Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misconceptions

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I'm 6'5" as well. I've carried it in both my front and back pockets. Carries well in both jeans and duck pants, ok in everything else. The wider clip keeps it from pulling lighter fabric too much. It's a solid 10 ounces, so for guys like me and you, it is comparable to an average sized guy carrying an 4 ounce knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate this thread. Another misconception that I've encountered concerns handle ergonomics. I've seen quite a few comments where someone writes, "Cold Steel folders have ridiculous ergonomics that will cause hot spots during actual use, but people who own Cold Steel folders don't realize it, because they don't actually use them."

I couldn't disagree more. I've used my AK-47, Recon 1 and Voyager XL to do a lot of cutting. I give each of them very high marks for ergonomics and have never had an issue with hot spots. Besides, if I have some really heavy cutting to do, I'll put a glove on anyway, regardless of the knife.

I believe the people who hold this misconception have never bothered to use a Cold Steel folder. Their loss.
    "Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty."
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Kels73 View Post
    I appreciate this thread. Another misconception that I've encountered concerns handle ergonomics. I've seen quite a few comments where someone writes, "Cold Steel folders have ridiculous ergonomics that will cause hot spots during actual use, but people who own Cold Steel folders don't realize it, because they don't actually use them."

I couldn't disagree more. I've used my AK-47, Recon 1 and Voyager XL to do a lot of cutting. I give each of them very high marks for ergonomics and have never had an issue with hot spots. Besides, if I have some really heavy cutting to do, I'll put a glove on anyway, regardless of the knife.

I believe the people who hold this misconception have never bothered to use a Cold Steel folder. Their loss.
    Andrew Demko is one of the very best folding knife designers on the planet. Not just because the three locks he invented, as well as his redesign of the walker liner lock on the Ti-Lite, but also the fact that he nails ethos and blade geometries out of the park, time after time, after time.

Quote Originally Posted by ursamajor View Post
    Andrew Demko is one of the very best folding knife designers on the planet. Not just because the three locks he invented, as well as his redesign of the walker liner lock on the Ti-Lite, but also the fact that he nails ethos and blade geometries out of the park, time after time, after time.

Any page showing all of Demko's lock inventions/redesigns? I did not know about the Ti-Lite, which I own, and could not find any info on the redesigned Walker liner lock.
    Spyder Nation #1776

Love/Hate Cold Steel

Quote Originally Posted by JPD1998 View Post
    I've bought quite a few Cold Steel knives over the years and have been happy with all of them.

The Kudu is one of my favorites.
    Ditto! I use my Kudu and Pocket Bushman daily.

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.F. View Post
    Ditto! I use my Kudu and Pocket Bushman daily.
    So friggin' inexpensive, so friggin' lightweight and such cutting performance. Love it!

[QUOTE=Screwdriver;1679.

Anyhow....fast forward to the American Lawman I bought with the XHP steel and DLC coating. IMHO, it is hands down the best folder CS has ever made. If you take the made in Taiwan out, it equals or beats any knife from Benchmade, Spyderco...or any +/- $100 dollar folder made. I also feel it is as good or better than a PM2.

.[/QUOTE]

Interesting comment about the American Lawman. As a Spyderco admirer and a carrier of the PM2, which I think might be the best edc knife on the market, I also think the Am Lawman is comparable in quality. If it was offered without the dlc blade coating, it would compete with the PM2 as one of the very best edc blades available, if marketed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by whp View Post
    Interesting comment about the American Lawman. As a Spyderco admirer and a carrier of the PM2, which I think might be the best edc knife on the market, I also think the Am Lawman is comparable in quality. If it was offered without the dlc blade coating, it would compete with the PM2 as one of the very best edc blades available, if marketed properly.
    The DLC coating is what stops me from buying the Am Lawman, I love the look of the knife, I just hate coatings. If it came in satin or stonewashed , I'd own one.

Quote Originally Posted by whp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD1998 View Post
    The DLC coating is what stops me from buying the Am Lawman, I love the look of the knife, I just hate coatings. If it came in satin or stonewashed , I'd own one.
    I would perfer it without the DLC....but I will say the DLC is done perfectly and virtually indistructable unlike the black crayon coating on the previous versions.
    Spyder Nation #1776

Love/Hate Cold Steel

Quote Originally Posted by ThePeacent View Post
    So friggin' inexpensive, so friggin' lightweight and such cutting performance. Love it!

Great shot! And food prep is one of the things that the Kudu does best.

But the one thing that gets my goat, is that my $8 Kudu knives are perfectly centered, yet around 1/3 of my two dozen Spyderco knives are off center!

This year I am going to 'thin the herd' of my other brands and concentrate on CS, which IMO are the best value for the dollar out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information