Thread: let's petition Gerber to give us a decent mark 2!

let's petition Gerber to give us a decent mark 2!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Am I the only one who wants to buy a non serrated, non-coated, wasp blade, cats tongue grip mark 2 with a real tang that goes through the whole handle, and is made from some decent steel?

The wasp blade mark 2 is, in my opinion an incredibly attractive knife. In fact it's probably the most attractive of all production daggers imo. Sure it's not a good utility choice. But I've wanted one since I was a kid. By the time I was old enough to get one they were discontinued. Recently I've been on a dagger kick and was of course checking out the new mark 2 only to be disappointed by the ugly serrations, cheap steel, inch long tang, and coated blade. there's just something about the wasp blade profile in non-coated shiny steel, with nice clean lines unbroken by a set of useless serrations. Come on Gerber give us a decent mark 2!

You can petition Gerber all you want, but as long as they're owned by Fiskars and stationed in China, nothing of substance is really going to occur.

Yeah I know it's not likely but wouldn't it be nice. It sucks to see such a beautiful knife with so much history go down the toilet.

The steel is fine for a combat dagger. You don't need edge holding ability on a dagger. You need toughness & the ability to take a fine edge.

I'm a dagger nut too & have several Mark 2s & the wasp blades with cat's tongue handles are my favorites. They're just not going to go to the trouble of having someone hand grind those curves onto the blade anymore. The QC went down too.
    The first new Mark 2 I got had the blade angled to the side noticeably. You owe it to yourself to get one of the older ones. Let me know if you're looking for one of those wasps.

Ontario and SOG both make affordable daggers with a passing resemblance to the MK2, but one edge is serrated while the other is plain. But you can get both for about the price of a single MK2.

Yeah the old ones are awesome but as of now I can't do it. Just bought a HD fat bob and the lady would be pissed to say the least if I bought another toy just yet. So those wasp blades were all hand done?

True even the low carbon steel in a sharpened rr spike would work fine for a combat knife, especially a thrusting tool like the mark 2 but I still want good steel. It's available to them so they should use it. Even just a limited run of high end mark 2's in the midtech price range to cover hand grinding. I'd preorder one.

I just recently put my shop together and have been making my first knives. Haven't had the confidence or skill to try a dagger grind yet much less a wasp dagger grind but once I build up my skills enough I'm going to try making a wasp bladed dagger like those early mark 2's. They just have a flow to them. It's like the corvette stingray of the knife world.

There is a custom option for about $250, maybe a bit less if I remember right. Rudy Pattay does a custom Mark 2 in ATS-34 with a full tang, handle epoxied to tang, & silver soldered guard. The one in the picture has an aluminum handle but I have a couple with micarta & the balance is better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Only if it comes in a Bear Grylls version that I can buy at Walmart for <$40.

The 70th Anniversary edition is exactly what you are looking for, except that the tang is likely still a stick and was a limited edition release. An alternative option is to look into the Gerber Command II but it was also a limited release, has serrations on one side at the tip end, and isn't a true symmetrically double-edged dagger.

Quote Originally Posted by glocker199 View Post
    Only if it comes in a Bear Grylls version that I can buy at Walmart for <$40.
    LOLOLOL Sick burn.

Thread Information