Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Law Of the Sharks, Rules, Tips, and Tricks

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonafide View Post
    I just want to point out, that at no time have I seen every single Dealer (listed from Fiddleback's website under purchasing) as totally out of stock. Might not be the latest/greatest but if your friends are unable to own a Fiddleback .. then it's at their shortcomings. I work EVERY Friday .. a swing shift of sorts. I am usually right in the middle of showering, dressing, or prepping a dog/gear for work when the FBF thread is posted. I spent a loong time watching the knives I wanted going to keyboard hovers. But I still wanted one and began looking for an alternative solution. As someone stated, 'I wanted one in my hand so I could see if this was worth the effort'. My first fiddler purchased was thru a Dealer. My next was a leftover no one wanted, days after frenzy. My third from the secondary (used) market .. fourth from a Dealer. IOW .. cry me a river about your friends - they obviously dont want one THAT much.
    Yeah, I've seen it get down to like one or two available through the dealer netwoork, but never completely sold out. Right now I think there are about ten available at the dealers.

In my quest for a Bushcrafter, I learned why some are confused on model names

“A sane person to an insane society must appear insane.” ~Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by mistwalker View Post
    Pretty sure none of us want to see the days where there would still be knives available on Monday come back. Back hen I think Andy struggled withh the idea of returning to the work force, and I am soooo glad that didn't happen and Fiddleback Forge continued to grow. I think the knife world needed Fiddleback Forge very badly. I think those of us who have been around for a while have seen where Andy needed to tweak the model a little to reduce the stress level, and are just looking for and offering suggestions that might help. Just getting and giving feedback from our perspective from the outside looking in.
    Understood Mist, I did not mean to imply that you, or anyone for that matter, wished anything negative for Andy. You have been a staunch supporter of him, and I love your (and other's) stories about those formative years of Fiddleback Forge. There was a sense of longing for the days when Fridays were easier when reading all of the posts, in general. I am not singleing anyone out here. The only thing certain in life is change. I fully understand that this growth and change in Andy's market is probably going to result in change in the FF format. And all of you old timers are only trying to suggest tweaks that are in the best interest of Andy's business and his customer base. Change is difficult for some to accept. And I was pointing out that I sensed a bit of adversity to this market change occurring in some of my reading of this thread. Now I have to go make some firewood before the next front arrives. Interesting discussion and debate here.
    Last edited by McVeyMac; 03-15-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonafide View Post
    ......... My third from the secondary (used) market .. fourth from a Dealer. IOW .. cry me a river about your friends - they obviously dont want one THAT much.
    We are just discussing here, no need to be uncivil. Some people do not have the average 250-300 discretionary funds to cover just 'trying something out'. Just because a dealer has a couple knives that does not mean that he has a model I am interested in. I'm looking for a Duke but that doesn't mean I am going to settle for a Hiking Buddy just because that is all there is available right this moment. I don't consider someone knowing what they want as crying a river.

I wish I knew what I wanted. By the time I figure it out, it's already gone

Quote Originally Posted by Skystorm View Post
    We are just discussing here, no need to be uncivil. Some people do not have the average 250-300 discretionary funds to cover just 'trying something out'. Just because a dealer has a couple knives that does not mean that he has a model I am interested in. I'm looking for a Duke but that doesn't mean I am going to settle for a Hiking Buddy just because that is all there is available right this moment. I don't consider someone knowing what they want as crying a river.
    This^^ I was by no means trying to be rude or start an argument maybe a better explanation of what I was trying to say is needed.

I think one think that might be over looked from the consumer stand point are there is 2 different groups. You have users and collectors. I am a user. When I stumbled upon Fiddleback I was very happy to see a company making thin blades out of o1 that suited my style of use. I like thin spear points and wharncliffe style blades. I also am a huge fan of synthetic handle material. I have a 1/8" tapered tang bushraptor that is now my edc knife that gets used for everything, it has even became my mostly used knife while camping/hiking for the past 2 trips I have taken. I was lucky to have the funds to grab a left over knife to check out that made me stick around and try to get one of the knives I wanted and would use. There are a lot of folks who don't have the funds to drop $250-$300 dollars to just try out something or get something they are not going to use or a style/configuration they do not want.

Once again I will say I am very happy to see Fiddleback doing good and hope they continue to grow and make great products. I am a huge fan of the small business world. I am part of one myself and I understand what it takes to make a successful business.

This is my last post on this subject. It is by means of a quote by a fellow Brit and it offers no solutions "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need".
    "Why put off until tomorrow that which can be put off until next week"

Quote Originally Posted by Bush.Hacker View Post
    I wish I knew what I wanted. By the time I figure it out, it's already gone
    Well...there is a lot of discussion around here. If ask questions in the various chat or topic threads, and give a descriptions of your types of use, size prefs or requirements, blade/handle profiles I'm sure you will get feedback from people on there experiences that may help. We do these types of discussions a lot really.

Quote Originally Posted by bear71 View Post
    This is my last post on this subject. It is by means of a quote by a fellow Brit and it offers no solutions "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need".
    Your making me want to turn on some stones here. But interestingly enough, it is apropos. The evening I gave up on gettng any Bushcrafter at all. and so made a deal for KE Bushie which I will use for the one year project anyway, because it will be here in time. Well, that evening I got an email offering a trade for the exact, and I do mean EXACT Bushcrafter I wanted. Tapered 5/32 O-1, high-but-not-full grind, OD scales over natural, with an orange pinstripe. It was THE knife I pictured in my mind every time I thought about the project. So, of course I couldn't let that go and had to figure out a way to cover both deals. I am very thankful for both, as oddly enough, I do actually need both. That said, if I ever meet this Mr. Murphy, I hope I am still young enough to kick his @$$

I'm sitting here with a beer listening to exile on Main Street and toasting you Mist. I'm very happy you found what you were looking for - the god of spalted steel is indeed omnipotent!

I studied physics, and Murphy's law us the the only one I really understood!

[QUOTE=Skystorm;1331216That's are just discussing here, no need to be uncivil. Some people do not have the average 250-300 discretionary funds to cover just 'trying something out'. Just because a dealer has a couple knives that does not mean that he has a model I am interested in. I'm looking for a Duke but that doesn't mean I am going to settle for a Hiking Buddy just because that is all there is available right this moment. I don't consider someone knowing what they want as crying a river.[/QUOTE]

I'm not being uncivil .. but you chastising me for voicing my opinion certainly is.

I stand by my previously stated opinion. If you do not like how things are done .. find a different means to the item, crying about it doesn't solve problems.
    Joufuu Leather webstore; joufuu.com

Your making me want to turn on some stones here. But interestingly enough, it is apropos. The evening I gave up on gettng any Bushcrafter at all. and so made a deal for KE Bushie which I will use for the one year project anyway, because it will be here in time. Well, that evening I got an email offering a trade for the exact, and I do mean EXACT Bushcrafter I wanted. Tapered 5/32 O-1, high-but-not-full grind, OD scales over natural, with an orange pinstripe. It was THE knife I pictured in my mind every time I thought about the project. So, of course I couldn't let that go and had to figure out a way to cover both deals. I am very thankful for both, as oddly enough, I do actually need both. That said, if I ever meet this Mr. Murphy, I hope I am still young enough to kick his @$$
    Congratulations on the Bushcrafter Mist. I know that one was weighing on you. One interpretation of the events that you have described is that you have been living rightly, and the karma has provided you with what you require. But perhaps Mr. Murphy did have something to do with having to buy a KE Bushie first.

On a complete tangent, the KE Bushie on KSF is a nice 3/32 mid grind convex by the looks of it. It's advertised a 1/8 but in specs says .09 width. Not keen on the handle though. Ok you guys, back to the original thread....

Well...there is a lot of discussion around here. If ask questions in the various chat or topic threads, and give a descriptions of your types of use, size prefs or requirements, blade/handle profiles I'm sure you will get feedback from people on there experiences that may help. We do these types of discussions a lot really.
    I was being facetious, but I would not be opposed to kephart or SP offers since the subject was broached. Will need to put up a formal request in the marketplace if I keep striking out on Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by McVeyMac View Post
    Congratulations on the Bushcrafter Mist. I know that one was weighing on you. One interpretation of the events that you have described is that you have been living rightly, and the karma has provided you with what you require. But perhaps Mr. Murphy did have something to do with having to buy a KE Bushie first.
    Well, I have sworn I was going to get a convex KE Bushie since I gifted the scandi one to a friend. And...I have stated I wanted this Bushcrafter badly. Maybe it was fate giving me what I wanted by seeing how bad I wanted it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bush.Hacker View Post
    I was being facetious, but I would not be opposed to kephart or SP offers since the subject was broached. Will need to put up a formal request in the marketplace if I keep striking out on Fridays.
    Ah, I can understand that lol

I could use a KE Bushie......

Quote Originally Posted by Skystorm View Post
    I could use a KE Bushie......

There is a nice on available on KSF right now.

Law Of the Sharks, Rules, Tips, and Tricks

I just took the KE Bushie on KSF as a gift for my wife. I'm not keen on the scales but she'll love it. Guess there are deals to be had. Wonder if she'll ever get to use it!
    Last edited by bear71; 03-15-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bear71 View Post
    I just took the KE Bushie on KSF as a gift for my wife. I'm not keen on the scales but she'll love it. Guess there are deals to be had. Wonder I she'll ever get to use it?
    Nice snag Bear. I didn't think that one would last very long.

Hehe, I'm interested to 'see my wife use' a 3/32. I may help her!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information