Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: nyc locking blades

  1. #1

    nyc locking blades


    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I tried to buy a leatherman rebar for a friend as a gift and a very popular knife site wrote me back and informed me they can't send knives with locking blades to NYC (5 boroughs). Never before have I come across this. I thought it was crazy, it's a tool. I gotta get out of here.


    PS ironically I was able to buy it in a store later that same day. Weird right?
    Last edited by sticknstring73; 01-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    8,006
    Quote Originally Posted by sticknstring73 View Post
    I tried to buy a leatherman rebar for a friend as a gift and a very popular knife site wrote me back and informed me they can't send knives with locking blades to NYC (5 boroughs). Never before have I come across this. I thought it was crazy, it's a tool. I gotta get out of here.


    PS ironically I was able to buy it in a store later that same day. Weird right?
    It's a law that seems to be applied selectively, but very strictly (never heard of them hassling retailers, but super aggressive to working people). I honestly wouldn't even carry a multi-tool with a blade accessible from the outside there. Maybe that's paranoid, but they're (as I'm sure you know) not messing around.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    134
    Order on Amazon...preferably Prime.
    my chef friends have ordered on amazon and had no issues...chefs knife, pairing knife, benchmade pocket knife and even kershaw knives.

  4. #4
    Had the same problem when I was in NYC in September - I could not get any of the large knife shops to ship there. What's interesting is that you can go to Paragon Sports and buy yourself a big ass custom fixed blade. However, I did not want to take the risk with any kind of knife, especially since I was taking a flight out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by sticknstring73 View Post
    I tried to buy a leatherman rebar for a friend as a gift and a very popular knife site wrote me back and informed me they can't send knives with locking blades to NYC (5 boroughs). Never before have I come across this. I thought it was crazy, it's a tool. I gotta get out of here.


    PS ironically I was able to buy it in a store later that same day. Weird right?
    This is a merchant misinterpreting the law and should in no way be taken as accurate legal information.

    The law only affects carry and it's debatable if the law even applies to a Rebar, because the statute requires both locking and "flickability" with one hand. A Rebar's blade cannot be flicked because it's completely enclosed until you open the pliers and pull it out with the nail nick. They were going to change this law but Cuomo vetoed it. In a just world, that headline would have followed by "NY Governor arrested by federal authorities; charge with violation of 18 U.S.C. § 242."

  6. #6
    Hopefully the law he vetoed will be voted on soon and his veto over turned......

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Base of the San Gabriel Mountains, California
    Posts
    1,858
    That State is similar to California in that these stupid restrictions do absolutely nothing but punish good law abiding people.
    Repeal California's ban on autos > 2"
    Takes a few minutes to sign it!

    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/491/0...and-balisongs/

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by glistam View Post
    This is a merchant misinterpreting the law and should in no way be taken as accurate legal information.

    The law only affects carry and it's debatable if the law even applies to a Rebar, because the statute requires both locking and "flickability" with one hand. A Rebar's blade cannot be flicked because it's completely enclosed until you open the pliers and pull it out with the nail nick. They were going to change this law but Cuomo vetoed it. In a just world, that headline would have followed by "NY Governor arrested by federal authorities; charge with violation of 18 U.S.C. § 242."
    The knife laws here, I believe, are intentionally vague to give the discretion to the arresting parties. Also what Insipid Moniker said is true about working people. There is a high incidence of guys getting picked up over folding box knives. Normally because they have clips and can be seen sticking out of the pocket. Never less it just seems to have gone too far. I would love to know how many people by their estimates they've saved with this stuff, given the fact that they can and do play with the numbers.

  9. #9
    The real reason for all the knife arrests is simple. There are over 30,000 NYPD officers. They are judged by performance which includes issuing tickets and making arrests. Weapons arrest are considered good ones....Connect the dots...Exposed pocket clips can in itself be a violation of the NYC Admin Code that does not allow for exposed carry of a knife unless certain conditions apply. While determining if the knife owner meets those conditions for exposed carry, the officer now determines if the knife is legal to possess or not. No illegal search since the clip was exposed and the officer was checking for the violation of the city law at first. This is why the change of the law is needed so much. The violation of the state law is a higher offense and if the person who owns it is a criminal already then it is a felony. That is a good arrest for the officer....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by glistam View Post
    This is a merchant misinterpreting the law and should in no way be taken as accurate legal information.

    The law only affects carry and it's debatable if the law even applies to a Rebar, because the statute requires both locking and "flickability" with one hand. A Rebar's blade cannot be flicked because it's completely enclosed until you open the pliers and pull it out with the nail nick. They were going to change this law but Cuomo vetoed it. In a just world, that headline would have followed by "NY Governor arrested by federal authorities; charge with violation of 18 U.S.C. § 242."
    Many people in NY are pissed about it ..its the most backward law.

    i think op should be okay with a spring assisted opening knife as it does not open with gravity or flickability of the wrist but with finger and applying lot of pressure to it,

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    153
    NYC has very strict rules, even stricter than the state. I live in NY but 3 hours from the city, yet I have had to have knives shipped to friends in PA and then forwarded to me. 2 different dealers wouldn't even ship into the state because of the liberal bs laws in NYC.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by darthwayne View Post
    Many people in NY are pissed about it ..its the most backward law.

    i think op should be okay with a spring assisted opening knife as it does not open with gravity or flickability of the wrist but with finger and applying lot of pressure to it,
    There is a high chance they would still arrest you for carrying a "switchblade", which is mostly illegal in NY state. Case wouldn't hold up later but you would still get arrested and NYC is not a fun place to get arrested.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Foley, Alabama
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by tom19176 View Post
    The real reason for all the knife arrests is simple. There are over 30,000 NYPD officers. They are judged by performance which includes issuing tickets and making arrests. Weapons arrest are considered good ones....Connect the dots...Exposed pocket clips can in itself be a violation of the NYC Admin Code that does not allow for exposed carry of a knife unless certain conditions apply. While determining if the knife owner meets those conditions for exposed carry, the officer now determines if the knife is legal to possess or not. No illegal search since the clip was exposed and the officer was checking for the violation of the city law at first. This is why the change of the law is needed so much. The violation of the state law is a higher offense and if the person who owns it is a criminal already then it is a felony. That is a good arrest for the officer....
    So...remove the clip and carry the folder pivot-down in your trouser pocket. Out of sight, out of mind right? That is how I have been carrying since I was seventeen. I am fifty six now and have never been stopped or hassled by police for carrying a knife.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0917 View Post
    There is a high chance they would still arrest you for carrying a "switchblade", which is mostly illegal in NY state. Case wouldn't hold up later but you would still get arrested and NYC is not a fun place to get arrested.
    Is there any place that's fun to get arrested?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •