Thread: Sword luggage?

Sword luggage?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Greetings!
    I'm about to make a trip and I'm taking a sword and several knives of the larger variety with me. I've done this in the past and some of the items were broken somewhere in transit. My question is do any of you know of luggage that would be sufficient for this? I was thinking of buying a golf bag in hopes that it would be rigid enough to protect the carved wooden bits on handles and such. I appreciate any information or ideas. Thanks!

Back when I flew w/ archery equipment, arrows were easily bent in any standard box and they fit awkwardly in hard side luggage.

I took a length of 4" schedule 40 pvc pipe and glued a cap on one end and a female drain out fitting on the other and then used a male fitting to cap it. Had a chunk of foam at the capped end to protect points.

For a "security" lock, I drilled a 1/2" hole through the pipe and female fitting, screwed in the male fitting, marked where holes the holes would line up and drilled a second set into two sides of the male fitting. I would run a 12" to 16" zip tie through both set of holes. TSA could easily cut the tie for physical inspection, which would also alert me if it was opened. I carried spare zip ties for the return trip.

For a handle, I sewed a piece of nylon strap to 2 medium dog collars with the adjustable plastic buckles. I had the dog collars adjusted to be fairly tight around the pipe. When the pipe came down the luggage carousel, I snapped the dog collars around the pipe (at 2 Sharpie lines on the pipe for a predetermined balance point) and carried it like a little suitcase.

Prior to TSA BS, I would just carry the pipe on as carry-on luggage, with as many as 36 32" arrows w/ points.

Depending on the sword, you might have to go up to 6" pipe depending on the width of any guard/quillons.
    The only time you have too much ammunition is when your house is on fire. - Anonymous
    "A Folding Blade is a Bleeding Finger" - Zzyzzogeton
    Beckerhead #346 KaBar Krew #17

The easiest way is to get a rifle hardcase and use a TSA approved lock to keep the casual ramp rat out of it. And depending on how much you want to spend, a traveling guitar case will work great--if it's good enough for your axe, you can trust it with your sword. In my roadie days, I saw some that would have survived a plane crash well enough to play at the band's funeral.
    Last edited by BitingSarcasm; 12-28-2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: decaf and kids have slowed my brain

Probly fit multiple swords in one of these
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

Just stick it in your carry on they won't mind.

Is shipping it to your location an option?
    A repeat of history would mostly not be a good thing.

Blog Entries
    Pelican bought Hardigg, because they have superior products. The storm case is awesome.

You can buy hardside cases from any supplier of fencing equipment; or, do what many fencers do...buy a golf travel case from some discount house (cheaper option, and essentially the same thing. If you're carrying more than one blade, or will carry items that might knick the edge (or which the edge might damage), I would do as suggested with the Schedule 40 pvc pipe (in addition to the golf case).

I have a hunting rifle hardcase that holds several swords and knives. I wrap all in cloth and pack to give some room between everything. It will go as regular luggage. A TSA lock will help, but people in the back all have the keys. Placing an unloaded cheap pistol in the case and checking it in with TSA as a gun will make sure no one touches it.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Thread Information