Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WE Knives model 617A

WE Knives model 617A

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Just got this in to bring in the New Year tonight, a very sleek looking knife right out of the box, a flipper on bearings that opens very smoothly and locks up well, closes nicely too. Detent probably could be a bit stronger, as you can sort of open the knife if you make a whip motion with your hands, I'd prefer a knife to not be able to do that, just for safety reasons but otherwise not bad.

WE Knives model 617A

Spec's

Padded zippered pouch
    Closed length is 4.78"
    Scales are of contoured black G10, all edges on the scales are nicely rounded/smooth
    Lock is a nested steel liner lock with the lock bar measuring about .06" thick so it's not light duty
    Hardware I am told is Titanium screws with proprietary type hardware which they did provide the tool to adjust.
    Clip is also Ti and nicely formed and retains the knife well in the pocket. It is only right side carry tip up for the clip placement.
    Back spacer has an oval shaped opening for a lanyard, I installed my BobTail fob on this one.

Blade length is just about 3.89" long and is made of D2 steel and has dual finishes, as you can see the wide flat ground side is black coated as is the harpoon type tip. The spine of the blade is also darkened.
    Blade is .161" thick at the pivot area
    Blade is 1.07" at it's widest point
    Thickness at the edge bevel I am measuring about .025"

Handle measures about .59" thick
    from the spine to the inside part of the guard area is about .85"
    The G10 is textured nicely, not too coarse, also it is faceted somewhat as well, which provides a more sure grip than being too rounded.

I have no means of weighing this but from Blade HQ site they say it is just over 5 oz seems I may have taken the last one of this model, see this page for one similar from BladeHQ

I've only cut a little with this so I can not speak to how long the coating will remain unmarred, but not too worried as any abrasives it will just turn into a black stone wash look...I hope...

Cutting wise it works and feels very good in the hand, no hot spots that I can detect. The edge it arrived with was serviceable but will need a G2 tune up down the road...

Here are some images taken tonight.

IMG_6496 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_6497 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_6498 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_6499 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_6500 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_6501 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

The steel used is neatly marked on the tang of the blade, notice that the blade is pretty sterile and relies on the WE marking on the pivot hardware.

IMG_6503 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Nice knife, nice way to bring in the New Year
    G2
    Last edited by Gary W. Graley; 01-02-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
    Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1

Thanks, G2!
    I'm tempted but I'll try a Stedemon first. I think you were a fan of this brand too.
    You do have a good eye.
    Happy New Year!
    rolf

And Happy New Year to you as well!

The Stedemon is also a nice one too, this one I find it a little more refined and the higher price seems well worth it compared to the Stedemon

G2

Psalm 1

Hi Gary, great review and wonderful pictures as usual.Thanks for starting off the New Year by putting temptation in our way.
    How about a picture of the blade from the clip side.
    Do you think, this is more refined than the Stedemon.
    Have a wonderful and blessed New Year.

Thanks RJ, the clip side view of the blade is identical/mirror image of this side, very nicely done.

As to being more refined than the Stedemon, the model that I am comparing it to is the Stedemon ZKC D-01 and yes I do feel that this one is a bit more refined overall, but then the D-01 is going for about $68 vs $118 so you would expect to be something a bit more. I only brought it up in response to Rolf's thoughts on getting a Stedemon instead, otherwise I do not like to compare to other knives unless it helps to show a size comparison or something along those lines

G2
    Last edited by Gary W. Graley; 01-01-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Psalm 1

Nice review G2, been looking forward to getting this one. Thanks for sharing the pics!
    Happy New Year

You're welcome and a very Happy New Year to you as well
    G2

Psalm 1

Hi Gary,
    Nice review and pretty much in line with my findings! However, the detent of my speciman is perfect, no way I can shake that blade out! It was also one from the sharpest blades I ever got from a factory!

Thanks, and quickly shaking it on mine won't open either, if I strongly snap my wrist I can make it come open, so it is not free falling open, it does take intent otherwise, it's pretty sweet, folks at work marveled over the look and finish of it.

G2

Psalm 1

Then you have a weaker detent then I have.

Hard to quantify but it's still a good detent

Tonight I sharpened her up and attained a very nice edge
    G2

Psalm 1

Thanks Gary. I personally have been impressed by WE Knife's offerings lately.
    In-depth knife reviews without the bulls**t

WE Knives model 617A

Man Gary this is the second time I've seen you post about this amazing knife. I went straight to bhq after you pointed me there and indeed they are all gone. I guess I will live vicariously through your ownership of it for the time being. Love everything about that knife. Keep the pics coming. Thank you.

I tend to be an enabler of sorts hope Blade HQ sells out, it'll give them room to get more things in there!

The WE knives just seem to have a lot of care about all the details, pretty nice knives,
    G2

Psalm 1

Nice review Gary...enjoyed it very much...nice pics also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. Graley View Post

Tonight I sharpened her up and attained a very nice edge
    G2
    Nice review, Gary. Pics are great. I enjoy sharpening also, but my newest Bradford knife will push-cut Yellow Pages...the extra care by the maker is really appreciated. Happy N.Y. to you also.

You are right on the money with the detent Gary! I received my WE617F from the groupsbuy today. When I hold it with the back to the front (so the point pointing to me) and I give a VERY hard swing out of my wrist, the knife flicks open.
    But no way this blade will come out in your pocket. So the detent might be a fraction stronger indeed!

Thanks and I agree, I don't think it would come open in the pocket either.
    G2

Psalm 1

Nice review. What is the purpose of the hump on the blade behind the point? keepem sharp and thanks

Not sure of an actual purpose for that harpoon shape, it does add some esthetics to the blade shape, and somewhat strengthens the tip, it is ground thinner than the spine so it is reduced in thickness, I could see it being ground out and still look nice but you get something different and that helps to sell a new knife sometimes.

Possibly the area behind the harpoon tip allows ventilation if you puncture into flesh and try to pull the knife back out, lessening the suction around the blade, but, I find that I am puncturing less lately so for me that is a moot point

I remember after taking some of those photos I thought there was a hair on the blade, but it was the way the light from above lit up the harpoon tip and made it appear as a hair stuck to the blade,
    G2

Psalm 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information