Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_H View Post
    . . .
    I wood glued that and a small start-up in the kerf last weekend and just left it clamped all week. I think it will stay put now.

. . .
    I have a similar situation (head sits on a shoulder and crack starting down the shaft). What do you mean by "start-up in the kerf"? tia

Bob

There was about .5" crack at the base of the kerf on one side. I spread it just a little and worked wood glue into it.

Not much to worry over but since I already had it apart I figured, why not?

Thought i'd throw this in the thread,

The Finnish folk metal band, Wolfhorde had an interesting axe on one of their album covers

Weird lookin thing

I should get pics of my rakas' fathers axes, he had some antique ones

Quote Originally Posted by Dair View Post
    Thought i'd throw this in the thread,

The Finnish folk metal band, Wolfhorde had an interesting axe on one of their album covers

Weird lookin thing

I should get pics of my rakas' fathers axes, he had some antique ones
    Please do Dair! Maybe that one is related to one of these patterns:

Tervapiiluja – Google translates “Terva” as “Tar” - "sap" maybe?

I originally misspelled it... Try a Google translation from Finnish to English the term “Terva pilluja” for a laugh.

Please do Dair! Maybe that one is related to one of these patterns:

Hey, cool! This is the first time seeing anything like that beyond the pic i posted! I have looked around before too

I originally misspelled it... Try a Google translation from Finnish to English the term “Terva pilluja” for a laugh.
    I am still laughing haha! Gotta be careful with Finnish, one wrong letter and it can result in a slap across the face! haha

I'm not exactly sure,by the photo,but axes shaped like that could be a few different ones.A broad-axe,for the finer end of the finish-work on beams,for one.

But also any number of peat,sod,et c. axes.Some of these,over time,+neglect,+abuse,can become indistinguishable from the wood-planing axes.The difference,really,could be hard to spot,thickness,probably,and of course the grind itself.

I've a few cool photos of Swedish "jordyxa","earth"-axe (for sod),and also the "torvyxa",the "peat-axe",and this is what that root-word "terva" refers to,i'd bet...turf,or peat....

Look in the Billnas catalog at the #31,yet another type of either of these two,jord or torv/terva.......

And here,just for a few photos of these:http://rusknife.com/topic/11230-%D1%...36#entry690164

Rusknife.com is an terrific site in general but the axe guys there come up with some of the coolest stuff.

http://rusknife.com/topic/11230-%D1%...36#entry690164

On the same page is this is a monster kirves:

Wow.

I had not looked closely at the catalog entries for the 30/4-30/7 but it looks like they are the same head but one is listed as “Musta” or “Black” and the other “Hiottu” or “Ground”.
    Does Black probably mean “unground” in this context?

That broad axe looks like it used to be a kirve and somebody added the broad axe blade.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread Information