Thread: Puukko Question: Roselli in UHC (Ultra High Carbon)

Puukko Question: Roselli in UHC (Ultra High Carbon)

ADVERTISEMENT
    The recent thread on Puukkos lead me to some nice looking knives by Roselli. I noticed that some were available in Ultra High Carbon with a Rockwell of 64-66!! I just received a Mora with their famed laminated steel, but the Roselli is much harder than even the core of the Mora blade. Any idea of what UHC is, or experience with this type of knife? Since I have diamond hones already, I'm thinking...

Start here and Google your way to glory.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ing-Puukko-UHC

Personally, I'd stick with the Mora Laminated for a while before splurging on a Rosselli UHC.

The stock is a little thicker and the ergonomics of the handles are also quite different.

That said the steel gets incredibly sharp. I think maybe the comparatively thicker grind geometry vs. the Mora mean they seem to 'average out' though. I'm not sure which IS sharper, but actually, I find the Mora FEELS sharper.

Its worth noting that I have perhaps a more noticeable micro bevel on the Roselli, as it came from the shop. My Mora more likely sports a convexed mirco bevel from being more frequently stropped. All I've ever needed to do with the Roselli is maintain the micro bevel with a tickle on a Falkniven DC4 stone.

Also worth noting is Roselli grinds the spines to a perfect 90 degrees. Great for ferro-rods, painful for yoru thumb if you are looking for a carver (of course that is easy enough to alter).

Sorry I don't have an alongside or better edge picture of these to hand....

Roselli UHC blade (self hafted)

Mora 311 Forest Exclusive

Last edited by scruffuk; 12-05-2013 at 02:53 AM.
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"

Fine edges Scruff....a pleasure to see.............................FES

Quote Originally Posted by festerfromnzed View Post
    Fine edges Scruff....a pleasure to see.............................FES
    Well, I think the Manufacturers did all the hard work there Fes, but thanks
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"

Thanks for the comments, link and photos. I didn't think to search (doh, facepalm). There are other forums here besides Traditionals? lol

Really enjoyed the pics, Scruffuk. The handle on your Rosselli is beautiiful, your edges look great, too. It's cool to see where the metals come together on the edge of the Mora laminate steel, isn't it?

Thread Information