Another trick, get a smart phone and refresh, refresh, refresh!
Law of the Sharks:
1. Knives are posted in a Fiddleback Friday thread on a first come first serve basis. This means that the first unconditional "I'll Take It" gets it. If you ask a question about the knife, or offer a trade, then another person gives the unconditional "I'll take it" they get the knife.
2. The winner of the knife is determined first by the BF timestamp on the post, then, the post #. It is not up to me in any way.
3. Avoid editing your I'll take it posts. If you do this, then I have to go by the timestamp of the edit, which is often quite far down the list of posts. Common reasons folks edit posts are to switch the knife they chose because it was already taken, or because they want to tell me they've sent payment. If your knife was taken, post a new post. This gives you a new post # and timestamp. If another poster posted the I'll take it later during the same minute, you get a post # to differentiate the winner by, but if you edit, I have to allow everyone in that same minute ahead of you!!! There is no need to post that you've paid. I ship from paypal, so if you've paid, then the knife ships with the rest next Tuesday regardless of whether you post that you paid or not.
4. Have fun with it. I learned of the Law of the Sharks when I was buying Khukuri's from HI. It is good memories and a fun thing I look back on. It is used all over Bladeforums, and forums in general, and is not a creation of Fiddleback Forge.
5. If you have not had luck on Fiddleback Fridays, or its just not for you, try giving the shop a call and having us pull one from stock for you. These knives typically have been through a Fiddleback Friday cycle and didn't get selected. Please use the # on the website. Thats the dedicated shop line. (470) 239-4263 (Remember that if no-one answers, its a shop, and we're in the back running machines.)
6. We will not be filling requests or taking orders. I have listed my 5 reasons for not taking orders before, and those are good sound business reasons that I stand behind. Ordertaking almost drowned FF once, and I have zero interest in being a Custom Knifemaker. We are a Handmade Knife shop.
Phil, I hope you don't mind me quoting, but you've got the tips pegged, so I copied your post. You left out the Fotki trick, so I detailed it below your post.
Before I write the thread, I upload the photo's at Fotki. So if you watch fotki and see the photo's, then you have a good idea of what you want in the batch. Thats quite a head start.
Gordy I want you to know that I was going to give a 5 minute warning on Twitter, but I decided against it because of you. Bladeforums faithful, including yourself are the ones that have been behind me from the start are how this has succeded. I won't handicap the forumers that aren't on twitter. The facebook posting and twitter posts will be after the thread has gone live at BF.
Another trick, get a smart phone and refresh, refresh, refresh!
Thanks Andy for making this a sticky. And thanks Phil for a great list of tips. I'm not sure I qualify as one of the "Great White Sharks" as I fail at some of these steps, sometimes quite catastrophically and multiple times in one week. But you're pretty spot on with what I've used to snag some of my favorites.
Andy's additional tip of using the Fotki for a preview is a great one as well. That way you have a good idea of what's coming and where to start to look.
I love seeing all the passion over the Fiddlebacks. Andy and crew do such great work and are worthy of it.
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R.T.
The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
I have temporarily un stuck it Thurin. This is so that it will bump up to the top of the thread for a few days and get more posts. Then I will stick it once it slows down.
I am honored that you quoted my post. I already had a couple of suggestions to repost it separately.
It is disheartening to hear the new people get frustrated because they don't understand the system. This doesn't have to be a zero sum game with only winners and losers. You make enough fantastic knives every year that everyone should be able to get something they want, maybe not every week, but at least over time.
I wish you continued success and growth with your business.
Last edited by Comprehensivist; 01-26-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Fixed sentence break
Great post Andy; FBF should be fun for everyone-- win lose or draw.
IMHO, if one looks at a lot of other successful custom / hand made knife makers they all adhere to the law of sharks when it comes to selling weekly runs and it just works. Anyone who has spent any time over at USN can attest to the madness when guys like Hinderer, Emerson, Al Franken, Randall, etc. sell current / new production.
Either way just my .02 but thanks for solidifying the rules for all of us; here's to more fun, successful, and crazy () fiddleback fridays in the future!
Last edited by xxwjtxx; 01-25-2014 at 05:05 PM.
"Truth is unpopular because it is unquestionably correct."
I learned more in 5 minutes reading this than I did by watching the process works for a few months. Thanks so much!
Also, Andy's dealers can be a great place to find what your looking for if you keep an eye out.
You would be surprised how many times I have seen people who want a specific knife not know there was one just waiting to be bought off a dealers site.
Last edited by troutfisher13111; 01-25-2014 at 01:35 PM.
If one stalked Andy (looked at his profile) one could see if he was in the process of posting a thread.. Saved a bit of F5ing...
Very happy with my current 5 Fiddlebacks so I'm pretty laid back on Fridays
Andy, Phil and everyone that posted all the helpful information. For the record I already was doing all the things that Phil stated in his post with the exception of the FOTKI which I didn't even know existed before last night. I want everyone to know that I am not totally unhappy with the process...heck, I've managed to get about thirty of Andy's knives over time and a bunch came from Fickle Back Friday. I was actually thinking that the "Posting Problem" was as simple as a network slowness issue that's why I asked the question.
I am happy that my question sparked a lot of interest and apparently the responses will be helping a lot of folks and not just myself.
This discussion has been truly illuminating! As a result i have quit my job and established a hi-tech command center with multiple staff in a permanent state of readiness in order that I may snag a Runt or Camp Knife on any given friday!
Seriously though, as frustrating as it can be, looking greedily at the newest batch of knives and trying (usually in vain) not to cut and paste is a highlight of my week. I'll continue to bumble along in my haphazard way, sometimes using my phone 40 foot up in a boom lift (I know, I know OSHA..), and I WILL GET A RUNT....
"Why put off until tomorrow that which can be put off until next week"
If I wanted to quote Andy's post I'd tap his post, and quote it. In the my new post (with his original post in the body) I'd long press anywhere in a part that I don't want, then use the highlighter thingies (technical eh?) to highlight whatever I don't want then cut it. Do that for the text above what you want, and for the text below it. Then write "I'll take" above the quoted text and hit reply. Should only take a few seconds.
Tap his post, quote it, long press on the part you want, drag the highlighter tabs over what you want (btw, long press on any text to bring up the highlighter tabs) then long press the highlighted text to bring up your options, choose copy. Back out of the post, then make another one, long press in the body, then choose paste.
Sounds rather complicated but it's pretty easy once you do it once or twice.
It's hard to put into words in a post. PM me if you want me to bullet point the steps. That might make it more clear.
Last edited by Omega Leather Works; 01-26-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Excellent thread but No way I can hover over the phone on Fridays. Last week I was in the shower for work when posted. By the I had my uniform on, 3/4 of the knives were taken. lol .. supply/demand. I get it and good for business to say the least. I live close en uno that I just need to come by and see what's on hand. Otherwise, I stick to cruising the leftovers and pre - owned classifieds.
Does this mean I can call your shop every Thursday and ask you to hold any bloodwood knives for me??
(It is a joke, but I'm posting this because you know there is some one out there who will probably do this to you)
I also loved Swiftkey when I was running android, but I "consolidated" so my various electronic doodads could communicate with each other better. Swiftkey is really the only thing I miss. Been thinking of seeing if it is available on iDevices.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)