Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos and Impressions: GEC #79 Workhorse Whittler (3-spring)

Photos and Impressions: GEC #79 Workhorse Whittler (3-spring)

ADVERTISEMENT
    (As first seen here, but here again in an Open thread. )

Some background:

Quote Originally Posted by pertinux View Post
    A little while back, rockgolfer and I arranged a consecutive borrow. I sent him my White Owl to try out, and he just returned it to me with his Workhorse Whittler.

Here's my White Owl back home again, with Jeff's #79 in tow:

As great as everyone's pictures are, most especially including the helpful comparison shots in this thread, there's nothing else like evaluating a knife in-hand. I'm grateful for this opportunity. The #79 is not nearly as cumbersome (weight, bulk) as I'd expected, and its configuration and pleasing pulls render it surprisingly comfortable in carry and in use.

#25, #79, #15

Clip blades:

#79, #15

Wharncliffe (lambcliffe on the #79? ):

#79 bracketed by #25s

Here's where it gets fun:

Spring shot:

Wait, what's this...?

Hmmm, inconclusive. Another angle:

And one last look, for further confirmation:

... The brass scales of the #79 are slightly further apart than those of the #25-- on the frame level, the #79 is an oonch thicker-- but clothed in their respective covers, the little #25 is just a snook wider at its bare end than the 3-spring #79.

Revelatory.
    Then, on the eve of returning Jeff's knife to him, this happened:
    This Jobillo is really something, putting the "chatter" in "chatoyancy" (hard for me to photograph accurately all that's going on in and around the crazypatch grain and coloration). Here's mine again, with rockgolfer's Ruby Red (thanks again, Jeff!):

Jobillo: I was leery of taking a flyer on a hitherto unknown wood, but as soon as Barry (gunstockjack) described it to me as similar to mahogany, I went for it. Mahogany's a favorite of mine (dating to my first guitar at age 14).

Note the family resemblance (mahogany bookshelf as backdrop):

Interestingly, the jobillo often appears redder in outdoor light. Regardless of setting, it requires the full range of vintage Crayola browns to catch its variegations-- raw sienna, burnt umber, goldenrod, sepia, you name it.

A few areas in the grain flash gold, including just to upper right of the shield. You can sort of see it in the above picture, a little more here-- the lighter brown color in the upper right quadrant is all shimmer, not flat color:

I prefer satin-finished blades to gloss, so have taken the knife from this...

... to this:

(So far; it's a work in progress.)

This one's going to keep me interested for a good long time.

~ P.

(First posted 8/5)

Today's light brings forth the yellows:

(A last picture with Jeff's knife, on which the bodacious jigging in deep red, complete with UN-X-LD shield, work so well.)

~ P.

Quote Originally Posted by bonky View Post
    Beautiful knife! I also love the #70 in Jobillo! It's my favorite wood scaled knife, to the point where I bought one in stag so I could actually carry and use one! Here are some pix:

As always with me, please excuse the poor cellphone photos. One of these days I hope to use the camera with some measure of success, but today apparently is not to be that day.

Btw, did you notice the similarity in grain pattern, and that the serial numbers both end in "5"? Curious, no?
    Thanks so much for taking and posting these pictures. Funny, how these Jobillo beauties only now seem to be crawling out into the sunlight. Or maybe I'm just now noticing...?

Your Jobillo is beautiful, of course. How'd you get the blades so shiny?

Am I understanding correctly that you bought a stag version as the user? (If so, good on you. )

~ P.

Excellent pics as always P. That wood is just stunning . I had to pocket mine the day it returned .

Here I did a little comparison a while back. You cant go wrong with the 79 for many things and now if it was too thick GEC has been nice enough to bring out a single spring version. I have also noticed these three spring models are drying up around the net

My favorite pic of mine

Beautiful pics. Pardon my newness but how did you do the blade like that? That looks great and now I feel I must attempt it on one of mine.....when you tell me how...

I am generally not a big fan of wood scales on a folder, other than ebony, but that is sure enough pretty.

Wood is a great scale material, lots of variation available. Nice foto shoot P!

Like.

I've been itching to try one, but the blade combo isn't quite what I want. Stockman type configuration would be quite sweet.... maybe with a pen blade instead of the spey. I really may have to reconsider though.

If GEC keeps coming out with knives I want, I may not be able to back track.

good job on the blade finish
    G2
    Last edited by Gary W. Graley; 09-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
    Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1

Thanks so much for taking and posting these pictures. Funny, how these Jobillo beauties only now seem to be crawling out into the sunlight. Or maybe I'm just now noticing...?

Your Jobillo is beautiful, of course. How'd you get the blades so shiny?

Am I understanding correctly that you bought a stag version as the user? (If so, good on you. )

~ P.
    Thank you ma'am, and it's funny that just when I thought I was the only person who bought or appreciated Jobillo in any pattern, you go and post pictures of a real beauty, same frame and all!

It really is my favorite production knife, as it's as close to a custom as can be expected off the line. The springs are flush in all positions, blades are perfectly centered, and the wood is as highly figured as any I've seen for jobillo.

I just couldn't force myself to carry it for fear of screwing it up, so I got another #79 in stag to carry as a user. It's a great knife, too, but the f&f isn't as good as on my jobillo... The blades aren't as shiny either

All in all, I'm very pleased with the pattern, and it's nice to see that there's another person out here who seems to feel the same way. One of the days, I may have to ask you for the training course on satin-finishing blades, after I get the course on using a real camera

Thanks for the kind comments, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Edm1 View Post
    Beautiful pics. Pardon my newness but how did you do the blade like that? That looks great and now I feel I must attempt it on one of mine.....when you tell me how...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. Graley View Post
    again, nice job on that blade finish, and yep, we need to hear how ya did it, some photo steps of the process even?
    ...One of the days, I may have to ask you for the training course on satin-finishing blades, after I get the course on using a real camera
    I wish I could offer a measured "how to," but believe you me this was no "Zen and the Art of Satin-Finishing a Glossy Blade." Gulp.

I'm just uncertain enough about my skills and the application thereof with things like this that I remain so twitchy and impatient to see a good outcome throughout, any methodical approach (let alone the documentation thereof) soon flies right out the window!

I first wrote about my ministrations here, and can't think of anything to add:
    I was trying to work out a "progression," but went back and forth a few times so forget what finally got me there. I do know I ended with 0000 steel wool.

Mostly, I used a small 3M Scotch-whatever green scrubbing pad and 0000 steel wool. 400 grit sandpaper was also used here and there, but I'm not sure I actually needed it in the long run. Interestingly, whether this actually aided or thwarted my eventual progress, it seemed that wiping the blades with mineral oil throughout evened out the results. It felt more productive and less damage-y, at any rate.
    There are some lines still visible under certain lighting and angles that I might still tend to, and in retrospect I'd guess they're likely due to the 400 grit sandpaper.

For the most part, I went horizontal and then vertical with each material, then sorta rubbed the blades until they looked satin. Like that. If/when I attempt something like this again, I'll go lighter, and slower, forego the 400 grit (maybe start at 600 or even 1000?) and perhaps even stop to take pictures! I am pleased (and relieved) at what I was able to achieve this time, all the same.

In the meantime, I took my #79 up north and fed it corned beef (mostly in the form of reubens) and apples and other goodies for a week, so the blades look different already:

More glamor shots:

... it's funny that just when I thought I was the only person who bought or appreciated Jobillo in any pattern, you go and post pictures of a real beauty, same frame and all!
    During my recent week away, I carried only a single-blade barlow and/or the workhorse whittler. The barlow likely would have satisfied any and all of my actual knife tasks along the way (what say), but the #79 contributed delightfully extra clicking and clacking, blade selection, and so much to see within its wood grain. I wanted for nothing, with this one knife.

I'm greatly enjoying this one-- and am still surprised at just how much.

~ P.

The #79 is a great knife. I have one in natural stag and love it. I admit that I prefer the #76 Western Outlaw by just the slimmest of margins but I am thrilled to own both. Here is a pic of my #79 (not nearly as nice as your glamour shots - they are fantastic!):

The Jobillo on yours is beautiful. My next GEC will have wooden handles, they do a great job with them. Congrats on a wonderful knife!.
    <- (click icon)
    BCCI Member, SpyderNation #0111, Proud Supporter of JK knives #111, and member of Knife Rights.
    #111 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Love this thread! I just ordered the 79 in Natural Stag last night and it will be here in 2 days! I am beyond excited. This really is the ideal traditional knife for me and will be a life-long companion. Will post pics once I get it.

pretty nice knives for sure
    G2
    Last edited by Gary W. Graley; 09-10-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
    Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1

One of my latest acquisitions.

AND...I'd really like to see one of these up next to a sunfish to compare the size of the main blade.
    cheers.
    Last edited by meako; 08-20-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Interesting pattern and some great pics here

great pattern, so small yet so many nice big blades, I especially like seeing top and bottom shots of them, the three backsprings together look very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgolfer View Post
    Excellent pics as always P. That wood is just stunning . I had to pocket mine the day it returned .

Here I did a little comparison a while back. You cant go wrong with the 79 for many things and now if it was too thick GEC has been nice enough to bring out a single spring version. I have also noticed these three spring models are drying up around the net
    What's this about a single-spring version?! Of the three-blade whittler?

Thanks for the excellent review, Pertinux.
    Can you speak to the comfort of the knife? Do the spines of the blades that are not in use present a problem/discomfort?

This one is definitely on my radar now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. Graley View Post
    It is a great thread and a wonderful model GEC's produced, here's my contribution to the love

3 bladed Montana Workhorse, in linen micarta scales

the two side blades are ground so nice and thin, they slice like razors they are so sharp!!! amazing folder...
    G2
    Gary I've been thinking about that knife since you showed me it at the the rendezvous. I really like the micarta workhorse. Even compared to all the nice bone and wood shown in this thread. It must be the durability of the covers combined with the "workhorse" nature of the knife. Seems like a great combo for a user knife. I looked around for one and they're all long gone. Guess I'll have to "settle" for ebony.

Sarah yours looks great too. The wood has nice subtle character.
    Last edited by mr_badexample; 08-21-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    Brian
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear... well, he eats you"
    -The Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by ddml View Post
    What's this about a single-spring version?! Of the three-blade whittler?
    I think they are referring to the #79 workhorse 2blade version.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information