Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your Case knives, old to new.

The Nation's Oldest Continually Occupied European Settlement...

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Here's a 6380 from the 40-64 era I picked up the other day. I really love the jigged bone from back then, just awesome!

Always looking for old whittlers and congress jacks!!!

uploadfromtaptalk1391276299250.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391276693934.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391276744475.jpg

As you can tell I like case barlows.

Really looking forward to the new case-bose tear drop jacks.
    WTB: GEC 33 Conductor w/ coping secondary and a bail. Any handle material (stag or ebony preferred)
    Canal St. Cutlery Hawbaker Muskrat
    Case/Bose Muskrat (2004)

Started collecting just the amber bone lately.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by immolatus View Post
    Started collecting just the amber bone lately.

That is a fine looking knife. I tend to be attracted to this coloration myself although I like em all.

Bob

Deskil, nice trapper.
    I wonder if they make that one in CV?

I picked up a couple of old, abused Cases last week. I may do some cleaning, oiling, sharpening while I watch the Super Bowl

[IMG][/IMG]

Tidy Stockman there, not really abused from the look of those pix!

Quote Originally Posted by r8shell View Post
    Deskil, nice trapper.
    I wonder if they make that one in CV?
    I've never seen the wharncliffe version of the 6207 Pattern in CV ( and I have looked for one), but that doesn't mean that none exist.

Quote Originally Posted by willgoy View Post
    Tidy Stockman there, not really abused from the look of those pix!
    Thanks.
    Maybe abused is too strong a word. Just very dirty and scratched, really just cosmetic stuff. Here's my pack of old Cases:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Grandaddy Joe's Gum Fuddy

WW II or depression era small coke bottle that I inherited from my grandfather.

I read that gum fuddy was a WW II era material, but the tang stamp suggests 1920-1940. I suppose the blades might be older than the handles. I wonder if Case assembled knives during the war using older blade stock?

It's in better shape than most of my new traditional knives: nice carbon steel blades with great snap, shiny brass liners. It's one of two pocket knives my grandfather carried for over 40 years. A friend of his had a hardware store that is still in business. That's likely where he bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scott View Post
    WW II or depression era small coke bottle that I inherited from my grandfather.

I read that gum fuddy was a WW II era material, but the tang stamp suggests 1920-1940. I suppose the blades might be older than the handles. I wonder if Case assembled knives during the war using older blade stock?

It's in better shape than most of my new traditional knives: nice carbon steel blades with great snap, shiny brass liners. It's one of two pocket knives my grandfather carried for over 40 years. A friend of his had a hardware store that is still in business. That's likely where he bought it.
    Scott, that is a great-looking knife... and what a treasure from your grandfather!

You may find this youtube video interesting. Robert "Bob" Farquharson tells about his time at Case. Gum Fuddy is mentioned at about the 3:50 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G10AiwQL2HE#t=305
    - AL -

"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." — Isaac Newton

I know a guy that has a couple........

Stich2442 said: I'm not a fan of the current almost illegible Case shields, I like the 1970's shields best
    I agree with you and I am glad to see others who notice these missing details in the newer Case knives. This is my 1973 Case XX 6308 Whittler. In my opinion, it has the most excellent shield and that shield is pinned on, VERY FINELY ENGRAVED, and really adds a lot to the finished product. The current Case standard shield seems to be a hurried job of just sticking the company name on the knife and it is the one thing about the newer knives that turns me away. I just don't understand why, if you are a manufacturer with a positive and rich history, that management would not go back to the finely finished shields. It is the most noticeable thing on the finished knife that tells the buyer who made the knife. Now I still believe Case can and does make really nice knives. The annual Case/Bose collaborations that I have really prove that Case knows how to make a finely crafted knife, as well as some of there promotional knives, some with a nicer bowtie shield. I believe a finely crafted shield that blends seemlessly into the knife should be a priority from any company that makes a knife.

AS IT STANDS, I WILL CONTINUE TO BUY THE CASE/BOSE COLLABORATIONS AND THE OLDER CASE KNIVES.

There are some really nice Case XX's posted in this thread and too many to name individually. Thumbs up to everyone who posted their fine examples.

Let's see your Case knives, old to new.

Great video, AL! Thanks. I never took the time to watch the interview with Bob. Nice to hear about gum fuddy from the horse's mouth. The hard black rubber on my grandad's knife is soft feeling if that makes sense, but truly hard and durable. Kind of like vulcanite or Bakelite, but still shiny and new-looking after over 70 years. And it hasn't shrunk or moved on the knife. The handles are still tight without gaps.

If I can find a new Case with CV blades and gum fuddy handles, I would buy it without thinking twice. Ahhh, a new quest...

Case Bradford Cattle Knife 1920 era

Case Bradford Cattle Knife 1920 era - "bomb" shieldIMG_1513.jpgIMG_1519.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cilohaefink View Post
    Case Bradford Cattle Knife 1920 era - "bomb" shieldIMG_1513.jpgIMG_1519.jpg
    That's a pristine knife. Looks like it was never even used.

The Nation's Oldest Continually Occupied European Settlement...
    I posted this in a barlow thread but it seems like it should be present here too. Here's an old greenbone Case 62009 1/2 from the XX era, this is one of my absolute favorites in my barlow collection!

Red, White, and Blue!

This one is not mine it belongs to my mom. Its small but its really nice.

my most prized knife and it was my first daily carry. Its one of the ones made with wood be for they switched to synthetic.

Last edited by plastid; 04-03-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information