Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Information from Instagram and Facebook!

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_toothpick View Post
    They do have the new heat treat and peened finish.

I bet they got riz's 5.1 corroding as we speak. They hadn't seen enough rust on his to put it together and send it to him, that's why his is taking so long.
    I forgot about Riz! As long as he hasn't gotten his, mine will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Anttheknee View Post
    I hope Guy patents this heat treat when it's perfected. Much like Busse did to SR101
    I think this heat treat is peters ht's doing. And I'm sure (if it is) that they are keeping the concoction under wraps and patenting it. I may be wrong but I thought they said it was their doing.

I think this heat treat is peters ht's doing. And I'm sure (if it is) that they are keeping the concoction under wraps and patenting it. I may be wrong but I thought they said it was their doing.
    Precisely as what I was thinking. If Peter's HT decide to patent it, he might

1) increase the price to any buyers,

2) strike out an exclusive deal with Survive! which might mean a higher price,

3) or worst still, strike out a deal with any bigger companies who might pay higher than S!K and leave S!K out to dry.

I hope things don't go down that route of course because I like S!K and I want to see them grow.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Precisely as what I was thinking. If Peter's HT decide to patent it, he might

1) increase the price to any buyers,

2) strike out an exclusive deal with Survive! which might mean a higher price,

3) or worst still, strike out a deal with any bigger companies who might pay higher than S!K and leave S!K out to dry.

I hope things don't go down that route of course because I like S!K and I want to see them grow.
    I never thought of it that way actually. Guess I was just thinking that if they ever came up with a version of CPM-3V that was tougher and more wear resistant that INFI it would be great for them to be the only company to be able to use it. Not sure what that would mean for us consumers, I guess an increase in price would be a direct result but from a business standpoint they would have a monopoly on the most sought after hard use steel in existence. But as has already been mentioned. It wouldn't be guy's patent alone so it's a moot point I guess.

I never thought of it that way actually. Guess I was just thinking that if they ever came up with a version of CPM-3V that was tougher and more wear resistant that INFI it would be great for them to be the only company to be able to use it. Not sure what that would mean for us consumers, I guess an increase in price would be a direct result but from a business standpoint they would have a monopoly on the most sought after hard use steel in existence. But as has already been mentioned. It wouldn't be guy's patent alone so it's a moot point I guess.
    Yes. As what you have said. I own INFI steel from Bussekin but I always wonder if INFI is really worth so much?

Does anyone know if the new 5.1s being shipped have this new heat treat?
    All of them except yours. I think whatever you order will actually be completely un-heat treated

Quote Originally Posted by redwood22 View Post
    I would say I am 98% certain all the new knives will have the new heat treat, I was just too lazy to search the forums for the exact post(s) to fill in that 2% uncertainty...
    Seriously though, I agree with your 98%. I think everything moving forward will have the new finish and new heat treat...... except this next, small batch of necker II's coming out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Ahh! Thanks for the reminder. Now I remember!
    No problem! I had to dig a little ways down to find an older instagram post.

I bet they got riz's 5.1 corroding as we speak. They hadn't seen enough rust on his to put it together and send it to him, that's why his is taking so long.
    Haha! Poor Riz. I'm seriously going to celebrate the day that he posts his shipping notification. Seems to be the perfect storm of delays for him...

from other threads it appears to be a combination effort with Peters Heat treat and maybe Nathan the machinist and or Dan Keffler? It would be kind of fun, if the combined efforts result in something so different to rename it as something special to denote 3v w/super treat...
    I don't know who was involved with the heat treat being used on new/current models, but that super duper heat treat from the Nathan video came with the disclaimer that it is too hard to mass produce at this time.
    SURVIVOR! #3
    BECKERHEAD #530

Yea guys don't confuse the new heat treat with the one Dan, Nathan, and Guy are trying to work on. They're not the same.

Yea guys don't confuse the new heat treat with the one Dan, Nathan, and Guy are trying to work on. They're not the same.
    I've been watching Nathan for a while and I believe that he is running his 3V harder than Survive is.
    I doubt that Nathan's 3V would be as corrosion resistant as the current Survive models. There is no free lunch.
    I'd be perfectly willing to give up quite a bit of corrosion resistance in exchange for some extra hardness.
    In fact I'd like to see some Survive knives in 4V run a couple of points harder than their current practice with 3V and 20CV.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I don't know who was involved with the heat treat being used on new/current models, but that super duper heat treat from the Nathan video came with the disclaimer that it is too hard to mass produce at this time.
    Yea I did a bad job of separating my thoughts I think. The new-to-survive heat treat should be on all of their newly designed knives.

I do however think if they can scale up the tweaks that Nathan made, that the difference might be great enough that a differentiated name might be worth while. like 3v+ or something, to denote the fact that a knife in the same steel but with a different heat treat would perform significantly differently.
    SURVIVOR! #9

The heat treat for the new production, including the GSO-5.1 and all runs after it, is the best CPM-3V heat treat available on a large scale at this time. Those blades should have the same corrosion resistance as the top knife in that instagram post.

Our current production heat treat protocol is in the same direction but still different from what Nathan has been working on. If his process can be scaled up for full production runs we will probably start doing that, as soon as we can be sure the result will be consistent. Depending on how that affects the cost, it may be something that is only available through that super custom series I have been hinting at lately. If it can't be done on a large scale then maybe we will still offer it in the super custom series, for a price. It is all in the air right now so we will have to just wait and see.

Edit to add: It will probably end up with a special name to help avoid any confusion in the future.

Yea I did a bad job of separating my thoughts I think. The new-to-survive heat treat should be on all of their newly designed knives.

I do however think if they can scale up the tweaks that Nathan made, that the difference might be great enough that a differentiated name might be worth while. like 3v+ or something, to denote the fact that a knife in the same steel but with a different heat treat would perform significantly differently.
    You're all good! I was just clarifying.

Maybe they could call it 3V! With the mandatory exclamation

EDIT: Ellie posted while I was taking my sweet time posting, that is exciting news!
    Last edited by Silver Needle; 02-10-2016 at 03:47 PM.
    SURVIVOR! #3
    BECKERHEAD #530

Quote Originally Posted by SURVIVE! Ellie View Post
    The heat treat for the new production, including the GSO-5.1 and all runs after it, is the best CPM-3V heat treat available on a large scale at this time. Those blades should have the same corrosion resistance as the top knife in that instagram post.

Our current production heat treat protocol is in the same direction but still different from what Nathan has been working on. If his process can be scaled up for full production runs we will probably start doing that, as soon as we can be sure the result will be consistent. Depending on how that affects the cost, it may be something that is only available through that super custom series I have been hinting at lately. If it can't be done on a large scale then maybe we will still offer it in the super custom series, for a price. It is all in the air right now so we will have to just wait and see.

Edit to add: It will probably end up with a special name to help avoid any confusion in the future.
    That's great! I was very impressed with the nail video Nathan did. If you guys make it available in one form or the other that'd be great. And a new name/designation sounds great also. I would definitely consider paying more for what I consider to be quite a dramatic difference in strength/toughness - though i know the current heat treat is no joke as is.

Nice! The Snake Series (Super Special Super Steel) SSSS!!!

D'OH!!! Mine is the top one in the instagram post. Its the extra super secret operator's model and has been corroding in the blood of ISIS terrorists.

Honestly... I ordered the last day or the second to last day the preorders were open. I will get it when I get it... I have a different thought/hope about why its still hiding out in the bowels of the Survive! HQ but wont know if my hypothesis is wrong until the package arrives.

I just consider myself lucky enough to already have a handful of S!Ks. Andy and a few other guys dont even have one S!K yet.

And Standard, I just saved that Gadsden Flag image. Thanks, I like it.

Maybe they're doing a mass boxing of knives like some of there old photos used to show.

Yes, I am one of those with none yet. I keep telling my son that I feel these my replace all others for me. Handle ergonomics are almost everything to me. The best blade is not helpful if the handle is not correct. And these look like some of the best I've seen. Cannot wait to hold them...
    Tall grass, fat cattle, and a good dog...
    www.instagram.com/hawcreekblades/

Precisely Riz. I don't have an S!K at all. What I have now are just proof of purchase that I will be an S!K owner one day so I really can't wait to at least get a 5.1 in first and the rest of my pre-orders can wait. At least give me something to play with first. C'mon Ellie, please? Pretty please?

Oh man..... My imagination is in overdrive right now. I keep picturing this unicorn knife in my head.... The GSO SCS 5.1 in CPM-3S!V..... All of my current knives now are just here to help me get through to the point in time where I will be able to hold on to one of these Super Custom Series heirloom pieces.
    With the advent of this New Nathan/Peters/Guy/Keffeler heat treat I may just have found a cure for my addiction to sharpened steel. Since I am always buying another knife because it will be better then the last one, maybe, just maybe, I will finally be safisfied. But, probably not lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    All of them except yours. I think whatever you order will actually be completely un-heat treated
    Lol if this actually happened I would send it directly to Nathan Corothers with a blank check and a prayer.

Information from Instagram and Facebook!

This is a bit OT, buy Nathan is dropping a chopper on Friday. (And I'm eagerly awaiting the kitchen knife I scored last week. But it's not 3v :-/)

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information