Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 705

Thread: Guardians of The Lambsfoot!


  1. Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Thanks, WhittlinAway and Jack

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Paris, Fr
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Very interesting questions my friend In Sheffield, I've only ever heard the knife called a 'Lambsfoot', despite the fact that I've only ever seen it written 'Lambfoot' or 'Lamb Foot' on knife blades. As for the 'Real Lamb Foot', this sounds very strange, but no more than 'Real Knife' or 'Real Barlow Knife'. I've heard it said that the name is taken from the blade's similarity to that of a lamb's foot, or that it has that name because Shepherd's used it to trim the hoofs of lambs. I take both tales with a large pinch of salt though. The Sheepsfoot is a much, much older blade form, and I suspect that calling a slimmer straight-edged blade a 'Lambsfoot' (or Lambfoot) made sense, or was a clever bit of early marketing. I wish I knew more about how the Lambsfoot developed historically, for such a popular English pattern, very little stems to have been written about it, but perhaps if someone has some answers (or some early trade catalogues), this thread will attract them. Certainly in Smith's Key of 1816 (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...tterns-of-1816), the blades which come closest are ones similar to Charlie's Ancient Barlows, but there is nothing quite like the Lambsfoot we know of today, so I think it must have either developed from that earlier style, or been a separate and later (later in the19th century) development
    Just my 2cts : I guess the name came from the shape of the blad, the French name for Sheepfoot being pied de mouton, exactly the same. Knives specifically designed for shepherd's tasks have ...a specific name : piétin in France and körmölö in Hungary for trimming sheep's hooves :




  3. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    22,366
    Very interesting JP

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    West coast Canada
    Posts
    14,069
    Gotta post this guy here although it's in another thread!
    It belongs with the others. The handles are from the same batch of special horn that Jack has on his latest, and is a gift from Jack!!
    Thank you my nimble friend in Leeds!! It's a beauty!!



    To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    Gotta post this guy here although it's in another thread!
    It belongs with the others. The handles are from the same batch of special horn that Jack has on his latest, and is a gift from Jack!!
    Thank you my nimble friend in Leeds!! It's a beauty!!



    Incredible!! Looks mesmerizing!

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    22,366
    Love your new sig line Charlie, and thanks for believing in my nimbleness!

  7. #127
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    646
    Sorry for my ignorance - i've never heard of a lambsfoot blade shape before. From what I can gather it's similar to a sheepsfoot but with a more gradual drop to the tip?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    22,366
    Quote Originally Posted by irona View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance - i've never heard of a lambsfoot blade shape before. From what I can gather it's similar to a sheepsfoot but with a more gradual drop to the tip?
    Welcome irona Typically, a Lambsfoot blade looks like this (below). Slimmer than a Sheepsfoot, but also note the edge and spine are not usually parallell, like on a Sheepsfoot. If you look through this thread you'll see some examples


  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    SE TN
    Posts
    2,929
    Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    Gotta post this guy here although it's in another thread!
    It belongs with the others. The handles are from the same batch of special horn that Jack has on his latest, and is a gift from Jack!!
    Thank you my nimble friend in Leeds!! It's a beauty!!

    It's a beauty!! Charlie it is indeed a beauty my friend! Bring that jewel to T-ville so we can get some finger prints on it! Well done Mr. Jack Black!
    ~ Ron

    Wanted: TK Cubans - users okay - buy or trade.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    22,366
    Thanks Ron

  11. #131
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Welcome irona Typically, a Lambsfoot blade looks like this (below). Slimmer than a Sheepsfoot, but also note the edge and spine are not usually parallell, like on a Sheepsfoot. If you look through this thread you'll see some examples

    I see what you mean. Can't say I've ever seen one before - I'd imagine they're somewhat obscure and if I have I've probably mistaken it for a sheepsfoot; but I definitely want to give it a try! Do you know of any specific knives to keep an eye out for? Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    734
    Echoing Ron here, but very nice new addition Charlie, and great job Jack!

    Does a "modified" lambfoot count? Just received it yesterday, and man, does it have great snap to it. Came pretty sharp too

    Mike

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    22,366
    Quote Originally Posted by irona View Post
    I see what you mean. Can't say I've ever seen one before - I'd imagine they're somewhat obscure and if I have I've probably mistaken it for a sheepsfoot; but I definitely want to give it a try! Do you know of any specific knives to keep an eye out for? Thanks!
    Unusual in the US (becoming increasingly less so), very common in Britain. If you read back through the thread, there's a list of companies who manufacture Lambsfoot patterns, and many old Sheffield makers (now defunct) made the pattern, and they are still available. Out of the ones available today, I personally like the ones made by Arthur Wright & Son of Sheffield, they're handmade and in carbon-steel (though they make a few in stainless too), a good working knife at a reasonable price I think

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
    Echoing Ron here, but very nice new addition Charlie, and great job Jack!

    Does a "modified" lambfoot count? Just received it yesterday, and man, does it have great snap to it. Came pretty sharp too

    Thanks Mike, definitely a Lambsfoot my friend, and a nice example I think Welcome to the Guardians!

  14. #134
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    646
    Great! I'll be sure to check them out


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #135
    I'd forgotten how irritating Slater's website is. A list of names and prices below a picture of a pile of knives that don't match the list. An Ettrick is listed, for instance, but there isn't one in the picture.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
    Posts
    670
    I was in my kitchen, so there was no reason for my lambsfoot to cut these spare ribs, other than the simple fact that I enjoy using it.



    As Jack predicted, I'm finding the lambsfoot to be quite versatile. I bet my fellow Guardians do, too. How about some more action shots, folks?
    Greg

    WTB GEC #38 in Gabon Ebony, Old Green Jig Bone, or Chestnut Peach Seed Jigged Bone

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    22,366
    Quote Originally Posted by scrteened porch View Post
    I'd forgotten how irritating Slater's website is. A list of names and prices below a picture of a pile of knives that don't match the list. An Ettrick is listed, for instance, but there isn't one in the picture.
    It has the look of something which was posted online a decade ago, and then forgotten about. The firm are still going, but I don't know how they manage

    Quote Originally Posted by WhittlinAway View Post
    I was in my kitchen, so there was no reason for my lambsfoot to cut these spare ribs, other than the simple fact that I enjoy using it.



    As Jack predicted, I'm finding the lambsfoot to be quite versatile. I bet my fellow Guardians do, too. How about some more action shots, folks?
    Great stuff Greg, glad you're finding the Lambsfoot useful Be great to see more shots of them in use

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    22,366
    My Alfred Blackwell Lambsfoot opening a packet of Fig Rolls


  19. #139
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt. Keira NSW
    Posts
    4,753
    Aahh ahhahhh hah aarrg ..youve got squashed fly biccies.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    22,366
    Quote Originally Posted by meako View Post
    Aahh ahhahhh hah aarrg ..youve got squashed fly biccies.
    Aren't they Garibaldis?


Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •