Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spydiechef!

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Hi Miso,

Thank you for the welcome. And your thoughts. It does make sense to use the sharpest tool at hand. I guess when my wife was handling most of our cooking, we did a his and hers thing. She had a couple she strongly preferred. And I had my favorites as well. Of course, her santoku was one of the best in the drawer.

Thank you again.

You are welcome.
    One more thing is that I try not going into collecting chef knives! There are so many high-end chef knives in Japan, which are so attractive...... Oh, those hand-forged Gyuto......

Miso

I've got a spare blade. The second one has later lock up around 80% without any lock stick. The fit and finish are very consistent. And the blade grind is very even like the first one. I think the Taichung quality really shines on Spydiechef.

There seemed to be loctite only on the pivot screw. I felt that it was bit stronger than regular blue Loctite but not as strong as red.

It has been about a few weeks since I got the first blade. More I play with it, more I appreciate the design and execution. The handle slabs have a cutout on the presentation site and a concave on the other side to make the spyder hole more accessible. They align very nicely with the hole when the blade is closed.

It is a small detail. But this kind of small details really gives the knife grace.

Miso

I have used it with teflon washers for about a week and do so without oil. I did not really remove oil with alcohol or anything, but just wiped down everything inside.
    Nevertheless, the knife is very smooth without oil. The detent ball makes a little bit of noise, but it doesn't affect the operation.
    I opened it up this morning and found no damage or deformation on the washers.
    I really like it with teflon washers so far.
    Just FYI.

Miso

Some more comparison pics.

Miso

do you feel the lockstick works out or is it ever present?

I have two Spydiechefs. The lock stick was present on one, but none on the other. It subsided with a repetitive application of Sharpie and went away after a couple of weeks.
    It is a bit difficult to apply Sharpie to the blade tang when closed. It can be done at a position where the blade is just about to engage with the lock bar. FYI.

Miso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information