Thread: Cold Steel 1917 Frontier Bowie is out. Anyone ordered?

Cold Steel 1917 Frontier Bowie is out. Anyone ordered?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just noticed that the Cold Steel 1917 Frontier Bowie was on Ebay today. Anyone handled one yet?

Also, whats up with the "1917" part? It looks a bit like they used the same parts & materials as the 1917 Cutlass & they resemble each other a bit. Is that it? I'm looking for a bit of urging to nudge me off of the fence on this one.
    Last edited by flatface77; 03-06-2014 at 06:06 AM.

I've fot a few and hope to do a small review with pictures if I have time. Sheath is an interesting HD leather with metal at the tip and mouth, attached to a frog on a swivel. Pretty cool!
    "If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." - Loren Eiseley

"Kitchen Kydex" DVD sets available. http://rivercitysheaths.com/dvd.html
    River City Sheaths

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sastre View Post
    I've fot a few and hope to do a small review with pictures if I have time. Sheath is an interesting HD leather with metal at the tip and mouth, attached to a frog on a swivel. Pretty cool!
    Is it a full tang design? I couldn't tell from the factory photos.

I'm looking forward to a review. Its hard to find any good pics or videos of it. The one video i found on youtube was horribly lit and and not much better than the pics on the CS website.

There's a vid at youtube (not by a paid dealer, so I won't link) that shows the tang fairly clearly. It looks full tang, in the sense that the tang appears pretty wide and as thick as the rest of the blade, though the handle actually covers the top of the tang. It looks like the handle has a channel routed out of it and then it slides down over the tang and is held in place with the three screws (possibly "Chicago" type screws), leaving the tang exposed on the bottom and at the back of the handle, but covered by about 1/4" of wood at the top (spine side).

Edit: The tang is visible and flush with the handle everywhere below the green line. Above the green line is solid handle.

csfb.jpg
    Last edited by G. Scott H.; 03-06-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Scott H. View Post
    There's a vid at youtube (not by a paid dealer, so I won't link) that shows the tang fairly clearly. It looks full tang, in the sense that the tang appears pretty wide and as thick as the rest of the blade, though the handle actually covers the top of the tang. It looks like the handle has a channel routed out of it and then it slides down over the tang and is held in place with the three screws (possibly "Chicago" type screws), leaving the tang exposed on the bottom and at the back of the handle, but covered by about 1/4" of wood at the top (spine side).

Edit: The tang is visible and flush with the handle everywhere below the green line. Above the green line is solid handle.

csfb.jpg
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. Just checked out the video. I may have to get that big boy.

It's definitely on my list for this year.

I will definitely be getting this one, it about time somebody came out with such a huge production bowie with a .25" thick blade thats actually useable and reasonably priced. You could say im picky about my bowie's though

On my list too. I wonder how it compare against the Trailmaster (one of my favs).

i wanna get one , cool .

I got one, you wont be disapointed.It looks good and is a great chopper and my horse likes it so it must be good

Thread Information