Thread: Everest Katana #2, test and review

Everest Katana #2, test and review

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Nice report RayC on #3 Everest katana!

Well, guys I have done a complete ferric chloride etch and a complete polish. The etch showed me a hamon on this blade, 1/4" from the tip (3" from the tip) and gets thicker at 5/16" almost all the way to the handle. There is a 3.5" section in front of the handle that doesn't have the hamon. One thing that the etch tell me, is that this sword has a good hardened edge. It could be more consistent, but this sword is meant for actual use, and not an art object. I did a complete polish on it and the hamon really stands out. Nice to look at.
    I was able to do some more cuts with the new edge and once again , no rolled edges or nicks. I also did some thrusting with this sword. No problems. So far so good. Some of the targets I used are not usually used in traditional sword testing (tree branches 2"-2.5", plastic garbage cans, rolled up shotgun news, and PVC pipes 1" thick), but I know many people will use what ever they can in their own tests. This sword has withstood some of my tests so far and it is passing with flying colors! No damage or looseness has occured to this Everest Kat #2 so far. Stay tuned for more.

Ray T

Using the old Uncle Bill rating system I judged that katata to be 95% and I think I'm close after reading what you have to say. Many thanks for very good info, Ray.

For anybody who might be interested this sword will be on the market when Ray completes his test work for $175. The handle can be worked down to a more traditional shape with no problem.

------------------
    Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
    Himalayan Imports Website
    Khukuri FAQ

Uncle Bill, The handle feels pretty good as is. If you look at the top of the handle (point going away from you) there are some palm swells. The patterns on the sword handle are also nice to look at.

This sword is sold to Harry. I'll ship as soon as BA finishes up his testing and gets it back to me.

Thanks for continued info, BA. It is very valuable and much appreciated.

------------------
    Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
    Himalayan Imports Website
    Khukuri FAQ

Thread Information