Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 183

Thread: Positive firsthand experience with Lynn Thompson

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    18,148

    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    If someone wanted to say "Cold Steel has the best selection of huge folders with strong locks for the price," I'd agree.
    The Large and XL Espada, the XL Voyager, and the Rajah 2 are great offerings in that niche.

    When you step outside of that to encompass folders of small to medium size, there is lots of competition, and the value for your cash argument becomes a...well...an argument.

    I do quite like my Rajah 2 as a hiking knife when I might possibly have use for a large knife, but probably not (like on hikes in certain areas).
    My friend is really liking the Tuff Lite I gave him; uses it at work on a daily basis (except for the weekends, naturally ).

    But opinions are strong about knives round these parts, and there will never be a consensus.
    Bet we cannot even get a consensus that there cannot be a consensus!
    Buy my books! Amazon: Barnes and Noble (Stabman): Barnes and Noble (Brutal Justice):

    I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    18,148
    And my experience of their customer service was that it sucked, but that turned out to be a good thing.
    It led me to do this:

    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...nto-Remastered
    Buy my books! Amazon: Barnes and Noble (Stabman): Barnes and Noble (Brutal Justice):

    I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap_magician View Post
    You're correct, I can't argue with physical evidence, facts, and numbers. Since you have offered none, I see no reason to do so. I do, however, believe the evidence in front of my eyes.

    The last Cold Steel product in front of my eyes was a kukri machete I got on sale for $20. The steel was rough-finished and had a single Scandi-like bevel that looked like it had been sharpened in a garbage disposal. There were literally shreds of metal sticking off of the primary bevel, the surface of which resembled an irregularly surfaced wood file, and the actual edge of which was literally flat in some places. This is unfair to wood files, which have their teeth carefully cut and are meant to be like that. The handles were made of cheap plastic with hundreds of sharp diamond shapes molded into them. I was unable to use the machete because the edge was utterly nonfunctional and could not be reprofiled short of a grinder.

    I know it was only $20, but my Ontario 18" was also only $20 and was made to much higher standards. It was parkerized over a smooth satin blade finish. The edge was not particularly sharp, but sharpened fairly easily. The handles were two pieces of smooth plastic that were ergonomic and did not have any hot spots under use. It's an excellent tool at a low price for chopping light brush and foliage. The Cold Steel kukri, not so much.

    I know Cold Steel does have good knives as well, but this is what happens when you don't make your own knives and keep poor quality control over the companies in China making them for you.
    Seriously mate, i figured it'd be obvious we arent talking about Cold Steels crappy cheapo offerings in machetes and the like, i'm talking about their well known bread and butter folding knives. My points are all relevant in that case. I'll use simple words from now since so many people arent getting it, bang for buck for a hard working knife that will last with good materials (currently) CS are hard to beat.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wiscaahnsin
    Posts
    7,798
    Meh..

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    18,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_1KRR View Post
    bang for buck for a hard working knife that will last with good materials (currently) CS are hard to beat.
    I could agree with this statement.
    It's when people start feeling that a particular brand is hands down the best that discussion becomes almost impossible.
    Cold Steel is a brand with staying power because they offer some solid products that people feel are worth the money, much like Spyderco, KAI and others that have been around a long time.
    Buy my books! Amazon: Barnes and Noble (Stabman): Barnes and Noble (Brutal Justice):

    I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_1KRR View Post
    Seriously mate, i figured it'd be obvious we arent talking about Cold Steels crappy cheapo offerings in machetes and the like, i'm talking about their well known bread and butter folding knives. My points are all relevant in that case. I'll use simple words from now since so many people arent getting it, bang for buck for a hard working knife that will last with good materials (currently) CS are hard to beat.
    I wonder how often you're going to change the details of your original argument to try to win this one. Sounding rather desperate.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomsbz View Post
    I wonder how often you're going to change the details of your original argument to try to win this one. Sounding rather desperate.
    Why's it desperate to have to explain in simpleton words what others can't extract from a detailed sentence.

    Grow up, I wonder when someone like you will ever reply with an argument that has any substance, other than, "you're wrong, there's way better offerings out there for the price" And give zero examples.

    I'm not even trying to have a debate, just trying to point out some things and people get up in arms over it and then it just escalates into this debate, of course i'll keep going with it. Nobody has any issues putting companies down, but try to say good things and people get defensive over their own favorite brand. If i said CS was the best period, then yeah, rip into me, but i'm saying they are the best in certain criteria - bang for buck. You seem to think that's changing my orignal statement cos it's easier for you than saying something actually intelligent or providing any examples.
    Last edited by Mick_1KRR; 01-12-2017 at 01:41 AM.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_1KRR View Post
    Why's it desperate to have to explain in simpleton words what others can't extract from a detailed sentence.

    Grow up, I wonder when someone like you will ever reply with an argument that has any substance, other than, "you're wrong, there's way better offerings out there for the price" And give zero examples.

    I'm not even trying to have a debate, just trying to point out some things and people get up in arms over it and then it just escalates into this debate, of course i'll keep going with it. Nobody has any issues putting companies down, but try to say good things and people get defensive over their own favorite brand. If i said CS was the best period, then yeah, rip into me, but i'm saying they are the best in certain criteria - bang for buck. You seem to think that's changing my orignal statement cos it's easier for you than saying something actually intelligent or providing any examples.
    You are the one changing your original statement, twice already. You have resorted to personal attacks also throughout the thread. I think that defines your argument rather well.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomsbz View Post
    You are the one changing your original statement, twice already. You have resorted to personal attacks also throughout the thread. I think that defines your argument rather well.
    From the very beginning i stated my point about the ratio of price/materials/performance, said it over and over again, then simplified it. Go back and look, it's the very first thing i said and i said it over and over. For the record i own more Spyderco's and Benchmades than i do Cold Steels. You fail to see the word "price" in there, it's all relative to what price these kinds of things are offered to us at. Why is it so hard to just accept truthful statements? Cos you don't like the fat guy who swings swords at stuff on youtube? we all know steel and we all know the prices out there, i havent said anything that isn't obviously there to see for yourself. Literally there in plain text for you. Certain people just chose not to accept anything that isn't what they want to hear, then try to take the high road because they havent got anything constructive to back things up, trying to make me look like i'm attacking people. I can't win, and i'm not in it to win, just having a constructive "debate" but there's no point cos it's easy to make me look like i'm being an a$$hole.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_1KRR View Post
    From the very beginning i stated my point about the ratio of price/materials/performance, said it over and over again, then simplified it. Go back and look, it's the very first thing i said and i said it over and over. For the record i own more Spyderco's and Benchmades than i do Cold Steels. You fail to see the word "price" in there, it's all relative to what price these kinds of things are offered to us at. Why is it so hard to just accept truthful statements? Cos you don't like the fat guy who swings swords at stuff on youtube? we all know steel and we all know the prices out there, i havent said anything that isn't obviously there to see for yourself. Literally there in plain text for you. Certain people just chose not to accept anything that isn't what they want to hear, then try to take the high road because they havent got anything constructive to back things up, trying to make me look like i'm attacking people. I can't win, and i'm not in it to win, just having a constructive "debate" but there's no point cos it's easy to make me look like i'm being an a$$hole.
    This has become amusing.

    Let's start with your first statement.

    they have the best price/performance/materials/quality/strength ratios of any knife brand out there. Fact.
    this then becomes

    the fact a sub $100 CS knife will dominate probably any $1000 + frame lock custom in real world cutting and hard work.
    When even that becomes too general we now have to be even more specific as to the type of knife and perhaps even a single model.

    Seriously, you're going the fixed blade route to state your arguments? You clearly knew i was talking about folders...My main point you're missing is - show me a folding knife that has equal materials, equal strength capabilities and cutting performance for the same price as for instance a Code 4 from CS.
    Then we have to redefine what the argument is, without any concrete way to define arbitrary ratios or definition of what constitutes value.

    No, i'm clearly saying they have probably the best ratio or bang for buck.
    At this point it's getting silly when you have to say the following:

    i'm talking about their well known bread and butter folding knives. My points are all relevant in that case.
    I've not bothered harvesting the personal insults and comments which have peppered the above.

    Your original statement stands for everyone to read. It is obviously nothing but opinion. However you just continue to dig your own grave.
    Last edited by Pomsbz; 01-12-2017 at 05:56 AM.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomsbz View Post
    This has become amusing.

    Let's start with your first statement.



    this then becomes



    When even that becomes too general we now have to be even more specific as to the type of knife and perhaps even a single model.



    Then we have to redefine what the argument is, without any concrete way to define arbitrary ratios or definition of what constitutes value.



    At this point it's getting silly when you have to say the following:



    I've not bothered harvesting the personal insults and comments which have peppered the above.

    Your original statement stands for everyone to read. It is obviously nothing but opinion. However you just continue to dig your own grave.
    Seems to me that Mick HAS been saying that Cold Steels do have one of the best, if not the best, performance/materials/strength to price ratio FOR THE MONEY. And when he said that sub $100 CS folders being able to trump some $1000 knives in real world cutting, that is true.

    A thin hollow or full flat grind from CS can cut better than some of the overly thick "Overbuilt" grinds of example, Medfords, or some of the ,while pretty, compound or "Nightmare" grinds of other $1000+ customs and still have a stronger lock than the titanium framelocks.
    I think Mick has been saying some relevant stuff.

    Sent from the BatComputer

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    510
    There is this Russian guy who "tests" (aka tortures) knives. I don't think these tests in the videos are necessary, however his testing is insanely hard on knives which seems up the ally of the CS videos and CS fans. Many knives did better the CS Recon 1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...LlU/edit#gid=0

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideons View Post
    There is this Russian guy who "tests" (aka tortures) knives. I don't think these tests in the videos are necessary, however his testing is insanely hard on knives which seems up the ally of the CS videos and CS fans. Many knives did better the CS Recon 1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...LlU/edit#gid=0
    The recon 1 only did badly on the woodpicking stage, which broke it's tip. The lock and other components held up no problem, and the spinewhacks battoning etc was child's play for the triad lock. However it was an older aus8a version, and i believe the newer ctsxhp steel should hold up much better.

    Sent from the BatComputer

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap_magician View Post
    I think it comes down to my original point. Cold Steel knives are good or terrible depending on who the manufacturer is. Because it's not Cold Steel. And Cold Steel has switched manufacturers many times and has multiple manufacturers given the complexity and varying price points of their line. Hence the varying quality, apparently unchecked by Cold Steel.
    I agree with this completely. I LOVE my Cold Steel knives that I own. I do. My Ultimate Hunter is my camping folder and when I go camping, all of my high-end folders await my return from the field in my knife chest. They are much nicer knives and I just don't see a need to beat them up. But to say that Cold Steel as a company is somehow totally acing the entire knife market, yeah no, that's an opinion only and not one I agree with.
    Last edited by Quiet; 01-12-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Proud Supporter of Tupper Knife & Tool
    My personal idea of perfection

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_1KRR View Post
    Seriously, you're going the fixed blade route to state your arguments? You clearly knew i was talking about folders, so you're grasping at straws and pull out Busse, who are fantastic and yes their fixed blades are top of the shelf- zero argument. I've owned, used and taken apart for examination every single top dog folding knife from the main top brands we all use. My main point you're missing is - show me a folding knife that has equal materials, equal strength capabilities and cutting performance for the same price as for instance a Code 4 from CS. I seriously await your reply mate, and i hope your fanboy encore you got from the guy below is ready to post another one straight after. Lets just get real and cut through the marketing BS, in REAL use straight up there is not 1 single thing a Sebenza, Strider, Hinderer does that a run of the mil Code 4 doesnt do equally or better, and i'm not bashing CRK, i've had sebenzas and they're great in fit/finish/craftsmanship and in use. Other nicer knives just provide more pride of ownership for some because of personal preferences in design, ease of use or just style. But for every 1 post you can quote about a CS folder issue, i will quote you 5 from "high end" knife makers with titanium frame locks and flashy ball bearing pivots with supersteels. I honestly just get a kick out of bringing people on this forum down to earth, so much hype, so many misconceptions and bruised egos getting in the way of facts. And i never said they are the BEST at one single thing such as quality, i said they are the best in the over-all ratios of price/quality/performance/materials. Bang for buck in simple terms, when looking at longevity and use as a hard working knife.
    Mick, you should stick to lock strength for your argument. There are PLENTY of other knives out there which are great deals in steel and cutting performance, so you aren't going to win there. You're really going into the weeds here. May want to get back to the Cold Steel section where you won't be challenged on your opinion, because here, you're starting to look pretty...well, it's a less polite word for ignorant. Sorry, man.
    Proud Supporter of Tupper Knife & Tool
    My personal idea of perfection

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_1KRR View Post
    No, i'm clearly saying they have probably the best ratio or bang for buck. There is no "best" best is subjective, whats best for me isn't best for you, but nobody can deny factual things. I'm pretty sure when we look at knives we have certain criteria - size/weight/steel/strength/lock/ease of use etc. But i'm trying to stress how underated a company like CS is, aside from all the gimmicky crap they sell, and all the stupid marketing, their staple top seller and bread and butter models are some of the best bang for buck over-all knives money can buy. Everything else is a matter of style and taste.
    Now it's "probably".
    Proud Supporter of Tupper Knife & Tool
    My personal idea of perfection

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn056 View Post
    Seems to me that Mick HAS been saying that Cold Steels do have one of the best, if not the best, performance/materials/strength to price ratio FOR THE MONEY. And when he said that sub $100 CS folders being able to trump some $1000 knives in real world cutting, that is true.

    A thin hollow or full flat grind from CS can cut better than some of the overly thick "Overbuilt" grinds of example, Medfords, or some of the ,while pretty, compound or "Nightmare" grinds of other $1000+ customs and still have a stronger lock than the titanium framelocks.
    I think Mick has been saying some relevant stuff.

    Sent from the BatComputer
    Yeah, and a $12 Opinel can outdo the Cold Steel knife in question, and those knives are so tough that they've been selling 'em for over a hundred years.

    So, see what we mean. Also, let's be candid. "For the money" is an absolutely subjective phrase. That's not anything you can hang the term "fact" on. For the money? For what money? For a hundred dollars? Plenty of awesome knives available in that price range made of good materials, which will cut well. $50? Ditto. $150? Matter of fact, farther up the money scale you go, the worse it gets for Cold Steel. How many knives has Spyderco alone put out in excellent supersteels for their Manix, Military, and PM2 lines? Those knives have great grinds for slicing/cutting and are made of excellent materials. I could go on, but that's my point. This entire argument is subject, but you have a super fanboy waving the Fanbag Flag, so of course, this discussion isn't going to go anywhere except into the personal insult zone, as he's already done.
    Proud Supporter of Tupper Knife & Tool
    My personal idea of perfection

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
    Yeah, and a $12 Opinel can outdo the Cold Steel knife in question, and those knives are so tough that they've been selling 'em for over a hundred years.

    So, see what we mean. Also, let's be candid. "For the money" is an absolutely subjective phrase. That's not anything you can hang the term "fact" on. For the money? For what money? For a hundred dollars? Plenty of awesome knives available in that price range made of good materials, which will cut well. $50? Ditto. $150? Matter of fact, farther up the money scale you go, the worse it gets for Cold Steel. How many knives has Spyderco alone put out in excellent supersteels for their Manix, Military, and PM2 lines? Those knives have great grinds for slicing/cutting and are made of excellent materials. I could go on, but that's my point. This entire argument is subject, but you have a super fanboy waving the Fanbag Flag, so of course, this discussion isn't going to go anywhere except into the personal insult zone, as he's already done.
    You do have some good points sir
    Sent from the BatComputer

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
    Mick, you should stick to lock strength for your argument. There are PLENTY of other knives out there which are great deals in steel and cutting performance, so you aren't going to win there. You're really going into the weeds here. May want to get back to the Cold Steel section where you won't be challenged on your opinion, because here, you're starting to look pretty...well, it's a less polite word for ignorant. Sorry, man.
    You just don't get it, it's easy to cherry pick attributes. Yeah there are plenty of knives that excel at "cutting" look at a cheap opinel or almost any spyderco FFG, but they sacrifice attributes strongly in other areas - lock strength, tip strength, lateral stability in the pivot area and general overall toughness as a whole. I don't need to go to the CS forum cos i'm not a CS fanboy, i'm simply being realistic. For the price, show me a knife that will beat a cheap Code 4 hollow ground spear point in strength, materials and performance, i asked this question ages ago but still got no answer, people just keep saying im wrong. It's easy to excel at one or two things, like cutting ability and steel choice, but as a whole, for a knife that covers all attributes really well without sacrificing much at all in any area, CS offer some serious performance for the price.
    Last edited by Mick_1KRR; 01-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomsbz View Post
    This has become amusing.

    Let's start with your first statement.



    this then becomes



    When even that becomes too general we now have to be even more specific as to the type of knife and perhaps even a single model.



    Then we have to redefine what the argument is, without any concrete way to define arbitrary ratios or definition of what constitutes value.



    At this point it's getting silly when you have to say the following:



    I've not bothered harvesting the personal insults and comments which have peppered the above.

    Your original statement stands for everyone to read. It is obviously nothing but opinion. However you just continue to dig your own grave.
    You are reaching so hard to try and make an argument, what am i supposed to do mate? copy and paste the exact same words the entire thread just to make sure i've kept the identical statement and avoid people like you nit picking at it like someone who trips someone up for bad grammar in an argument? All i've done is try to reiterate what i've said in different words so that ignorant eyes can see my point as well as raise new points. Take it as you will, I've said nothing that is false, pretty sure deep down you know that, but it's just not your flavor, or you just aren't a fan of certain knives.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •