Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My knives are getting smaller and stiffer

My knives are getting smaller and stiffer

ADVERTISEMENT
    No, I did not put them in the washing machine and wash them in the wrong temperature so they are not shrinking. And they are not getting stiffer with age like their owner. Lately I have just found out I like the small fixed blades and have started to carry those either in my bag or pocket.

I have found out that a knife with blade lenght between 60-75 millimetres is usually enough for anything I like to do daily. Overall lenght of 150-165 millimetres is easy to carry. The uses include mostly cutting foodstuffs, cutting cords, opening packages etc. Food prosessing means the knife has to be kept clean, therefore the fixed blade, that is easy to wash, is better than folder.

In forest the small fixed blade I mostly like to slip in my pocket is the Roselli UHC steel Bear Claw. The ergonomics are superior, the blade is the best for whittling I have ever experienced. Cutting a pole for stability when walking in rough terrain or crossing a river, opening food packages, cutting sausages, making kindling to start a fire. All of these are done with ease.

Of course there is the other side of the coin. A fixed blade is harder to "conseal", allthough I this point is really minor because I carry a "consealed" knife rarely. If I cant carry it legally in my pocket I put it in my bag, where it is not "readily available". Anyway, I dont do anything crazy with my knives.

I have tried some other small fixed blades. I have a CS Pendleton Mini (not strictly a traditional knife, but I had in mind to make a wood handle and leather pocket sheath for it) and a Boker Fitz with stag handle. Either of those does not have the same quality and properties as my small puukko.

The Roselli has some bulk and that is the only downside I can think of conserning pocket carry. I have taken a look at some Bark River (mini/micro Canadian) and Blind Horse knives (Lill Muk) and those could be good alternatives. Anyway before I can handle those and make up my mind the Roselli will be my nr 1 choise for a pocket fixed blade.

There are several threads on the small fixed blade subject, so if the moderator feels that a new thread is not needed that is ok. Just wanted to shear my thoughts. If you want to talk about this take a seat and give me your thoughts.

[IMG][/IMG]

This question was answered generations ago, as far back as the Roman Empire. They didn't want to carry a fixed blade in their pockets.
    Taken a seat. Thank you.
    Last edited by LEOGREG; 11-19-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Well, your opinion has been recorded. Thank you.

That does not change the fact many of us do.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...et+fixed+blade

And so on.

I sometimes feel the urge to go for a small fixed blade as well. The idea of folding blades closing during use doesn't enter my mind when using them or make me nervous but the extra strength of them is a very definite bonus. Another plus is the easier maintenance, not naming to clean out the insides, etc. I carried a Bark River Mini Fox River on my belt for a while and loved using it. Pretty small and easy to carry even in a city, but it definitely had some bulk to it. I never wanted to go too small with a fixed blade (I didn't want anything large either, don't get me wrong), but now I'm looking at much smaller fixed blades. I'll mostly be sticking with my folders, but carrying a fixed blade occasionally would be nice.

The Bark River ones you mentioned would make excellent knives. They make quality knives that hold up very well and while I'm not interested in trying the various "super" steels they offer, I absolutely love their A2, they do a tremendous job with it. Mike Stewart has the heat treat for that steel spot on. The only downside with them (not really a downside, but not my personal preference) is how thick so many of their blades are. I'm not sure of the thickness of the ones you listed, but they do offer some thinner blade knives at least.

The Roselli's look interesting, but like you said bulk can be a downside. I haven't got much more to add, I don't know small fixed blades well. Maybe you'll want to look for a custom?

[IMG][/IMG]

Opinions vary! My fixed blade. ;-)

I edc a bark river city knife. In fact slipped it into my pocket about 20 min ago. I also carry a folder, but really like the bark river.
    Looking for a single blade spear point GEC Barlow.

Leogreg, please.

Mine is bigger than yours.

Still, lets assume that there are valid reasons for a pocket fixed blade.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Edm1 View Post
    I edc a bark river city knife. In fact slipped it into my pocket about 20 min ago. I also carry a folder, but really like the bark river.
    Yes, that would be a really cool knife to own. It just is quite costly.

Yes, please, Leogreg, if you think fixed blade carry is silly that's fine, but you can state that without having to belittle others for their interest in small fixed blades. If that's not your intent I apologize but there is no need to derail someone's thread.

Back on topic, HFinn, I would also recommend taking a look at some of the offerings from Blind Horse Knives. They make truly excellent knives, and something like the Frontier First of the Maverick Colt models might be suitable for you. The Colt is 6 1/2" so maybe a bit long for pocket carry, but it's fairly slim looking. The Frontier first is 5.5" OAL, a very good length for pocket carry. I have the slightly larger Frontier Valley, which I don't carry day to day but I've brought it hiking and done some woodwork with it and it's a high quality knife. THe Frontier First is essentially the same knife, just smaller and looks good for pocket carry.

Blind Horse Lill Muk is also interesting, considering that much of my knife use is food oriented. And of course the BH Bushbaby. BH is not as costly as Bark River.

"Some of my Bark River knives and pocket sheaths that are in my "pocket EDC" rotation. Lately since I've discovered GEC, I've been carrying more folders along with the fixed blades.

Tom
    Double Ott aka; Tom; TC

Good judgement comes from your experience...Most experience comes from your poor judgement!
    Collecting vintage logging tools. What ya got? P.M me.

Douple Ott, just wow.

As an experiment I took a used puukko and started reshaping it. Overall lenght is 165 mm. Work in progress.

In the winter time, I tend to use a small sheath knife more often. It's way more convenient when my hands are cold from working outdoors.
    My main winter-time carry for work is a BRKT Imp, which I just slip into my back pocket in the sheath that came with it. I enjoy smaller fixed blade knives; they have their own sort of charm.

Last edited by puukkoman; 11-19-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    formerly known as alex_111
    (August 2000 - September 2004)

Always looking for Italian stilettos. Send me a PM if you've got one that needs a new home!

HFinn, I too have developed a fondness for pocketable fixed blades. So recently I nabbed this little Frosts off the waters of the bay...

I can hardly wait to get this little fella in hand and make it mine, so to speak.

above is a back pocket sheath for a Buck that I customized for myself, great for taking on walks...

Here's a pair of S30V Mayo Kaala's that I dressed up and their pocket sheath I made for them, very comfy and safe to carry...

this little JK also fits into my pocket sheath
    I love them all

I own a Blind Horse Knives(BHK) Nessmuk Necker which has been a great small pocketable fixed blade. Not too thrilled by the sheath that came with it, but that is easily fixed by getting a new sheath made.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfneck View Post
    I own a Blind Horse Knives(BHK) Nessmuk Necker which has been a great small pocketable fixed blade. Not too thrilled by the sheath that came with it, but that is easily fixed by getting a new sheath made.
    one of my favorites
    PHILLIP
    VANCEHAM

those look great and capable knives,did you put the handles?
    Parce mihi, Domine, quia Dalmata sum

Quote Originally Posted by rinos View Post

those look great and capable knives,did you put the handles?
    Thanks, and yes I did
    Desert ironwood and madrone burl, these were sold as skeleton knives and just begged me for handles

I've carried a small Dozier, (either the Canoe or the K28Personal) on and off for several years. With the horizontal kydex, they are quickly available and fairly unobtrusive. I've also had neck/pocket sheaths made for more carry options. Smaller fixed blades are handy, clean easily and have a charm of their own!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information