Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 336

Thread: Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,415

    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Yeah, I'm a sucker for a wharncliffe and the few Zulus I see drive me nuts. Zulus are like a wharnie and a spear point got busy and had the perfect kid.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopic1 View Post
    Tanks Dennis, like I said to Tim, let me know if you ever need any Bocote.
    Thanks, Scott! I haven't used what you gave me already, but look forward to trying it!

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    9,999
    Yep, I have more than a few GEC 74 Vipers love the Wharncliffe.


    Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,415
    I always have a viper and a peanut in my pocket..... Well that just sounds dirty

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,918
    Quote Originally Posted by lessismore View Post
    I always have a viper and a peanut in my pocket..... Well that just sounds dirty
    Lol!
    My favorite is the stag Willamette Whittler my wife got me for our anniversary.
    Just love that one.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,415
    Nice, I've got a #57 whittler that I'm fond of. Those Willamettes are nice.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern plains of Montana
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopic1 View Post
    Tim, if you need some handle material in wood let me know. I have literally more Bocote than I can ever use in a lifetime, and always have something interesting around the shop.
    Thanks I appreciate the offer. You mentioned denim micarta...do you have a good supplier for that? I've been looking everywhere for denim and dark navy blue micarta or g10.
    Tim

    "The devil's name is dullness."
    Robert E. Lee


    Tim Knotts Knives

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    9,999
    No I don't Tim I was going to try and make some.


    Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Up Drift Creek Without a Paddle
    Posts
    32,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopic1 View Post
    No I don't Tim I was going to try and make some.
    TRY? What's this try stuff? You're going to make some.
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete and DougC. You were the best of us and will not be forgotten.

    Clan o' the cowbell

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by protourist View Post
    TRY? What's this try stuff? You're going to make some.
    "There is no try, there is only do."

    I used to make it and had fair success. About a week ago, a friend of mine asked if I would sharpen the knife I made for him about 5 years ago. I think it was my fifth or sixth knife. It was some homemade mycarta I made out of a polyester shirt. It still looked good and a quick buff brought it back to life well.

    I don't fool with it anymore, it's an absolute mess to make and I really like woods. I used fiberglass resin and the only times I had problems was with porous material like burlap,sometimes if I didn't get enough resin in, it would get crumbly. But I still have burlap vise jaws that have been on there for five years and they're still in good shape.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Up Drift Creek Without a Paddle
    Posts
    32,787
    Quote Originally Posted by lessismore View Post
    "There is no try, there is only do."

    I used to make it and had fair success. About a week ago, a friend of mine asked if I would sharpen the knife I made for him about 5 years ago. I think it was my fifth or sixth knife. It was some homemade mycarta I made out of a polyester shirt. It still looked good and a quick buff brought it back to life well.

    I don't fool with it anymore, it's an absolute mess to make and I really like woods. I used fiberglass resin and the only times I had problems was with porous material like burlap,sometimes if I didn't get enough resin in, it would get crumbly. But I still have burlap vise jaws that have been on there for five years and they're still in good shape.
    I'm sure he'll find out whether it's worth it or not. It's probably not but I know you guys well enough to know that if you try something, it will be done.
    By the way, does anyone know if Fod still makes glow in the dark g10 for scales? The orange ones I had from him were fantastic on a hunting knife.
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete and DougC. You were the best of us and will not be forgotten.

    Clan o' the cowbell

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,415
    Definitely, I didn't mean to come off discouraging. It's a fun, messy project.
    Glow in the dark liners would be sweet on a hunter.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern plains of Montana
    Posts
    232
    Has anyone tried corian or hi-macs as scale material? They have some colors I like but I've read mixed reviews on it. Might just have to buy some and try it out.
    Tim

    "The devil's name is dullness."
    Robert E. Lee


    Tim Knotts Knives

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    9,999
    Quote Originally Posted by protourist View Post
    TRY? What's this try stuff? You're going to make some.
    I will try and do.....


    Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Courtyard, Marriott
    Posts
    11,281
    Quote Originally Posted by T.Knotts View Post
    Thanks I appreciate the offer. You mentioned denim micarta...do you have a good supplier for that? I've been looking everywhere for denim and dark navy blue micarta or g10.
    Green canvas micarta is all you need

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Knotts View Post
    Has anyone tried corian or hi-macs as scale material? They have some colors I like but I've read mixed reviews on it. Might just have to buy some and try it out.
    I made a pair of 1911 slabs out of a free sample of Corian. Dupont would send one 4" X 4" X .5" sample for for free. Unfortunately, selecting a color was a waste of time.

    I ordered a gray/brown/sand. What they sent was a purpleish grey. They came out a little uneven but it was a fun project and for having only hand tools and a hand drill I didn't do terribly bad. It was very easy to work with and polished up even easier.

    You can get boxes of scrap Corian on eBay to mess around with.

  16. #136
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    9,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupestris View Post
    Green canvas micarta is all you need.
    You have issues, don't ya?


    Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Courtyard, Marriott
    Posts
    11,281

  18. #138
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    9,999


    Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

  19. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,415

  20. #140
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    9,999
    Oh you are a terrible person......


    Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •