Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Another option if you want "SAK with bit more old world style"

Böker Sportmesser

Quote Originally Posted by A.L. View Post
    Another option if you want "SAK with bit more old world style"

Böker Sportmesser
    Doesn't have a scissors.

Neither has your suggestion. What's your point?

The woodsman if you want a saw + mag glass or the explorer plus if the saw isn't a must. I have to say starting a fire with that mag glass would be impressive.

I have burned some rubber with SAK magnifying glass but starting fire is very limited to where you live (in other words, you have to live somewhere where it's really dry and sunny for it to be even marginally effective).

Quote Originally Posted by bt93 View Post
    Doesn't have a scissors.
    We can all find some reason not to like something. The scout knife design is universal and timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieRawwr View Post
    So I've been watching some re-runs of MacGyver on Netflix as its been a while, and he always has his trusty SAK on him. I hate to do this but what would be the best one to get? I had one for a long time and lost it on a camping trip. I'm looking for one small enough for the back pocket as I usually carry a Sebbie or Emerson up front. And one that has the pocket magnifying glass would be awesome for fire starting.
    It is theoretically possible to use a SAK magnifier to start a fire, but I have never succeeded in doing that. Since 1993, when I first got my Swisschamp, I have tried to start a fire with the little glass, but have never succeeded. It has gotten to be a summer ritual. Even giving myself every break; high sun, different kinds of tinder, and never any luck. Best I can get is wisps of smoke and burn holes, but no conflagration. Okay, so it's fun to give unsuspecting friends and brothers a hot spot (followed by a quick getaway), but I can't rely on the dinky little magnifier in a survival situation. I've seen reports it has been done, but I haven't figured it out. Good luck to those who remain committed.

Quote Originally Posted by znapschatz View Post
    It is theoretically possible to use a SAK magnifier to start a fire, but I have never succeeded in doing that. Since 1993, when I first got my Swisschamp, I have tried to start a fire with the little glass, but have never succeeded. It has gotten to be a summer ritual. Even giving myself every break; high sun, different kinds of tinder, and never any luck. Best I can get is wisps of smoke and burn holes, but no conflagration. Okay, so it's fun to give unsuspecting friends and brothers a hot spot (followed by a quick getaway), but I can't rely on the dinky little magnifier in a survival situation. I've seen reports it has been done, but I haven't figured it out. Good luck to those who remain committed.
    I am having a hard time imagining a survival situation, where a fire was needed, and there also was enough sun available to start a fire with the little magnifying glass, if it is possible to do so, (and I'm not convinced that it is). Seems to me if the sun was hot enough to start a fire with that little glass, a fire might be about the last thing needed.

My favorite SAK is the Swiss Champ. At some time or another, over the years I needed, every tool on it at least once. I'm pretty sure the day I put one of my smaller knives in my pocket, will be the day I need one of the tools the smaller knife doesn't have.

O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Biker View Post
    I am having a hard time imagining a survival situation, where a fire was needed, and there also was enough sun available to start a fire with the little magnifying glass, if it is possible to do so, (and I'm not convinced that it is). Seems to me if the sun was hot enough to start a fire with that little glass, a fire might be about the last thing needed.

You can't say it's a general rule. It might be a winter day, -34C with superb sun and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Derzelas View Post
    You can't say it's a general rule. It might be a winter day, -34C with superb sun and ...
    I actually tried this with my explorer plus once in my yard just to see. Temps in the mid teens F, sheltered from any breeze, bright afternoon sunshine, I tried to light a bit of hay that was dead dry. I never got a curl of smoke or even any discoloration. The mid winter sun just didn't have the oomph with such a small lense, at least this far north. Not saying it can't be done, but you probably want to have a bic in your pocket just in case.
    WTB: Western L77

A BiC is always on me, somewhere in the pockets even if I am not even what is called "social smoker".

As others have said, starting a fire with the mag glass on the SAK in theory is doable, but may not be practical or possible given what ever situation you are in. Of course many of us have things for simple novelty or experimentation etc etc. As a means of fire in a survival situation, it may do well in the desert where the days can be hot and powerful sun followed by sharply contrasted cold night temps.

In the news a few years ago, a few guys got lost or stuck in the wilderness, and one of them used the magnifier on his SAK to start a fire. They credited the SAK with helping them survive. I personally have never been able to do more with an SAK magnifier than get some smoke going and burn patterns in dry leaves.

I'm betting that the task would be much easier with a regular-sized magnifying glass, but I haven't tried that. I remember way back when I was about 4 years old, I was with a group of older neighborhood kids who had a magnifying glass and a G.I. Joe doll, and they were attempting to burn or melt the doll. I recall it seemed to take forever, but that eventually something happened that had them all cheering. All I remember is seeing a little smoke and seeing part of the doll's head with a small hole(?) in it. So if the possibility of needing to start a survival fire with a magnifying glass is important, I would probably experiment with a regular-sized magnifier (safely!!!) and carry that.

Jim

In college I was fishing one day and dropped my lighter in the creek. The magnifier on my explorer lit cigarettes for the rest of the day. It's an older model with the glass lens, though. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rdrogers View Post
    In college I was fishing one day and dropped my lighter in the creek. The magnifier on my explorer lit cigarettes for the rest of the day. It's an older model with the glass lens, though. Don't know if that makes a difference.
    Not sure about plastic vs. glass, but I think as a cigarette lighter, it just might make a difference. I don't smoke (gave 'em up years ago), so using it as a lighter never occurred to me. But it seems that the small area of flammables involved might well be ignited. I might suggest that to one of my smoker friends and see if it works.

I was going to say that the older ones can start a fire. I have started many fires in camp with a magnifying glass (the operative word being 'glass').

I think a model Vic that has a firestarter on it would be better. I saw Swiss Bianco had one.

There was the Swissflame which incorporated a (mostly defective) torch lighter in it (jet beam)

I have started fires with my SAK maglens under the sun of the Summer in the Pyrinees, twice, but with a lot of patience and some very dry pine needles, and most other times I wasn't able to

Here in Canada, the Super Tinker costs more than the Fieldmaster does. The Fieldmaster has all the tools of the Super Tinker, plus a saw, but it's one extra layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Biker View Post

My favorite SAK is the Swiss Champ. At some time or another, over the years I needed, every tool on it at least once. I'm pretty sure the day I put one of my smaller knives in my pocket, will be the day I need one of the tools the smaller knife doesn't have.

O.B.
    In the high desert of New Mexico, 5000+ feet of evalvation, it is not unusual for daytime temps near freezing with the sun high and not a cloud in the sky. Plus you may need to cook the jackrabbit you just trapped or boil water to drink.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information