Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Tiger Claw Sharpening

Introducing Tiger Claw Sharpening

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!

Welcome to our home on Bladeforums. You can also find us on the web at: http://tigerclawsharpening.com/

We would like to begin with a big shoutout to Andy Roy and his team at Fiddleback Forge knives for graciously allowing me to post this on the sub-forum.

Fiddleback Forge stands by your knives. They offer a spa treatment for knife refurbishing and sharpening.

For those learning to DIY, we also have the unofficial Fiddleback maintenance, care, optimization, and improvement thread hosted here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ovement-thread!

Holiday gift cards are now available!

Services

At Tigerclaw Sharpening, we handle every knife with great care and appreciation.

Upon receiving your knives, we will:

1. Assess the acuity of the blade edge and examine the apex of the edge for any damage.

2. Working with you and our consideration of the knife-maker’s original vision, establish a plan of approach.

3. Create, polish, or repair an edge to your specifications, removing any burrs along the entire cutting length of the blade.

4. Evaluate the edge, ensuring sharpness.

5. Protect the knife with mineral oil or Renaissance Wax prior to shipping.

Current Service Fee Structure

Blades up to 6″ total edge length: $10 per blade, 600–2000 grit edge (6–15 microns).

Blades over 6″ total edge length: $20 per blade, 600–2000 grit edge (6–15 microns).

^Let me know if you prefer a toothier edge on your knives. By default, I will take them just beyond a working edge based on the upper grit range listed above.

Additional Services

Thinning/re-profiling: Add $10 for blades under 6″ and $20 for blades over 6″.

^If your blade has never been sharpened before, this service may be necessary to establish an acute bevel during the first session.

Extra-fine polished edge: $5 per blade, sharpened on a 10k grit stone and stropped on green compound or bare smooth leather (<2 microns)

Tip repair: Add $5.

Strop Purchasing and Maintenance

Standard white pine field-grade leather strop: $12 (choose coarse black or fine green compound).

Clean and renew strop compound: $5.

Shipping and Fees

Small USPS priority return with insurance and fees: Add $14.00 per box.

Medium USPS priority return with insurance and fees: Add $22.00 per box.

Large USPS priority return with insurance and fees: Add $28.00 per box.

^Please note, final shipping charges may vary based on value of knives, processing fees, and number of boxes needed to return your items.
    In the event of an overcharge, you will be refunded the difference unless alternative instructions have been provided.

I am open to using alternative carriers by request.

Exclusions

At this time, we do not offer full re-grinding services, hollow grinding, or convex edges. All edges are traditional V or compound V double bevels.

Here are a few samples of Fiddleback Forge and related brand knives I have had the pleasure of working with:

Fiddleback Forge Runt

W.A. Surls Patch Knife

Fiddleback Forge Camp Nessie

Fiddleback Forge Duke

Fiddleback Forge Hiking Buddy

Fiddleback Forge Bushfingers

Fiddleback Forge Runt and Fleming Itty Bitty Wharncliffe

Other selections may be viewed here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...7#post16295517

Thank you!
    Last edited by Panthera tigris; 10-29-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Love the Runt versus Itty Bitty picture.....
    Noah

SURVIVOR #99

Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller
    Love the Runt versus Itty Bitty picture.....
    Thanks. I work that Fleming Itty Bitty so hard on all types of gritty cardboard. CPM D2 has far exceeded my expectations.

The flame boxelder burl Fiddleback has been using lately is really appealing from a photography/appreciation/ecology/hard use perspective.

Just sent you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #blackwoksmatter

Quote Originally Posted by varga49
    Just sent you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the Fiddleback Forge forums, I'm glad my post led you here and I will get back to you immediately.

Sending a PM....

Chris D.

Congrats!

Congrats dude; looking forward to seeing more of your work! I was toying with offering sharpening/spa services a while back, but I barely have any time these days; way to step up!
    "Truth is unpopular because it is unquestionably correct."

Quote Originally Posted by CAD

Sending a PM....

Chris D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odaon

Congrats!
    Much appreciated, gentlemen. Thank you for the interest and support.

Quote Originally Posted by xxwjtxx View Post
    Congrats dude; looking forward to seeing more of your work! I was toying with offering sharpening/spa services a while back, but I barely have any time these days; way to step up!
    I really enjoy hitting the stones on the weekend and spending some downtime with knives. My wife likes them too and she is going to be using the power tools to cut the strop boards and assemble the materials. It is a change of gear for us that should help us contribute to this community while keeping the hands busy. Be sure I am referring to your thread for backup and preparation
    Last edited by Panthera tigris; 07-18-2016 at 06:52 PM.

Good stuff Jarrett. I'm sure you will do a stellar job.

Excellent!

PM coming...as soon as I decide what I'm sending you!

Good stuff Jarrett. I'm sure you will do a stellar job.
    In less than 6 hours, my post reach has made it over 10,000 miles. I am humbled. Your edges look killer too. Thanks for the support.

Excellent!

PM coming...as soon as I decide what I'm sending you!
    I can't fix your Arowana man, I'm so sorry
    Last edited by Panthera tigris; 07-19-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Congrats on your new adventure! I will definitely keep you mind for services....Good luck!!!!
    Paul
    🔪🔪🔪

Nice looking thread! I wish you well on your sharpening fun!
    Andy Roy

In the last year and a half Jarrett has sharpen many of my knifes. His knowledge of different steel types and his sharpening skills are outstanding. He is a pleasure to deal with and everything I have sent him has been done in a timely manner. I look forward to doing business with Jarrett in the future. He is a Great guy to work with.
    Thanks
    Steve O
    BEER!
    An excellent source of happiness.

Steve o's standing orders are usually "Beat the heck out of this knife and tell me what you think"... Many of the awesome knives posted above came from his collection.

I've been using an Edge Pro for about a year but only to put V or compound edges on my Spyderco folders. I have not yet attempted convex edges on any of my Fiddlebacks, WA Surls or Osprey K&T knives and have just been using a strop for basic edge maintenance.

If the Patch below looks familiar, its because I bought it from Jarrett. He had changed the angle a bit while resharpening the edge. Although this is a current picture after my use, it came to me with a really nice polished edge that still performs extremely well. I can attest that Jarrett knows his stuff and does top notch work. He definitely put a nicer edge on this Patch than I feel I could have accomplished.

Jarrett,
    Congrats on tackling this venture, and for that nice Patch too.

I am feeling immediate regret over the patch

Thanks for your input and let me know how it holds up. Your pictures are fantastic.

What kind of prices are we talking about, and are you limiting your services to Fiddlebacks?

Quote Originally Posted by madcap_magician
    What kind of prices are we talking about, and are you limiting your services to Fiddlebacks?
    Email sent.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information