Thread: Sebenza Sharpening

Sebenza Sharpening

ADVERTISEMENT
    I recently bought a large Sebenza, it is very
    sharp. But I suppose that one day or another
    I will have to resharpen it, and because I live in France, I will have to do it myself.
    My question is the following: I have a Spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker, and it is preset for a 20 deg angle, which is larger than the 16-18 deg bevel angle of the Sebenza's blade. Should I use my shaprmaker anyway, or must I proceed otherwise ? If this is the case, could you give me some suggestions ?
    Best regards,
    François.

CRK recommends the Sharpmaker, so proceed with confidence.

------------------
    James Segura
    San Francisco, CA

I just sharpened my Sebenza for the first time.I used my Sharpmaker,but I held the grey stone in my hand like a file and followed the factory 16-18deg angle.I could of just leaned the blade a little while leaving the stones in the base but when I want to follow the factory angle I get more control when I hold them.
    I know CRK recommends the Sharpmaker but do they recommend useing the 20 deg. or lean the knife to match factory edge?
    As far as results with my sharpening I was able to make this thing viciously sharp.This knife cuts!
    scott w

SDW,

I know what you mean about better control when doing it by hand.
    I use the DMT stones and the magic marker method and I get great results.
    Eventually though, I have to break down and get that Sharpmaker 204.

------------------
    I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how a man could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.
    *Abraham Lincoln

Romans 1:20-22

Now that I had my Sebenza mega-sharp by following the factory edge free hand, and used it today I did notice that the edge rolled in some areas,I guess meaning that it was too thin.I will resharpen it useing the Sharpmaker angle to achieve a more durable working edge.
    After some sharpenings I'd imagine it would be a good idea to resharpen the factory angle then back to the sharpmaker angle so that everything stays symetrical.

What are some of the sharpening methods used by the veteran Sebenza owners out there?
    scott w

Spyderco set the stones at a 20' angle -- and CRK recommends it -- because it provides the best general utility angle -- very sharp but durable. If you really want to restore the "factory edge" angle, then the black marker/freehand method is the way to go.

One caveat about the Sharpmaker (been mentioned before): be careful not to drag the tip across/off the stones! Draw the blade up to the tip when sharpening, then attend to the tip afterwards with more precise draws, without allowing it slide off the stone. Otherwise, you risk rounding off the "rounded" tip.

Glen

------------------
    “How unfortunate that youth is wasted on young people." Mark Twain

I've normally used the Sharpmaker for general touch-ups, but pull out the Lansky every now and then (every dozen or so touch-ups) to make sure the entire edge bevel is "fresh". Seems to work for me so far, and I've been nothing but happy with my `benza.

As an aside, I've been helping my brother-in-law strip wallpaper in their house (four rooms), and noticed that he uses one of those "break the dull part off to get to a fresh edge" utility knives, and in scoring the wallpaper, it seems like he's breaking those ends off left and right, while I don't think I've had to touch the Sebenza yet. Strange, but true.

------------------
    Don LeHue
    Royal Oak, Michigan

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Thread Information