Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Favorite Concealed Carry Handgun ?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by greatscoot View Post
    Regarding spring fatigue. I have seen this discussed about auto opening knives and the consensus seems to be that it is either open or closed is fine as it is the opening and closing that actually causes the fatigue.
    +1 on this. You don't need to rotate mags. In fact I probably wouldn't do that unless you have many many mags. You'll want some designated for practice and others strictly for carry/nightstand duty. Most people only have 2-3 mags so if you go to the range a lot you're working the springs a lot and shortening the life span. You don't want the life of the magazine to end when you need it most.

really good thoughts on all of this. thanks for all the responses guys.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    ** Always looking for a GEC 99 Farm&Field. if you have one available, please hit me up. thanks. **

Quote Originally Posted by fishiker View Post
    I've only shot one of the Heritage Arms and I was not the least bit impressed with the accuracy. If it were me I would save up and look for a used Ruger. I still occasionally see good prices on them. The last one I bought was several years ago. It had both cylinders, was in very good+ condition, and I got it for $225. I looked at a used stainless model last weekend at a show with an asking price of $300
    those are great prices. i have been looking off and on for a few months. i haven't seen one for under $400 on gunbroker, that i can recall.

i checked a few local shops over the last week or so, and the cheapest used one i found was $399.

i am in no hurry now though. i would like to get one by spring. will keep my eyese peeled. we do have a big gunshow in February. looking forward to that.

come to think of it, i will give Kittery Trading Post a call too. i noticed that they had real good used gun prices when i stopped in over thanksgiving.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    ** Always looking for a GEC 99 Farm&Field. if you have one available, please hit me up. thanks. **

Quote Originally Posted by YoungCurmudgeon View Post
    Heritage Arms revolvers are ok. They don't have the fit/finish or overall quality of the Ruger, but they are also significantly cheaper. I think it depends on what you want, can afford, and expect. If you want an heirloom that gets passed down to future generations, save and get the Single-Six (or S&W or Colt). But for a single action revolver to plink with, carry in the woods while bumming around, on a trap line, etc the Heritage will probably serve you well.

As for the mag spring issue, I think it's repeated stress not constant pressure that will reduce the life span of your springs. I personally have fired GI issue mags of 45acp that were loaded during the Korean War. They feed just fine and all of the rounds fired. Rotating every few months (or years) is probably a safe bet, but probably won't make a noticeable difference.
    I can remember reading Jeff Cooper saying the same thing about the GI magazines. I just wonder if the high capacity 9mm mags will hold up as well.
    Reading the prices of the Single Six makes me happy I only paid $96 new for mine back in the late 70's.

I just bought a Ruger LC9s 9 mm and really like it. Looking forward to taking Concealed carry class.

Glock 43 for me! I don't leave home without it.

I've only have my 357 LCR for now, but plan on getting a small .380 for edc.
    The LCR is fine for woods carry,(which is what I bought it for) but not as concealable or as light as I want for EDC.

Last edited by mykel m; 12-24-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.
    RIP Jerry 10/3/46 - 12/17/15
    CIDP Sucks!

Alrighty!

mykel, I have the Kimber Micro .380 and love that little guy. Ive shot maybe 25 rounds through it. Which is almost embarrassing to say about a dedicated self-defense gun, but each round was smooth as butter.
    and I also got a small, easily concealable holster for it.

Heres a little cross-post picture from the Show Your Leather! thread. This whole setup is about the size of the palm of my hand.
    What I really like about this is that even with the gun in the holster I can still put it in my jeans pocket or coat pocket no problem.

If you see me out and about there's a 99% chance I'm carrying one or the other a Glock 26 or 43 and my new fave ZT 0562cf. I guess it just depends how I feel that day.

Colt CCO, with an LF serial number. Forged S.S. slide, flat top design with a forged titanium Officers frame. Best .45acp I've ever owned bar none. Bought it in 94 if I recall and haven't bought a handgun since. keepem sharp

The local gun store, Carter's Country, puts the Walther CCP on sale for 429, a gun I have been eyeing for concealed carry for several months now. I decide now's the time to get it. I drive over there only to find they are sold out

Quote Originally Posted by rssajs View Post
    The local gun store, Carter's Country, puts the Walther CCP on sale for 429, a gun I have been eyeing for concealed carry for several months now. I decide now's the time to get it. I drive over there only to find they are sold out
    Can they order one for you at the sale price?

Quote Originally Posted by rssajs View Post
    I don't know, the sales guy did not seem real interested in talking with me, after he told me they were all sold out he turned away and start talking to another customer. My dad tells me I should go online and use Bud's, I've never bought online like that but I am considering trying it out. You need to pay the FFL guy for the transfer but you won't get hit with taxes so it balances out.

Online sellers is how ive bought all but one of my guns. Long as their a reputable dealer I wouldn't be worried about purchasing a gun online.

And Buds Gunshop is about the biggest name out there. I bought a Henry .22 from there and a Beretta M9.

There are only two gun shops that I will actually buy a gun from in store. Joe gun in Midland, MI and Westside armory here in Vegas. Everything else I buy online including parts. Bit of advice on buying online is use an FFL you like because when you get the gun inspect the heck out of it, Functions check, field strip the whole 12 yards. If you find something wrong refuse to accept and contact Buds about making it right, if you accept on the other hand it's yours problems and all. Like everything else online is the way to go. My advice is find a gun shop near you and get friendly with them. When I bought my Glock 42 it was on sale so I went in to check it out explained I wanted to purchase it but didn't have cash on hand so he let me purchase it the next week at sale price. I went in another time looking at a Beretta M9 and got told flat out not to buy it and to wait for the M9A3 to come out.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #140.

Quote Originally Posted by STAINLESS90 View Post
    . I went in another time looking at a Beretta M9 and got told flat out not to buy it and to wait for the M9A3 to come out.

Yep, mine is the updated version. Its the M9A1 with the rail on the bottom. Ill never get rid of it.
    Not really concealable, but a damn fine handgun to wear working outside in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by heefageLA View Post
    Yep, mine is the updated version. Its the M9A1 with the rail on the bottom. Ill never get rid of it.
    Not really concealable, but a damn fine handgun to wear working outside in the woods.

I've got what I believe will be my long time carry gun in my Glock 42 I wanted a 9MM for the range and for the wife in case of home defense. She's a damn good shot with the 1911 but I don't want her to worry about controlling the recoil in a situation like that.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #140.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information