Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ceramic rod size for Spyderco serrations?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by extrastout View Post
    No you didnt. you got but hurt because you thought I posted this thread in General after you answered here. When I actually put this thread in General first. I have no patience for that. You wouldn't let it go and messed the thread up. Get over yourself and your entitlement issue. You are no better than any newbie. Thanks to everyone else for their help.
    OK dude, really? Piss off!!! Entitlement? Me??? Where the heck did you come up with that? LMAO!!!

My reply to you in the General thread was completely justified, because, as I mentioned, it's poor form to post identical threads in multiple sub-forums here, which is exactly why the two threads were merged by the mods. Newb.

You must be one of those entitled millennials. Welcome to my ignore list...
    Last edited by SpyderPhreak; 02-21-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Qfp

I'm a Freedom-Loving, Constitution-Supporting, "Deplorable."
    How about you?

Thank you to our Veterans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPhreak View Post
    OK dude, really? Piss off!!! Entitlement? Me??? Where the heck did you come up with that? LMAO!!!

My reply to you in the General thread was completely justified, because, as I mentioned, it's poor form to post identical threads in multiple sub-forums here, which is exactly why the two threads were merged by the mods. Newb.

You must be one of those entitled millennials. Welcome to my ignore list...
    yes, move along. you finally got it, bye. Thanks to everyone else again for all the help!

701 Profiles: A serrated Edge's Best friend IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesh Bond View Post
    I have a profile set and they come with a large radius and an acute corner radius. Neither match serrations very well for the method you're after. The instructions are the same as the Sharpmaker method, too.

I think you're out of luck unless you settle on some diamonds, bud!

For what it's worth, I've always enjoyed an edge finished with diamonds for aggression. But I'll confess I'm primarily a plain edge guy, so my serration experience is limited.

As for the Goldenstone doing what the Profile set does, I'm wondering how? It only comes in fine, I think. If you get one, can you share your thoughts?
    With all due respect I've never failed to have one of the radii on one of the 701 Profiles fail to sharpen any Spyderco Spyderedge "scallop" I've ever applied it to. Now do they fit perfect down to the last ten-thousandth of an inch or millimeter? No I doubt it but by using the proper angle and consistent, even strokes I've had nothing but great results with them.

Now there are some tricks I've discovered in using them and it did take some practice to really get the hang of using the 701 Profiles rods but with the results I've had from sharpening Spyderedges, plain edged Hawkbills and both edge types of Reverse S blade designs at this time I wouldn't use anything else.

My jury is still out on the GOLDENSTONE because I'm still learning tricks to using them. I do hope at some point that Sal does do the instructional video on the GOLDENSTONE. Also they have an upcoming CBN version of the GOLDENSTONE which I'm looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    With all due respect I've never failed to have one of the radii on one of the 701 Profiles fail to sharpen any Spyderco Spyderedge "scallop" I've ever applied it to. Now do they fit perfect down to the last ten-thousandth of an inch or millimeter? No I doubt it but by using the proper angle and consistent, even strokes I've had nothing but great results with them.

Now there are some tricks I've discovered in using them and it did take some practice to really get the hang of using the 701 Profiles rods but with the results I've had from sharpening Spyderedges, plain edged Hawkbills and both edge types of Reverse S blade designs at this time I wouldn't use anything else.

My jury is still out on the GOLDENSTONE because I'm still learning tricks to using them. I do hope at some point that Sal does do the instructional video on the GOLDENSTONE. Also they have an upcoming CBN version of the GOLDENSTONE which I'm looking forward to.
    I'm referring to filing individual serrations with them, like the OP was asking.

Yes, it can be done that way with the Profile set. But those stones work best using the slicing motion on the acute radii, like the instructions suggest.
    👍

Mr. Stout,

If you have determined that the best way to proceed is to have something that will reach into the "valleys " of the serrations, consider using a leather bootlace with diamond paste or other compound of your choice. Tie of the lace to something stable and heavy, apply compound, and pull the lace taut. Keeping it taut with your non-dominant hand, you can then use it as a small stone that will reach into the serrations. I have touched up my Endura, circa 2000, using this method, followed by the standard Sharpmaker method, and it is screamin' sharp once again.

Best of luck, and have fun playing with sharpening. It is one of the more relaxing yet rewarding aspects of our insanity...errr...hobby that I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by RLDubbya View Post
    Mr. Stout,

If you have determined that the best way to proceed is to have something that will reach into the "valleys " of the serrations, consider using a leather bootlace with diamond paste or other compound of your choice. Tie of the lace to something stable and heavy, apply compound, and pull the lace taut. Keeping it taut with your non-dominant hand, you can then use it as a small stone that will reach into the serrations. I have touched up my Endura, circa 2000, using this method, followed by the standard Sharpmaker method, and it is screamin' sharp once again.

Best of luck, and have fun playing with sharpening. It is one of the more relaxing yet rewarding aspects of our insanity...errr...hobby that I've found.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by RLDubbya View Post
    Mr. Stout,

This is a great idea, very innovative!

VEFF Tool

Not too long ago over that the Maintenance, Tinkering and Embellishment sub-forum here at BF there was a good Brother talking about a VEFF Tool which he declares is the best sharpening tool for serrations that he had ever used up till now.

I've looked at it on a couple of websites and it looks like a well designed tool IMO.

With more and more of your premium, commercial knife manufacturers doing serrated edges it's becoming almost a necessity to have some sharpening tools for serrations on hand. But I do encourage you guys to take a look at the Veff Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    Not too long ago over that the Maintenance, Tinkering and Embellishment sub-forum here at BF there was a good Brother talking about a VEFF Tool which he declares is the best sharpening tool for serrations that he had ever used up till now.

I've looked at it on a couple of websites and it looks like a well designed tool IMO.

With more and more of your premium, commercial knife manufacturers doing serrated edges it's becoming almost a necessity to have some sharpening tools for serrations on hand. But I do encourage you guys to take a look at the Veff Tool.
    its not Ceramic but diamond has more rod options and is less brittle. The knife I am intending to sharpen is the Salt 1 in H1 steel. It seems to be softer so ceramic seems best. The VEFF seems like a good system. Probably not a perfect fit for Spyderco serrations, but with the marker technique you can adjust
    https://youtu.be/5ohLx1U6F3E
    Last edited by extrastout; 02-26-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Thumbs up Spyderco Releasing New Sharpening Tools Soon

Here of late we've received some very good news from Spyderco>> they are going to do a big run of the Spyderco 701 Profiles. To top that off they also announced that they are going to do a CBN version of the 701 Profile. I still say that Spyderco's 701 Profiles are the Spyderedge's best friend. I've also found them to be very nice for doing other serration patterns as well.

I love the 701 Profiles because they are portable and versatile. I'm hoping that they also end up making a base unit for holding them at a perfect angle. They have plans for a base unit for the Spyderco GOLDENSTONE. Also it won't be too much longer Spyderco will be releasing their new GAUNTLET Sharpening system.

This is going to be a great year for new Spyderco sharpening tools. I'll definitely be putting some dollars aside for all of these tools.

I may finally get some 701's. I had missed the news of the reissue plan. Like Surfgringo, the SM does a fine job on my serrated knives. I prefer how they cut AFTER the points have been rounded a bit through use and sharpening.

Hi Bill,

I agree. that's why we invented the Sharpmaker to be able to sharpen teeth. Just my opinion, but we learned that after a few sharpenings, the serrations really began to perform better.

sal

My H1 Dragonfly has been sharpened a good hundred times on the Sharpmaker.....still the box cutting CHAMPION of my entire collection! It just gets sharper and sharper......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information