Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New GEC #13 Congress series (Clerk, Speaker Jack and Whip)

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by rishma View Post
    OK I must admit I don't understand the Northfield thing. Why would I want that ?
    Lined bolsters, cut swedges, fancier shields. Those little touches make a BIG difference to some of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully there's some SFO's... I'd like some camel bone from KSF or Natural Canvas Micarta from CK ...

Quote Originally Posted by choombak View Post
    Two separate GEC brands, separate cover offerings, better fit-and-finish on Northfield than Tidioute resulting in a price difference. Exotic covers go on Northfield. There are exceptions, but you get the idea.

Having said that, I love the single-blade Whip... hope GEC releases more info soon... possibly these are single-spring offerings?
    Thanks for the explanation. Since I am always looking for users, i'm not sure fancier is an offering that I need.

Quote Originally Posted by cbr1000 View Post
    Hopefully there's some SFO's... I'd like some camel bone from KSF or Natural Canvas Micarta from CK ...
    That single wharnie model sure would look nice with an arrowhead shield and bohncliffe blade!

I really like the Speaker Jack. They look awesome and remind me of that one year's forum knife.

Quote Originally Posted by rishma View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Since I am always looking for users, i'm not sure fancier is an offering that I need.
    This is exactly why the northfield trim would be ideal on the #13 for me. A user for more fancy occasions, weddings, holidays, things of this nature. A congress in my head is a more sophisticated upscale design.A Northfield finish I think puts the knife truer to its roots. To each his own.
    up the irons

Sweet! I like all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by tstaut View Post
    That single wharnie model sure would look nice with an arrowhead shield and bohncliffe blade!

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if that's what the box of giraffe bone at GEC is for?

9. Quote Originally Posted by choombak View Post
    Two separate GEC brands, separate cover offerings, better fit-and-finish on Northfield than Tidioute resulting in a price difference. Exotic covers go on Northfield. There are exceptions, but you get the idea.

Having said that, I love the single-blade Whip... hope GEC releases more info soon... possibly these are single-spring offerings?
    The fit should be the same. The finish is different but whether or not it is "better" is a matter of perspective. Their Northfield line typically has polished blades. I actually prefer the finish on the Tidioute blades. The Northfield line often (much too often in my opinion) has pinched bolsters and I rarely like pinched bolsters. Also, I don't like the UN-X-LD shield... or the cloud shield.

BUT I do like long pulls which are usually reserved for the Northfield knives. And they'll probably put a bevel on the bolsters for the congress jack and that's fine with me. Also, they could use a classic shield instead of their UN-X-LD shield... I doubt it... but the shield from the forum knife would be a great choice.

Agreed on the shields
    up the irons

These would actually look really nice with elk and an acorn...
    -Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Wilted Kilt View Post
    These would actually look really nice with elk and an acorn...
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Actually anything with the acorn is my preference, but the elk is supreme.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ryan

Woo hoo!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Is the blade length on the speaker jack the same as on the 2013 forum knife? Seems a little too long and I understand it wasnt popular (read all about that knife this morning thanks to the search function).

I'd love to see a Gabon Ebony Whip with a Hot Dog shield!
    - Shawn

ISO Ebony Barehead Jacks

If I prefer Tidioute to Northfield, depends entirely on the individual knife and its choice of scales. Some suit one, some the other. Northfield does not have superior fit & finish, this is a misunderstanding that morphs to a myth. It implies that Tidioute are more crude, rough & ready, they merely have less ornate embellishments and certain scale materials (Stag et al.) are reserved for the Northfield.

That said, on this pattern I'd really like to see two items on the Northfield version (if it happens) Not pinched bolsters but retain the Rat-Tails from the Forum Knife 13 and a central Gimp or Propeller style shield, this would really bring on the pattern, single-spring version would be a gasser too.

I like the sounds of that Will. I also might like to see a traditional curved bar shield centered on the handle. Take the shield that's on the new HJ10 and put a curve to it. Just like the 2013 Forum knife.
    --Bob
    "When the World is at Peace, a gentleman keeps his Sword by his side." - Wu Tsu

The Courthouse Whittler shield is quite nice as well.
    --Bob
    "When the World is at Peace, a gentleman keeps his Sword by his side." - Wu Tsu

Quote Originally Posted by Camillus View Post
    Is the blade length on the speaker jack the same as on the 2013 forum knife? Seems a little too long and I understand it wasnt popular (read all about that knife this morning thanks to the search function).
    It appears to be the same length. I also found the main on the Irish Jack to be too long for my personal taste but there are many who love it. It really is just a matter of personal taste. I am certainly intrigued by the office clerk and the potential handle material that is pictured.
    Last edited by Tilley Knife; 10-14-2016 at 12:10 PM.
    Maker of traditional, hard working, fixed blade knives and leather work
    Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. - Mark 12:30
    WTB 77 Barlow single clip or spear in ebony or blackwood

I could take or leave the northfield trim on the speaker Jack, but I really hope the clerk comes with some fancier options. The curved shield would be killer! I also wouldn't mind seeing some abilone.
    But in a perfect world I would like to see the clerk with polished blades, a curved(straight would work too) bar shield, Blackwood or ebony, and fluted bolsters.
    I was originally excited for the Jack, but the more I think about it the more I love the clerk.
    One thing is for sure, though. This is going to be an amazing run!
    -Erik

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information