Thread: Snare wire gauge?

Snare wire gauge?

ADVERTISEMENT
    What gauge is best for small animal (rabbit, squirrel sized game) snares? Also, do you prefer a steel wire or copper / brass?

------------------
    It's not the pace of life that concerns me, It's the sudden stop at the end.

I use 7 strand stainless big game fishing line or .024" music wire.
    The reason I use this is because I just happen to have come into several rolls of each during my pass through life.

------------------
    Ron,
    Bremerton, Washington

I use stainless .020 safety wire but I've always been a little concerned that it might be a little too strong (i.e. able to hold on to a critter alittle larger than I bargained for).

I use it because I had it available.

Mike,

24-28 gauge steel wire from any hardware store will do it and do it well!

Best,

Brian.

------------------
    Brian Jones
    Co-moderator
    Wilderness & Survival Skills Forum

I've been using "SEVENSTRAND" fishing leader line available from larger fishing stores. (Pro-Bass here in Cincinnati) It's stainless, very small and light and has a 90# test. You can get the A-3 ferrules also and make your own snares. I make mine with a loop at both ends, one of which has a fishing swivel attached. Combination seems to be very strong in testing with mechanicals, though have never tested it on anything live! 30ft costs about $3.

A few months ago, I visited a website by a guy named Buckshot, who sells snares, and snare kits. I remember a couple things from reading on the site -- one was something about using some sort of special aircraft wire, and the other was about boiling the snares when you get them, and letting them sit outside for awhile, before using them. Anybody follow his line of thoughts? I had lost, but just found his website again. Tho, of course, forgot to copy so could post it here. Will go back and get it and add it in a bit.

Here tis: http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Snare-Sales.htm -- sorry, haven't yet learned how to get html URLs transferred.

Please forgive the unnecessary apology. Guess the link came thru just fine after all. I've made several such apologies in other threads. So embarrassing!

------------------
    Asi es la vida

Bugs

[This message has been edited by Bugs3x (edited 03-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bugs3x (edited 03-29-2001).]

Thread Information