Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Haha! Great thread idea - I'm on mi phurn Jack but I'll add that to my sig later.

Here are my two, one from my father and one from yersel'

- Paul
    Member of "Knife-nerdish-new-made-dads" clan
    Fellow of "Guardians of the Lambsfoot"
    looking for older GEC 25 barlows and jacks, especially Northfield 2012 models

Some lovely lambsfoots (lambsfeet? lambfoots? ) in this thread!

Having had none until recently, I can now proudly say that (largely thanks to Jack's prodding) I now own two. An Arthur Wright in navy blue jigged bone (this one will accompany me to my alma mater in Atlanta, where our school colors are navy blue and old gold):

And because everything's better with a Barlow, I figured the same had to be true for a lambsfoot!

Two of Sheffield's Finest!

(Jack, I'll take a crack at dolling up that graphic when I get back and have a moment to sit down with a photo editor.)

Whenever I've seen these posted, I've paused to look at and admire them. Really interesting blade and handle profile. I don't usually go for single blade straight edges, but something about this pattern kept calling me - or maybe it was Jacks' subliminal influence

I ended up ordering one in ebony, and have enjoyed carrying it since it arrived. Strong pull, wonderfully thick ebony covers, very comfortable in the hand. Overall, a great knife!

Mike

Please accept the following as membership application to the "Guardians of The Lambsfoot". A pattern I hold in high esteem.

Jack, in your opinion does an Ancient TC Barlow qualify as proper lambsfoot?

I really do enjoy seeing the lambs foot knives, thank you all for the posts. Beautiful knives

Great thread by the OP.
    I know realize the difference between a Sheeps foot & a Lambs foot if I'm correct. If not please educate me.
    Thank you.

I have a confession. I don't own a lambsfoot knife. I'm holding out for the right one, with stag covers, clean and flush joints, and fluted bolsters. Something like this, but with a lambsfoot blade.

Quote Originally Posted by harronek View Post

8. Quote Originally Posted by pmek5 View Post
    Great thread by the OP.
    I know realize the difference between a Sheeps foot & a Lambs foot if I'm correct. If not please educate me.
    Thank you.
    You didn't complete your thought about the difference so I can't say if it is correct or not. A lambsfoot tapers.

Quote Originally Posted by kamagong View Post
    I have a confession. I don't own a lambsfoot knife. I'm holding out for the right one, with stag covers, clean and flush joints, and fluted bolsters. Something like this, but with a lambsfoot blade.
    Beautiful knife.

Quote Originally Posted by smiling-knife View Post
    Great idea Jack. Nice knives everyone.

THanks S-K, well it's a bit of fun Nice Ablett my friend

Quote Originally Posted by supratentorial View Post
    Nice idea for a topic. I've been looking for a good example of the lambsfoot.

Using the noparse tag will display the code instead of the photo (so that others can cut and paste).

[URL=http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/jack-black1/media/jack-black1017/Guardians%20of%20The%20Lambsfoot%203_zpsavgilsyz.j pg.html][IMG]http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t610/jack-black1/jack-black1017/Guardians%20of%20The%20Lambsfoot%203_zpsavgilsyz.j pg[/IMG][/URL]
    Thanks a lot Jake, I'll edit that into my previous post

Quote Originally Posted by pmew View Post
    Haha! Great thread idea - I'm on mi phurn Jack but I'll add that to my sig later.

Here are my two, one from my father and one from yersel'

LOL! Very good Paul! Thanks my friend, it's always a treat to see your father's TEW

Quote Originally Posted by TsarBomba View Post

Having had none until recently, I can now proudly say that (largely thanks to Jack's prodding) I now own two. An Arthur Wright in navy blue jigged bone (this one will accompany me to my alma mater in Atlanta, where our school colors are navy blue and old gold):

And because everything's better with a Barlow, I figured the same had to be true for a lambsfoot!

(Jack, I'll take a crack at dolling up that graphic when I get back and have a moment to sit down with a photo editor.)
    Great stuff TB, and thanks Lambsfoot I reckon You got a nice Arthur Wright there, and the IXL is a peach

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
    Whenever I've seen these posted, I've paused to look at and admire them. Really interesting blade and handle profile. I don't usually go for single blade straight edges, but something about this pattern kept calling me - or maybe it was Jacks' subliminal influence

I ended up ordering one in ebony, and have enjoyed carrying it since it arrived. Strong pull, wonderfully thick ebony covers, very comfortable in the hand. Overall, a great knife!

I know what you mean Mike, I generally like the addition of a pen, but I find the Lambsfoot blade so wonderfully versatile that the absence of one isn't missed two much. Of course some Lambsfoot knives do have a secondary pen That's a lovely knife

Quote Originally Posted by redsparrow View Post
    Please accept the following as membership application to the "Guardians of The Lambsfoot". A pattern I hold in high esteem.

Jack, in your opinion does an Ancient TC Barlow qualify as proper lambsfoot?
    You're in my friend, that is an absolute beauty May I ask the maker, unusual to see a bail?

I guessed that question would come up at some point. When Charlie first told me about his idea for an Ancient Barlow, I spent a long time - months - and a lot of reading, trying to find a name for the blade. The best name I could find (I think) was a Short Beak, if I remember rightly. Charlie made a point of not running the edge parallel to the spine, like a true Lambsfoot, and so far as I know that blade shape pre-dates the Lambsfoot like the knives here. So MAYBE it was an early Lambsfoot. Personally, I think it probably had another name, and the Lambsfoot name was coined later, but it's definitely something to debate, and this would be a good place for that debate

There's some good discussion about the Lambsfoot, and why it seems not to have travelled across the pond in this thread of Carl's here (hope I've got the right thread! ): http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...English-taste?

Quote Originally Posted by pmek5 View Post
    Great thread by the OP.
    Thank you.
    Thanks Hopefully the pics will make it clear, but I think an important point is that on a Real Lambsfoot the spine and edge are not parallel, like on a Sheepsfoot, rather there is a subtle slope to the spine as it drops down towards the point
    Last edited by Jack Black; 06-26-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by kamagong View Post
    Funnily enough Christian, I was thinking of Ken's knife even before I scrolled down to the pics! Some of our members have some superb examples of the Lambsfoot

Just adding this Saynor Real stiff pull on this one - definitely an 11!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Here are my four Arthur Wright Lambsfoot knives, in respectively, ebony, buffalo horn, ox horn, and sambar stag.

Great topic for discussion, Jack!

I have admired from afar your lambsfoot knives. So, Friday I ordered one of the ebony Arthur Wright ones. As I have not yet received it, I consider myself a probationary guardian.

Photo to be added when received.

Quote Originally Posted by TsarBomba View Post

TsarBomba, that is a gorgeous, lambsfoot Barlow.
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by RDaneel View Post
    Great topic for discussion, Jack!

I have admired from afar your lambsfoot knives. So, Friday I ordered one of the ebony Arthur Wright ones. As I have not yet received it, I consider myself a probationary guardian.

Thanks a lot Dean, I hope you get a nice one Looking forward to seeing it, and hearing how you find it

So, Friday I ordered one of the ebony Arthur Wright ones. As I have not yet received it, I consider myself a probationary guardian.

If it's anything like mine, you're going to love it! Just need to spend some time upon arrival flushing it out, then a little more sharpening it, then you'll have a hard time putting it down
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
    If it's anything like mine, you're going to love it! Just need to spend some time upon arrival flushing it out, then a little more sharpening it, then you'll have a hard time putting it down
    Thanks for the advice, Mike. That's pretty much what I do with a lot of the knives I get, old and new. I'm also interested how long it will take to get across the pond.
    Dean

Count me in please Jack.

Untitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr
    Last edited by Blake the Blade; 07-10-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Definitely Blake, nice knife

Hope you get yours quick Dean

Quote Originally Posted by pmek5 View Post
    Great thread by the OP.
    Thank you.

It maybe a bit simplistic but I've always thought of a lambsfoot as a 'half' sheepsfoot.

Some stunning knives on here, especially Tsarbomba's

Is the blade on the TC Ancient Barlow considered a Lambs foot? Or were they trying to mimic a old over sharpened blade?

TsarBomba, that is a gorgeous, lambsfoot Barlow.
    Thanks, Dean! FYI I got my lambfoot fairly quickly from the UK (under a week); however you may need to ensure someone is present to sign for it. I requested redelivery but they still wouldn't leave it without an active signature (signing the slip wasn't enough), so the next morning I stopped by my local post office to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by donn View Post
    Some stunning knives on here, especially Tsarbomba's
    Thank you! I think Jack might have some thoughts about the lambfoot vs. sheepsfoot debate.

Jack, I whipped this up after finding a previously-posted lambfoot image that closely matched the one in your signature graphic. I hope this is clean enough for you.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information