Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Found dead axes and hatchets.

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Hi guys. I now have the imgur account, and I'm trying to figure out how to get pics from my phone to imgur to here. For starters one of them is the Craftsman axe in post #41. Once I get this photo posting figured out I'll post good pics of each head that is up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyj View Post
    Hi guys. I now have the imgur account, and I'm trying to figure out how to get pics from my phone to imgur to here. For starters one of them is the Craftsman axe in post #41. Once I get this photo posting figured out I'll post good pics of each head that is up for grabs.
    Here is a link to some info on uploading from various places including applications for smartphones.

Once you upload the photos, you will need to get the URL for the image. The URL should end in something like .Jpg or something similar. You can wrap the URL in [IMG]URL[/IMG] or use the button in the message editor on this site that has the tree on it to create the tags for you.

Thanks Hacked for this ^^^. Posting pics is all Chinese to me. I still don't get it. I have five heads in the process of being cleaning up. Once they are presentable I'll let you know. Thank you.

Cleaning up the heads? That's half the fun for us.

You can email me the pictures and I can post them for you.

Thanks Hacked for this ^^^. Posting pics is all Chinese to me. I still don't get it. I have five heads in the process of being cleaning up. Once they are presentable I'll let you know. Thank you.
    Hey Scottyj, long time now talk. Been busy with a new job but would definitely be interested in anything you find and would definitely pay shipping and compensate for your time. Not sure where you're located but would especially be interested in anything out of Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Jlemay18 View Post
    Hey Scottyj, long time now talk. Been busy with a new job but would definitely be interested in anything you find and would definitely pay shipping and compensate for your time. Not sure where you're located but would especially be interested in anything out of Maine
    Hey man. Email sent. Let me know.

Finally fished up the reprofiling work on the Plumb today. Had to pick up a new file and then spent a few sessions working on the bevels. Finally got them to a point were I'm happy with them and formed an edge. This is probably the first text this thing has been sharp in years. Now to pick out a handle so I can get this thing back into use. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacked View Post
    Finally fished up the reprofiling work on the Plumb today. Had to pick up a new file and then spent a few sessions working on the bevels. Finally got them to a point were I'm happy with them and formed an edge. This is probably the first text this thing has been sharp in years. Now to pick out a handle so I can get this thing back into use. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
    Awesome! Cant wait to see it.

Awesome! Cant wait to see it.

The bevel is still rather thick, but with as thick as the bit is I'm thinking that's partly by design. It might get thinned out some later but I'm going to hang it, hone it, and run it as it is. I imagine this will be used primarily for splitting, but time will tell. I'll load some more photos in a bit.

Edit: Not leaving well enough alone, just after I posted this I ended up filing back the bevels a bit more. Still might do a bit more work on them in the future, but I'm ready to track down a handle at this point.
    Last edited by Hacked; 03-20-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Dude that looks great! Its come a long way. I'm glad you are bringing it back to life. Nice job.

Looks like a nice grind to me.

It does look like you spent some time on doing that one Hacked.

The bevel is still rather thick, but with as thick as the bit is I'm thinking that's partly by design.
    Plumb had quite a lot invested in being entwined with timbersport competition. They new what they were doing. I have one just like that, 3 and a half pounds. It is definitely set up to perform in softwood.
    Last edited by Woodcraft; 03-20-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm slow going with my axes mostly due to a lack of spare time. I took over as Cubmaster for my sons pack which hasn't helped in the least. This one did require a good deal of filing. Here's a couple of better pictures. I broke out a classic lens to take pictures of a classic axe.

And here's a before picture after hitting it with the wire wheel to clean it up. I tried to take out some of the curve from the bit in my reprofiling. You can also see how steep the bevels were if you look close.

Last edited by Hacked; 03-23-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Looks awesome man! Great work!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information