Thread: japanese tamahagane steel for sell

japanese tamahagane steel for sell

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Hello everyone! I hope they are well. I want to make an appointment. Soon I will have the opportunity to travel to Japan and I want to know if in some way you can buy tamahagane steel to do a little experience of forging. Maybe there is some business or address that sells it to the public as does Dictum from Germany with a tamahagane from Hitachi. If anyone has information I will be very grateful, regards peter

I don't think you can buy Tamahagane from Hitachi, unless you are a certified Japanese Sword maker. I also don't believe that Dictum gets it from Hitachi. The pictures they provide show a very small scale operation of Tatara-buki, not the large-scale preparation by Hitachi.

Anyway, there are small shops where they also run Tatara-buki at a small scale, and you can buy theirs. It would be around $100 per Kilo. Alternatively, you may want to participate in public events often taken place at various Japanese swordsmith to make a knife or something with leftover Tamahagane.

Hope this helps.

Miso

Tanks Miso!

You might want to make your own if you have the place, time, and lots of charcoal.

I thought they use some kind of special black sand to make tamahagane. You can really make it at home?

Some Japanese Sword makers do it at their shops in a small scale. Some test iron sand from various different places for R&D.
    There are Youtube videos of backyard Tatara-buki, some of which were done in the US.

Miso

luis mills just collects pellets from foundry shops.

from this forum: Alaskahagane. boy, using 400 pounds of iron sand, 25 pounds of tamahagane steel was recovered (5%)
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...le-show-knives

Thread Information