Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Simon met a Pieman

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by lessismore View Post
    Photobucket decides to live again!
    Should we call this a Key? It's fit through the scale, now that it's in I can line up the tang and drill the other pin holes. I held off on the template and did this one freehand, I figured we'd see how this works out and if it's something you guys like, I'll make a template to speed up and ease the process for the next ones.
    Looking good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lessismore View Post
    Photobucket decides to live again!
    Should we call this a Key? It's fit through the scale, now that it's in I can line up the tang and drill the other pin holes. I held off on the template and did this one freehand, I figured we'd see how this works out and if it's something you guys like, I'll make a template to speed up and ease the process for the next ones.
    OK, now that is cool!!! I'm really hoping that peens well, because it is a very unique idea, and the nickel silver combined with the blackwood just looks SO good!!!

I'm a Freedom-Loving, Constitution-Supporting, "Deplorable."
    How about you?

Thank you to our Veterans!!!

I think it has potential. Peening will be tricky, but as long as I keep the key level on the anvil the whole time and keep checking for movement back and forth as I go, we'll be good. If I go past the point where it snugs up, I risk too much pressure and it may want to split. The other scale is almost done, I'll get some more pics up soon.

So far we're in good shape.

Getting the scales shaped closer, gotta contour and finish the fronts.

That is going to look great! just be careful peening the key, Blackwood is super hard as you already know it will spleet if it's shocked.

Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

Waiting with baited breath!!
    Clan of the Cowbell. Go Raptors!!!!

If I can pull it off, I think it might look nice. The plan is to push the edges out instead of spread the whole pin so I don't stress the wood. Glancing taps outward instead of downward, I'd that makes sense. It worked on a test piece of nickel, but when it counts.....is when it counts!

One thing that might help also is radiusing the corners a tiny bit, it may lessen the stress points a little, also annealing the nickel silver may make it easier to peen.

Good ideas Scott, I noticed it work hardens pretty quick. Can you recommend an anneal process? It's a heat and quench for most non-ferrous metals right? I haven't annealed anything but steel, but I understand it's somewhat opposite.

I heat it until reddish orange and let it cool either slowly or in my quench bucket I haven't noticed a difference yet. It seems to get a little softer like that but it doesn't seem to respond as well as brass or copper do. Nickel is a lot tougher closer to working mild steel, there may be better ways out there but that's what I do. I forgot to mention 416 stainless may be another option as well, I will be trying to work with some 416 down the road, from what I hear it's really nice to work with, I'll keep you tuned in.

Thanks Scott, I'll try that out tonight. 416 would be nice, I like the way nickel dulls, but stainless pins, key and blade would be nice to try on one of these.

I like the way nickel looks also, I have two clip points and another up swept hunter on the work bench right now with nickel guards that should be done in a couple weeks.

Looking forward to seeing those, are you going to post them in your album? You know if you ever wanted to post any pictures or start a thread in here you're more than welcome to.

And Thumpling!

Where is that damn "Like" button?

Looking good my friend, lookin' gooooood!!!

I'm a Freedom-Loving, Constitution-Supporting, "Deplorable."
    How about you?

Thank you to our Veterans!!!

Starting to take shape. Need to clean up the blade and get ready to attach the scales.

Blackwood shines up nice.

HEY!!! Cut that out!!!
    I'm droolin' over here!
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete and DougC. You were the best of us and will not be forgotten.

Clan o' the cowbell

We're getting there Mack, I'm really looking forward to how this is gonna turn out, so far, the stars have kind of aligned on this build. Which means a complete catastrophe is right around the corner!

The nickels annealed, and the blade is cleaned up ready for epoxy. Normally I'd be up to the wee hours, but I've gotta get some of that sleep stuff tonight.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information