Thread: Survival/Bushcraft/Outdoor Skills Field Day in Bristol, CT. Great time!

Survival/Bushcraft/Outdoor Skills Field Day in Bristol, CT. Great time!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I had the pleasure of attending a field day for the benefit of the Estela Wilderness Education Fund. If my understand is correct they help sponsor youth summer camp programs. Clearly a good cause exposing young people to nature. Indian Rock Nature Preserve has a wonderful field of apples with at least 5 different types if my eye is correct. I shamelessly munched on them!

An interesting martial arts display of people using sticks and mixed martial arts.

Some buchcrafty tools and firestarting methods on display and available for practice. I gathered up dry grass for the kids so they could get their firesteel fires working. Oak and Maple leaves they found on their own weren't cutting it. Traditional flint and steel was on display as well. I had some charred cloth in my pack, used the available jute, flint and steel to get flames. K_estela used a cr123 battery from his flashlight to ignite steel wool. I seen that before but then he used traditional flint and steel to ignite steel wool. I have done that with a firesteel but never F&S.

Naturally there was friction fire methods on display.

Looks like one of those fish traps. Never actually made one like that myself.

I took the little guy on the medicinal plant walk. The instructor was very knowledgeable on the topic. I learned a few new things and would probably gain even more if time allowed.

The atlatl toss was a bunch of fun. Tossing those big, big lawn darts a loooooooooooooooooong away was a blast. This child was having a better time than could be had from video games or TV. I was lucky enough to photograph the dart in flight.

I wish more of our forum members in CT would have attended. Getting out and learning new skills to be used in the field IMHO is what it is all about.

There isnt one tomorrow is there? Id love to take the fam.... I'm thinking not as the title is "bushcraft day" not "days", right? Any way it looks like a good timI'll ha to keep my eye out for other happenings in this area.

Looks like a fantastic time. I wish I lived closer and not so busy. Thanks for posting your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by superpaco View Post
    There isnt one tomorrow is there? Id love to take the fam.... I'm thinking not as the title is "bushcraft day" not "days", right? Any way it looks like a good timI'll ha to keep my eye out for other happenings in this area.
    I don't think there is another one but maybe another event at the site, not sure. I got the title and background info from this thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-in-Bristol-CT

Glad I read the sticky. I was looking for something to take the little guy to and this activity fit the bill. Plus I learned a few new things. The only negative being I left my fancy pants knife at home and others were walking around with some nice steel on the belts. LOL!

Sweet mercy! You went somewhere without a kinfe?!?!!?
    what might this fancy pantalones steel that was so lonely all day be?
    Last edited by superpaco; 10-05-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Sweet mercy! You went somewhere without a kinfe?!?!!?
    what might this fany pantalones steel that was so lonely all day be?
    No bro, nothing crazy like that. I had a smaller custom in my pack but should have realized the crowd would be knife friendly. Maybe would have worn one of my BHKs on the belt but alas that wasn't to be.

nice "sightless horses"! do you find the extra footprint of the firesteel loop and firesteel gets hung up anymore than a regular sheath does?

nice "sightless horses"! do you find the extra footprint of the firesteel loop and firesteel gets hung up anymore than a regular sheath does?
    Never notice a problem but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Connecticut surrounded by liberals unfortunately
    Thanks for coming out Kevin. Glad you won a Mountain Khakis gift card too. You can thank my niece for that one.

The field day is not going to be the last of its kind. I'm still working on raising funds and if anyone is interested in learning more about the charity or upcoming events like this one, check out my website at www.kevinestela.com. This is just one of many creative coals in my fire (hence my relative absence here).

I wish more Bladeforums members could have made it. At least one did and that is better than none.
    Kev

Head Instructor/Owner
    Estela Wilderness Education
    www.kevinestela.com

Find Estela Wilderness Education, LLC on Facebook and become a fan!

Alright. I ask because I potentially have two new knives on order where I opted for the firesteel loop feature on the sheaths, and I started to worry about the small things as I am wont to do when I've gotten something customized.

superpaco.

I think you will like the firesteel loop. Just make sure your knife has a squared off spine which isn't coated. Both carbon and stainless steel with work.

Kevin.

It was a pleasure coming out. Thanks for taking the time to organize the event.

Thread Information