Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: One Knife Survival Knife

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    The Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    Here is a picture pre heat treat

Weight is just over 9 ounces here.
    Hopefully after tapering the tangs and gluing the scales on they will remain between 10 and 11 oz.
    Very nice

Chris, I took your drawing and modified it to my take on the One Knife. I lengthened the blade from 6 to 7 inches, increased the straight portion of the edge and gave it a little more belly at the tip end. It leans a little more to the chopping and defense capabilities, without adding too much more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by xxwarderxx View Post
    The Enterprise.

I'll second my approval of that name lol
    ~formerly known as tbhride~

David C. Andersen • Nordsmith Knives

Associate Editor • http://thetruthaboutknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    Chris, I took your drawing and modified it to my take on the One Knife. I lengthened the blade from 6 to 7 inches, increased the straight portion of the edge and gave it a little more belly at the tip end. It leans a little more to the chopping and defense capabilities, without adding too much more weight.

I thought earlier today that it would be nice options to offer a 6.5" and 7" version as well.

Really cool modified design, like it. Enterprise gets my vote, you can call it the Big E, like the carrier.

That's a good one.
    Enables you to Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
    #nerd

Alone Knife = AK - Big Chris Alone Knife = BCAK. If you want to get a bit Matrix'y you can go for the the Big Chris Neo Knife (for the One). Just spit-balling a bit.

To me, "Survival" means something that will handle every aspect of survival. Including something no one really likes to talk about.... Having to use your one knife for surviving against an attack from both four-legged, as well as two-legged, predators. Something big enough for that task, is going to handle every single other one.

So, the nod goes to my Becker BK9. But definitely not a stock version. Mine has a custom kydex dangler sheath. Not cheap, and took four months instead of the promised 4-6 weeks. And, although I have a lot of respect for Ethan Becker, no clue why he thinks grivory is such a great option for handle slabs. Talk about slippery. The optional micarta scales from the factory are a much better option.

2nd place goes to my RAT-7 with custom G-10 scales from TKC (not to be confused with the BF member). And custom kydex sheath from TKC, with leather backing that incorporates a firesteel loop. Have a Light My Fire Army 2.0 firesteel on there. With flat shock-cord to make sure it goes no where. Even though the loop is for a 3/8" fire steel and the Army model is a perfect fit. Just have to turn the plastic handle to the side. Also, taped a flat striker from a Coghlan's firesteel onto the back of the leather backing. Put some 550 cord through the two lashing holes in the bottom of the kydex sheath.

Really like how this set-up came out. Also, no free advertising for Light My Fire from me. I'm not a fan of traditional firesteels like the LMF ones. I had the Army model in a storage bin. Not doing anything with it. Much prefer firesteels higher in magnesium content and lower in iron. Or, the newer types of fire steels. I just find them so much better when you really need to make a fire. Plus, you can scrape the newer ones like a magnesium bar to make lighting fires even easier! I've tried that with the traditional ones like the LMF versions. Doesn't work. You get a spark no matter how slowly or gently you go. The Army model on the custom sheath is a last ditch back-up. Usually a back-up to a back-up firesteel.

Honestly though, if Ontario made a RAT-9, I'd be all over it!

David,
    It's like you are reading my mind.
    As I was sanding some handles today I was discussing that exact topic with myself.
    I like a rounded spine because: 1-it gives the knife a finished look, and 2-a sharp spine will destroy the inside of a kydex sheath.
    My idea was to use a 1" diameter small wheel to cut a small scallop in the spine to scrape with.
    I could use a larger wheel if a larger area is needed.
    I prefer a rounded spine, also. But 90% of my customers want a squared spine on the "survival knives," if that's helpful to you.

Sam

This is the one knife you need to survive in the kitchen. LOLz

Have been following this for awhile with interest.

The photo pre-heat-treat looks like a super-versatile combination of blade profile and length, overall length and, from your spec at 3/16” with skeletonized tang, just the right construction to keep weight down while offering dependably high durability. I like a rounded spine, just me.

I once asked Paul Bos what steel he favored for his personal hunting knife. O-1 was his answer. Great minds.

Promising project!

Subscribed.
    SwampRat Brotherhood * S!K #10 * Carothers Performance Knives

One of my favorite BC designs to date! Love the lines and size and the 01!

Another advantage of O1 for a survival knife that hasn't been mentioned yet... it is the "best" steel that I know of that can still make a spark with naturally occurring flint.

I am intrigued by the sparks. Is that due to the carbon content or the low chrome?
    For example, does 10V throw better sparks off flint than S90V?

Quote Originally Posted by Fancier View Post
    I am intrigued by the sparks. Is that due to the carbon content or the low chrome?
    For example, does 10V throw better sparks off flint than S90V?
    From what I understand, neither will strike flint. They are too alloyed.

Remember I'm talking naturally occurring flint, not a modern day firesteel/ferrocerium rod that some call a flint.

With flint, it is actually a piece of steel that is the spark. With a ferro rod, it is the rod itself that is burning. You get a shower of sparks with the rod, but only a tiny bit with the flint.

It is the carbon that does it. 1075 has barely enough to do it. 1084 and 1095 will work, as will O1.

As I understand it, the more complex the alloy, the less likely it will work.

You got me excited. Sounds like you are really making a winner here. Best of luck with this one, I feel its going to be really something. Thank you for sharing your process too, I love reading about this as it progresses.

I will play with finishing the spines differently on these.
    Rounded at the handle for thumb comfort, a couple inches left crisp, and finally a treatment at the tip be it rounding or a swedge.
    I had already tossed the idea of a small swedge at the tip to aid penetration.
    Not really enough to weaken the tip, just enough to make it slightly more acute.
    You smell that? Do you smell that?... grinder dust, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of grinder dust in the morning. ...the smell, you know that dusty smell, the whole shop. Smelled like... victory.

Quote Originally Posted by fogdart View Post
    One of my favorite BC designs to date! Love the lines and size and the 01!
    I have decided to go back into carbon steels a bit. I plan on getting some 52100 and W2 soon as well as continuing with O1.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCAndersen View Post
    Another advantage of O1 for a survival knife that hasn't been mentioned yet... it is the "best" steel that I know of that can still make a spark with naturally occurring flint.
    I was completely unaware of that, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladams19 View Post
    You got me excited. Sounds like you are really making a winner here. Best of luck with this one, I feel its going to be really something. Thank you for sharing your process too, I love reading about this as it progresses.
    I'm glad that you are excited. The first 4 are already spoken for and are not even finished yet.
    There will definitely be more of these coming up soon.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information