Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: On the work bench

On the work bench

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    The three knives pictured here are 2 clip points 7 1/2'' and 9'' I believe, and a 6'' upswept brow tine hunter. The brow tine hunter has a mammoth ivory spacer and the two clip points will have a camel bone spacer which is shown in the pic. As far as the camel bone goes I'm trying something a little different due to the laws on ivory starting to be a PITA. In the back ground is a piece of elk antler I'm going to use on the clip points, the blue tape is to give a rough idea where to saw. I also get to play with my new iPhone 7 . The camera on this phone takes great pics but please not how poor the quality of the photos are due the poor lighting in my shop. The elk antler in the photo was given to me by a taxidermist has been mounting my fish for me lately, he guides in New Mexico or Arizona for elk in the fall and he said found it scouting in the spring one year, it has very nice texture.

[URL=http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/scotthanson1/media/Fishing/On%20the%20work%20bench/IMG_0074_zpsxxfj7b5k.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/scotthanson1/media/Fishing/On%20the%20work%20bench/IMG_0075_zps5ylia4za.jpg.html][/URL

Sorry Scott, I just dumbed up your thread, but I'm really looking forward to watching this
    Those grinds look great!

Most excellent, Scott!!! . Great finish and with the stag, those are going to be first class!
    Clan of the Cowbell. Go Raptors!!!!

Wow. Those are impressive as they set. Anxiously waiting to see the finished piece!
    Tim

"The devil's name is dullness."
    Robert E. Lee

Tim Knotts Knives

How much time is put into polishing those beauties?
    Excellent work, sir.
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete and DougC. You were the best of us and will not be forgotten.

Clan o' the cowbell

Quote Originally Posted by protourist View Post
    How much time is put into polishing those beauties?
    Excellent work, sir.
    Going from satin scotch bright to mirror on flats and hollow adds a couple hours a little more on the larger blades.

From where I'm sitting, that is time well spent. Beautiful work.
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete and DougC. You were the best of us and will not be forgotten.

Clan o' the cowbell

Mirror finishes are nice but difficult to maintain, any tiny little piece of grit gets into your sheath and you done for. For a working knife satin finish is the way to go in my opinion.

Woke up this morning with a really sore throat and a cough, played on the computer, and had some coffee. Got out this afternoon and got some guards soldered up. will go back out later to night and fit some handles.

[URL=http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/scotthanson1/media/On%20the%20work%20bench/IMG_0182_zps5xutvs8t.jpg.html]

This one reminds me of snow camo kind of.

[/URL[URL=http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/scotthanson1/media/On%20the%20work%20bench/IMG_0176_zps0w1i5ima.jpg.html][/URL

That polish is amazing. Absolutely beautiful work.

Those are the most amazing solder joints I've ever seen. Great pictures and amazing Fit & Finish. Merry Christmas and I hope you get to feeling better.

Fantastic looking knives, please post after you have the handles on!!

Scott, those are absolutely gorgeous please post pics when they are finished.

Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

Got out to my shop and got three handles glued, pinned and rough shaped tonight. This is one of my favorite times in building knives, everything comes together cane they start looking like knives. I also created a new pattern on the clip points shown in the photo using camel bone. I may start using different forms of alternative ivory in the future.

Those are real beauties! I really like the blade shape of the bottom one, but all three are excellent.

Those are gonna be stunning Scott, I love the spacer layout.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch4ging View Post
    Those are real beauties! I really like the blade shape of the bottom one, but all three are excellent.
    The bottom one is an upswept hunter style blade, Scagel made quite a few like that, the blade is 6" long and a bit narrower to aid in field dressing deer. A lot of people when they see a brow tine hunter like that, they think it's going to get in the way, but it doesn't. What it does is give the user a a pistol grip with about 2 extra inches of reach, also a nice feature for field dressing. For field dressing deer and elk that would probably be my first choice now days.

I'll second what Dennis said Scott, all three are beautiful but I really like blade shape and the brow tine handle on the bottom hunter.

Go Raptors ! Clan of the Cowbell!
    Rest in Peace Doug you will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hanson View Post
    The bottom one is an upswept hunter style blade, Scagel made quite a few like that, the blade is 6" long and a bit narrower to aid in field dressing deer. A lot of people when they see a brow tine hunter like that, they think it's going to get in the way, but it doesn't. What it does is give the user a a pistol grip with about 2 extra inches of reach, also a nice feature for field dressing. For field dressing deer and elk that would probably be my first choice now days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopic1 View Post
    I'll second what Dennis said Scott, all three are beautiful but I really like blade shape and the brow tine handle on the bottom hunter.
    It is the one that I'm really enjoying just looking at, and now I do see the Scagel influence. I can't imagine how the glue up of all the handle materials went, just amazing.

Mad skills! Are you going to end-cap or end-plate the two big 'uns?
    Always looking for older Randall Made Knives...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information