Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Mud Mutt Application/Uses

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    510

    Mud Mutt Application/Uses


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey Fellow Hogs,

    Hope you all had an amazing holiday season and may the new year rain plenty anew bacon upon your doorsteps (Basic 8 .27 and Basic 14 .25)

    I have a question for you more seasoned Hogs -- I just recently ordered the Scrapyard Mud Mutt and Scrapivore CG (Incredible little piece of SR-101). I wanted to know exactly what the proper/intended application of the Mud Mutt would be (i.e skinning game, small wood processing, urban EDC chores, outdoor EDC chores, etc.)? Does it have the potential of replacing the RMD as the most effective blade in that size range (blade weight to effective blade output)? Just curious to hear your thoughts

    Some quick Specs:

    1. .14 thickness
    2. Saber Grind
    3. Mutter handle
    4. Blade Width of 1.25 and Length of 5
    5. Overall length of 10 inches

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    1 hr. North of Wauseon, OH
    Posts
    2,139
    Well, let me start by saying the Mud Mutt is SOOOOOO close to being the perfect EDC/Hunting knife for me at this point. The only thing I would have changed at this point is a convex grind, no choil and extra .5" blade made of INFI would have been nice.....

    I expect that the blade will weigh in at around 5 oz., which would certainly give it a very nice weight/performance ratio. The mudder handles are great for their ergonomics and the purchase they provide your hand.

    I would say that everything you named would be within the scope of this blades design intention, but it will certainly not be a chopper due to it's light weight. Dan Busse has said something along the lines of "it is quickly becoming one of their most popular models to date with the amount of orders they have seen since releasing it". I believe that really says it all, quite simply it represents an awesome value for such a practical EDC type blade.

    I intend to use it for EDC duty and pair it up with a 1311 when woods wandering/hunting. I plan on doing a full satin finish on mine when I receive it and possibly remove the choil and do a full convex regrind if I am so inclined. All in all, I can't wait to receive this one as I've been lobbying for something along these lines for quite some time at the Yard......

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaa_cccc View Post
    Well, let me start by saying the Mud Mutt is SOOOOOO close to being the perfect EDC/Hunting knife for me at this point. The only thing I would have changed at this point is a convex grind, no choil and extra .5" blade made of INFI would have been nice.....

    I expect that the blade will weigh in at around 5 oz., which would certainly give it a very nice weight/performance ratio. The mudder handles are great for their ergonomics and the purchase they provide your hand.

    I would say that everything you named would be within the scope of this blades design intention, but it will certainly not be a chopper due to it's light weight. Dan Busse has said something along the lines of "it is quickly becoming one of their most popular models to date with the amount of orders they have seen since releasing it". I believe that really says it all, quite simply it represents an awesome value for such a practical EDC type blade.

    I intend to use it for EDC duty and pair it up with a 1311 when woods wandering/hunting. I plan on doing a full satin finish on mine when I receive it and possibly remove the choil and do a full convex regrind if I am so inclined. All in all, I can't wait to receive this one as I've been lobbying for something along these lines for quite some time at the Yard......
    Awesome thanks for the reply and cheers to your new incoming blade. In your opinion, with the improved handle and about 3 oz of weight less than the RMD -- do you think it's a better all around knife when paired with a chopper? My go to blade in that size range has been the Kabar/Becker Bk-2 which I absolutely love, but when paired with a chopper the excess weight is unnecessary. I basically need to justify replacing the BK2 and avoiding the Ratmandu -- hey that rhymes haha. Thanks!

  4. #4
    I need to order mine already! Such a sweet package.

  5. #5
    I already have one, and it's SWEET!!!







    ScrapMuk, MudMutt, and S-5



    Shown with other mudder handles




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    628
    Congrats Tom Kanik you are a lucky dog It does look sweet all black !!!!

  7. #7
    Thank you, and thanks to Dan Busse for giving one to us Mods! The ones to be sold will have the tan/grey handles.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    1 hr. North of Wauseon, OH
    Posts
    2,139
    Dang, Tom!! It pays to be the #1 JYD......

    Congrats man, can't wait to get mine......

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    1 hr. North of Wauseon, OH
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Mob View Post
    do you think it's a better all around knife when paired with a chopper?
    Yes, I believe the Mud Mutt will be best suited when paired with the likes of a Basic 11 or 1311.

    For a pure skinning/processing/boning/kitchen knife, I don't think you can beat the Elmax Steak knives.

    For a pure combat or general hard utility applications in a smallish knife that will not be paired with something larger, I like to Boss Jack CG or Proto. Small footprint overall yet has the weight, strength and geometry to be expected to last forever and do almost anything you ask of it.

    If you wanted to go a little bit larger, then the Desert Storm Fighter would be my choice for the same reasons.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,108
    Dang it, I missed it.
    Buy Brown Kydex
    WTB; Busse HACK Bear Cubs ! Especially the Ram's Horn one !!!!
    azgunnut@earthlink.net


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaa_cccc View Post
    Yes, I believe the Mud Mutt will be best suited when paired with the likes of a Basic 11 or 1311.

    For a pure skinning/processing/boning/kitchen knife, I don't think you can beat the Elmax Steak knives.

    For a pure combat or general hard utility applications in a smallish knife that will not be paired with something larger, I like to Boss Jack CG or Proto. Small footprint overall yet has the weight, strength and geometry to be expected to last forever and do almost anything you ask of it.

    If you wanted to go a little bit larger, then the Desert Storm Fighter would be my choice for the same reasons.
    Very nice! I personally will pair the Mud Mutt with ASHBM. My one blade jack of all trades setup is simply a NMSFNO paired with a Victorinox Hercules model. If I have to have only one knife under 6 inches that can kind of do everything at the moment my Bk2 is still king --

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Dang it, I missed it.
    ....still should be available from The Yard mate, there was a price increase due after New Year though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    10,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kanik View Post
    I already have one, and it's SWEET!!!

    Tom, how does it compare to a Scrapper 5? I like that the Mutt is thinner.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
    ....still should be available from The Yard mate, there was a price increase due after New Year though.
    Ah I see it now, Thank you
    Buy Brown Kydex
    WTB; Busse HACK Bear Cubs ! Especially the Ram's Horn one !!!!
    azgunnut@earthlink.net


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    1,913
    I'm gonna use mine for cuttin stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Murfs Paw Kydex, miss you buddy

    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for the battle. Ah, but the one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

  16. #16
    Tom, a comparison to a RMD would be nice. Sweet pics and congrats

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Mob View Post
    Very nice! I personally will pair the Mud Mutt with ASHBM. My one blade jack of all trades setup is simply a NMSFNO paired with a Victorinox Hercules model. If I have to have only one knife under 6 inches that can kind of do everything at the moment my Bk2 is still king --
    If you want to replace (upgrade from) BK2 then you should look at Scrapper 5. Same handle as the Mud Mutt, 5" blade as well but somewhat thicker, drop point and can be had in SR-101 or INFI. Another option would be a FFG RMD (or the drop point Custom Shop version). Both will be lighter than BK2, have better steel and easier to carry.


    Sadly Scrapper is only available on secondary market.

    And I would not say the mudder handle is an improvement over RMD handle, it is more slender and might not be too comfortable to guys with large hand. Now, I'm not saying that it is bad or anything like that, just not necessarily an improvement of RMD's handle.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    1,913
    Scrapper 5 gets my vote as well. Very well made knife.
    Murfs Paw Kydex, miss you buddy

    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for the battle. Ah, but the one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by elof_alv View Post
    If you want to replace (upgrade from) BK2 then you should look at Scrapper 5. Same handle as the Mud Mutt, 5" blade as well but somewhat thicker, drop point and can be had in SR-101 or INFI. Another option would be a FFG RMD (or the drop point Custom Shop version). Both will be lighter than BK2, have better steel and easier to carry.


    Sadly Scrapper is only available on secondary market.

    And I would not say the mudder handle is an improvement over RMD handle, it is more slender and might not be too comfortable to guys with large hand. Now, I'm not saying that it is bad or anything like that, just not necessarily an improvement of RMD's handle.
    I appreciate the feedback man. I'm not quite totally convinced I would bring a scrapper 5 over a bk-2 if I had to bring only one knife under 6 inches. The heft/weight is actually a good think when you only have 1 small/mid size blade. The Fat Ash-1 would be the next best thing in my opinion. But it's not in the 5 inch range. Scrapper 5 is awesome though. Looks super comfy.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfixrjoe View Post
    I'm gonna use mine for cuttin stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like we have the same idea. I love the mudder handle. My favorite of the Res C handles.

    Garth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •