Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Drawing Board

Thumbs up

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Esplained...I like eet!
    Always looking for older Randall Made Knives...

For those of you that haven't met 'O1 John', it's rumored that this is he...

John.jpg

Not sayin' it's true, but, then again...

Hey Now!!

I use Aldo's, or Amtek's Precision ground! Besides, that guy looks a lot nicer than me

Glad you brought that up though, I have kicked around the stainless idea for a while and am going to wait until I have some funds available for quench plates and stainless wrap, etc., we'll have that conversation when it comes time.

In the meantime I am going to order some 52100 in 3/32 (.093). I've been wanting to give that a try for a while. I have a couple of designs that I think that will work well with. <<<that's a lot of w's right there.

Well, were waiting, whining, whistling, wondering when!
    Sorry, it just typed itself.
    Clan of the Cowbell. Go Raptors!!!!

Aldo will welcome, then whine, wince, weigh, wiggle, weep, and wheeze before sending the steel westward - but you'll be happy with the delivered product, so, there is that...

I met Aldo at the Bark River Grind-In back in 2011, a nice guy indeed. That ugly knife I sent you from said grind-in was made from Aldo's Chromoly Sandvik steel...

I've always had good dealings there. I called once because the website was giving me fits and they were nice and helpful. The shipping kills me, wish he was the MTsteelbaron

Thought I'd respond to these over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by protourist View Post
    I was beginning to wonder if anyone was home.
    That grain is insane.
    no hurry. Do I have your paypal info?
    Oh don't worry, the wheels they are a turnin. I'll get that address to you, no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupestris View Post
    Same here.

John. Get out in the shop and grind, monkey. Grind!

This monkey just got a delivery of 52100 in a couple of thicknesses and the .156" is begging to travel time. The .093" at 8"x48" is begging to be slicey. Looking forward to testing this stuff out and getting things rolling, consistently rolling.

Got a thermocouple meter and verified my oven temps, lookin good. Rigged up a new blade stand and double-checked everything, was very pleased with the results. Gonna do some test runs within the week.

Quote Originally Posted by lessismore View Post
    Thought I'd respond to these over here.

Oh don't worry, the wheels they are a turnin. I'll get that address to you, no hurry.

This monkey just got a delivery of 52100 in a couple of thicknesses and the .156" is begging to travel time. The .093" at 8"x48" is begging to be slicey. Looking forward to testing this stuff out and getting things rolling, consistently rolling.

Got a thermocouple meter and verified my oven temps, lookin good. Rigged up a new blade stand and double-checked everything, was very pleased with the results. Gonna do some test runs within the week.
    Oh man, 52100! One of my favorite carbon steels!

0.093" thick might could make for a good GREAT filet knife... One of which I've been really wanting!

I'm a Freedom-Loving, Constitution-Supporting, "Deplorable."
    How about you?

Thank you to our Veterans!!!

I've never done a filet knife Jared, we may have to work something up down the road.

I'm in no hurry John. It's just one of those things that's been kickin around in the back of my head for awhile. As much fishing as I do, I don't know why I haven't made it a priority.

I've got a couple in unknown SS that I use, and they get the job done. One is a cheapy Rapala, and the other is a decent one by Outdoor Edge (made for them by Spyderco back in about '93) that I received from David Bloch, owner of Outdoor Edge, for helping him with his demo booth that shared some space with Diawa Reels (for whom I was doing demo work for when I was sponsored by them as a youth amateur fisherman - connections... ) at a large Denver outdoors show in '93 or '94.

Anyway, whenever you feel comfortable, we should talk. Might hang on to a small piece of that 52100 just in case...

How about you?

There's a saying "it's a hard way to go, but a good way to know, the way the old folks did it".
    Hard to beat those old designs, like Scagel, Randall and Marbles, though tools have come a long way to make it easier!
    Those leather disk handles sure are appealing!
    Clan of the Cowbell. Go Raptors!!!!

That sounds good Jared, I'll need advice on that. How about Chief of Filet R&D Dept. when the time comes? The pay sucks but it's a cool title. This might take some time to get to, I've got a head full of things I want to get out this year.

I love that saying Dennis, first time I've heard it. I've been researching a lot of the designs we've talked about and I think good things are coming.

That sounds good Jared, I'll need advice on that. How about Chief of Filet R&D Dept. when the time comes? The pay sucks but it's a cool title. This might take some time to get to, I've got a head full of things I want to get out this year.
    Chief of Fillet R&D Dept. huh? I'm afraid that I may not be too qualified for the position. Like the blind leading the blind...

How about you?

OK, how bout "The Duke of all that is Fishy"?

Do you send his stuff marked C.O.D.?
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete and DougC. You were the best of us and will not be forgotten.

Clan o' the cowbell

I am definitely more qualified for that title...

Quote Originally Posted by protourist View Post
    Do you send his stuff marked C.O.D.?
    That could mean a lot of different things! (And no, he did not. )

How about you?

Hey Now!!

I use Aldo's, or Amtek's Precision ground! Besides, that guy looks a lot nicer than me

Glad you brought that up though, I have kicked around the stainless idea for a while and am going to wait until I have some funds available for quench plates and stainless wrap, etc., we'll have that conversation when it comes time.

In the meantime I am going to order some 52100 in 3/32 (.093). I've been wanting to give that a try for a while. I have a couple of designs that I think that will work well with. <<<that's a lot of w's right there.
    John,
    And everyone else! Happy Thursday!

I became a stainless devotee years ago when I could pretty much watch the 1084 I was grinding for my first few knives, Rust while I worked on it from the salt air & at times, heavy moisture pour down the alley of the Garage/Shop of mine.

If you love Carbon Steels, Try AEB-L And yes, I get it from Aldo! It grinds almost as easy as a Carbon Steel and has very good Corrosion resistance, Gives a fine grain, wicked sharp edge too!
    Last edited by Rhinoknives1; 02-10-2017 at 01:43 AM.
    Laurence

Custom Culinary Knives & Sharpening

www.rhinoknives.com
    www.westsidesharpening.com

Designer and maker of Rhino Finger Skins, Thermal protection for grinding hardened steel.
    www.rhinofingerskins.com

Go Raptors!.

I've never done a filet knife Jared, we may have to work something up down the road.
    Be ware fillet knives are VERY DANGEROUS to make, that's why a lot of makers don't make them.

Duke of all things fishy- take the dots out of C.O.D.

Laurence- I have heard good things about Aeb-l. (sent you a pm)

Scott- Thanks for the advice there, looks like that's a bit of a different ballgame.

I'd like to make a very early nomination for the name of the Duke of all that is fishy's filet knife.

How's the Catalina sound?

And yes, I want one when they happen.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information