Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching Math: an Evolution

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    We learned to use an abacus before calculators were even available, wrote cursively umpteen hundred times each letter, practiced multiplication, division, addition & subtraction problems in our heads as part of class competition, shot archery on school grounds, I watched the first lunar fly over on a black and white t.v. with the rest of my classmates, and rather than amazon, we sent self-addressed, stamped envelopes for mail order goods.

I feel old- -er.
    Beckerhead #395
    "Surely there are mines for silver, and places where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the ground, and copper is smelted from ore." Job 28:1,2 ISV

Quote Originally Posted by tanglediver View Post
    We learned to use an abacus before calculators were even available, wrote cursively umpteen hundred times each letter, practiced multiplication, division, addition & subtraction problems in our heads as part of class competition, shot archery on school grounds, I watched the first lunar fly over on a black and white t.v. with the rest of my classmates, and rather than amazon, we sent self-addressed, stamped envelopes for mail order goods.

I feel old- -er.
    I can relate, brother.

Hey you kids! Get off my grass!

Quote Originally Posted by BITEME View Post
    The political forum is somewhere else??
    A bit sensitive, are we?
    “History is a pack of lies about events that never happened written by people who weren't there."

One of the few things that the Communists (I hate the whole ideology with all my heart...or, at least, how it will always applies in real life) got right was education in schools. Filthy propaganda/attempted brainwashing aside, you were either going to learn and excel at it if you wanted to get an Engineering degree, become a teacher or similar, otherwise you were assigned to learn a blue-collar job. Which were all well paid, the only problem being that even with money in your pockets you'd still starve when everything was planned, including the small rations of this and that food you were assigned (was able to buy) per month. Then you had to become very, very inventive. That was not a fun part of my life, but the education I've got pays quite handsome dividends many years later.
    Last edited by Moonw; 01-12-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BITEME View Post
    The political forum is somewhere else??
    Seriously.

Blog Entries
    If you want to discuss politics, please get yourselves paid memberships and post in the Political Arena.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information