Thread: Camillus 1760/Mil-k 818 question

Camillus 1760/Mil-k 818 question

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I have been gathering a few of these over the years, and have started wondering if anyone knows the differences between the Camillus 1760/Mil-k 818 knives to know what change is indicated by the letters A-D. The final change from C to D was the deletion of the pin on the screw driver/cap lifter, but what is the difference between the Mil-k 818C and the Mil-K 818B? For that matter, does anyone know what makes the Mil-k818B different from the Mil-k 818A? I have guessed that the Mil-k 818A was all stainless with both handle sides the same (like on the Kingstons and Stevensons), while the Mil-k 818B has the cut out for the awl. Can anyone shed some light for me? Thanks!

MIL-K-818C was published 8 June 1964. MIL-K-818D was published 5 April 1985.
    There were at least 3 amendments written to MIL-K818C. Amendment 1 was published 29 September 1972. This amendment dropped the inclusion of the pin on the screwdriver blade. The change over from pin to no pin happened during 1973 production.

You can go to "U.S. military knives" and look under "Govt. knife & bayonet document reprints for sale" to order reprints of the 4 versions of the MIL-K-818 specifications.

Thanks! That clears up the difference between Mil-K-818D and Mil-K-818C. Anyone know the difference between Mil-K-818A and Mil-K-818B?

I do not know the specification numbers, but early knives have the brass liners.

Thanks sir! Do you have a photo of the other side, the side without the US mark? If not, does that knife have a cut out for the awl or are both sides the same except for the US mark? A nice early example!

Unfortunately, this is not my knife and photos.
    That's all there is.

1949 would certainly be the "A" variation, I would think.

Thread Information