Thread: Experiences with GEC 440c knives

Experiences with GEC 440c knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have several gec knives, with the Northfield and Tidioute labels. I really like the 1095 carbon steel. The fit and finish on all of them are great. I have been thinking of getting a GEC labeled knife to add to my collection, and have noticed they are made with 440c stainless. I was wanting to hear from people who have the gec knives with the 440c and hear how it stacks up to their 1095. I really like the looks of the gec fixed blade uplander knife. Even though I prefer carbon steel, I thought it would be nice to have all three brand names of the gec line. Thanks for any input.

I only own one GEC stainless knife, but absolutely love it. Truth be told, I purchased it more for the Elk scales than the stainless blade, but am very pleased with both.

- Stephen

WTB: JBF Champlin Eureka Jack in Rosewood

It stacks very well imho. It gets sharp but it seems to work best with a slightly toothy edge in my uses. But I wouldn't worry about that if you're looking at the fixed blades as most of those are 1095, not 440C. If the blade has the Cyclops Steel Works stamp then its 440C. Otherwise, its not. At least so far.

Wow!, that's a beauty! I really like the scales, thet look a lot different from their normal stag handles.

Very nice! Actually the newer ones Iv'e looked at in my knife store have 440c. Maybe they made the switch to stainless this year on the fixed blades?

Not sure, what are the handle materials? I have 2 black canvas and they're 1095 too. Here's an incomplete list of GEC's fixed blade releases.
    http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/...bps_page_152=1

I have seen 3 of the fixed blades, Two have "pioneer bone" handle scales and one is, "American Elk." two are the Up Land Pattern with one being the bone, the other is the elk. The other bone handle knife is called the Skinner pattern. All three are model 73. It looks like all were made in 2012. These are the ones available at the knife store where I make most of my knife purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by david childers View Post
    I was wanting to hear from people who have the gec knives with the 440c and hear how it stacks up to their 1095. I really like the looks of the gec fixed blade uplander knife.
    About like any well done 440C does.
    1095 will hold a fine edge longer.
    440C will keep cutting longer.

See post #4
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ng-performance
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

I carry a Conductor in Burnt Stag very frequently. For a compact knife it is fine for food prep, it cuts very well-bit harder to sharpen-wish they had more stainless on offer. The fit&finish on the Cyclops knives I have is very satisfying. Oh, and that squirrel/acorn etch is kool and I don't usually favour etches!

Frank's of course right but to take a tongue in cheek approach:

1095 will keep patina (rusting ) longer
    440C will keep shiny (scratchy ) longer

Regards, Will

I'm pretty sure that all the 73 pattern fixed blades made in 2012 were 1095 carbon Steel Blades.

yes, I agree about the etching, I usually don't like etching on blades either, but I like the squirrel and acorn.

Quote Originally Posted by david childers View Post
    I have seen 3 of the fixed blades, Two have "pioneer bone" handle scales and one is, "American Elk." two are the Up Land Pattern with one being the bone, the other is the elk. The other bone handle knife is called the Skinner pattern. All three are model 73. It looks like all were made in 2012. These are the ones available at the knife store where I make most of my knife purchases.
    If you can, inspect the blade tang. If it says "Cyclops Steel Works" then its 440C. If its "Tidioute Iron Works" or "TIW" then its 1095.

IMHO, GEC fixed blade sheaths are the ugliest and cheapest looking sheaths I have ever seen on a premium knife.

Tom
    Last edited by Double Ott; 12-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Double Ott aka; Tom; TC

Good judgement comes from your experience...Most experience comes from your poor judgement!
    Collecting vintage logging tools. What ya got? P.M me.

Thread Information