Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic rod size for Spyderco serrations?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
    If you find a round ceramic rod small enough for the small serrations please let us know!
    Not sure he'll find any, but I'm sure we'll hear about them breaking if he does.

I'm a Freedom-Loving, Constitution-Supporting, "Deplorable."
    How about you?

Thank you to our Veterans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by extrastout View Post
    What size round ceramic rods work for Spyderco serrations, and where can I get them. I will be sharpening the Salt 1 with the proper technique, sharpening one serration at a time. There are large and small serrations on this blade, which means I need 2 different size rods

If you think about it, the proper technique IS the sharpmaker one. Spyderco innovated the serrated edge, so I'd trust them to know how to sharpen it.

I used to do it one at a time too. I used a tapered DMT rod, which allowed me to fit whatever scallop size I was grinding perfectly. This method produces a prettier result, but over time, the humps between the scallops stay thick even though the cutouts between are being ground thinner. You end up with more of a saw-er instead of slicer

Sal's way of grinding everything evenly avoids this problem, even though it looks a bit sloppy. Everything wears down at the same rate, so you keep the relative profile of the edge closer to factory performance.

All that being said, you want to it a specific way, and for that I would go DMT. No guesswork with the diameter because of the taper, and less of the burring annoyances of straight ceramic.

Good luck.

The tapered rods seems to be the way to go as far as what I can see and for the way I want to sharpen. The best technique might be going one serration at a time, then the next time I sharpen use sals way of grinding. Should be a good way of balancing out the cutout and not slowly wearing away the serrations. Thanks for the suggestion Jamesh Bond

I Ruined one of my SE Dflys using the corners of the a Spyderco rod. I really think the OP is beating a dead horse trying to find

something that isn't made. Op if you ever do find the rods you're looking for, I think you may make the points of the serrations shorter and

more dull Like I Did.

Sharpening one serration at a time the rod will eat out the center of the serration. Learn for yourself if you must...

I have sharpened others people's serrated knives and this is what I have done (probably wrong).

Lay knife on the side of a table with blade protruding over... Holding the knife in this orientation I take my diamond rod from my sharp maker and use the corner of it for each individual serration. As a gentlemen above commented if you have too steep an angle it will eat away at the scallops. (I realize you dont want to use sharp maker accessories a tapered rod would work).

I adjust the angle with the stone as the knife is immobile. I have had some turn out good and others that look like a 10 year old on cough syrup has had a go of it.

Good luck however way you go about it

Hi willard,

I sharpen friends serrated kitchen knives and they take very little effort because I can just plane down the non serrated side of the blade on my belt sander and finish with a scotchbrite belt. Like new. Then Finish with the sharpmaker to get it hair whittling. The salt series are hollow ground on both sides so I don't use that method on them obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPhreak View Post
    Spyderco Tri-angle rods will do what you need.
    Yes and they were designed for sharpening the S/E blade as well as P/E.
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Well,, the profile stone will fit the big and small serrations as he wanted & have flats for plain edge sharpening, in other words
    a better all round choice.

Like I said I really like those stones, I have a sharp-maker, and some other Spyderco stones, the profile's see's most use of them.

The Spyderco 701 Profile kit>> The ultimate serration sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
    If you find a round ceramic rod small enough for the small serrations please let us know!
    Spyderco has a discontinued Sharpening tool know as the 701 Profile kit. To me they are the absolute perfect sharpening tool for Spyderco's great serrated edge knives. I really would like to see them bring back the 701 Profile kit with more grit selections. When they discontinued the 701 profile kit I was lucky and found a dealer who sold me 3 extra sets just in case they would no longer be available.

Now Spyderco contends that their GOLDENSTONE will do everything that the Profile kit will do. I have a GOLDENSTONE and it's a really neat sharpening tool but in my humble opinion it's just not as versatile as the 701 Profile kit is.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    Spyderco has a discontinued Sharpening tool know as the 701 Profile kit. To me they are the absolute perfect sharpening tool for Spyderco's great serrated edge knives. I really would like to see them bring back the 701 Profile kit with more grit selections. When they discontinued the 701 profile kit I was lucky and found a dealer who sold me 3 extra sets just in case they would no longer be available.

Now Spyderco contends that their GOLDENSTONE will do everything that the Profile kit will do. I have a GOLDENSTONE and it's a really neat sharpening tool but in my humble opinion it's just not as versatile as the 701 Profile kit is.
    I heard of the profile kit that's discontinued. This is pretty much what I want. I will look into the Goldstone. Thanks

The tapered rods seems to be the way to go as far as what I can see and for the way I want to sharpen. The best technique might be going one serration at a time, then the next time I sharpen use sals way of grinding. Should be a good way of balancing out the cutout and not slowly wearing away the serrations. Thanks for the suggestion Jamesh Bond
    I've got a Pacific Salt that I have sharpened multiple HUNDREDS of times on the fine sharpmaker rods and the serrations are not remotely "worn away". It sounds like you already have your mind made up, just letting you know.
    Powernoodle (on safe queens):Do you want your wife to give to her new husband a pristine, NIB collection of sprint runs and limited editions, or a tool box full of knives covered in drywall dust, squirrel blood and biscuit gravy?

Knife and fishing pics at http://instagram.com/crkayakfishing

Oh there is a cheap Lansky spyder edge ceramic thinghy too,, I have one, and it's designed for spyder serrations,
    but it's on the small side, I took off the plastic ends to get more surface, that one would fit the bill too.

The grit is like a medium Spyderco ceramic.

I heard of the profile kit that's discontinued. This is pretty much what I want. I will look into the Goldstone. Thanks
    I have a profile set and they come with a large radius and an acute corner radius. Neither match serrations very well for the method you're after. The instructions are the same as the Sharpmaker method, too.

I think you're out of luck unless you settle on some diamonds, bud!

For what it's worth, I've always enjoyed an edge finished with diamonds for aggression. But I'll confess I'm primarily a plain edge guy, so my serration experience is limited.

As for the Goldenstone doing what the Profile set does, I'm wondering how? It only comes in fine, I think. If you get one, can you share your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    I've got a Pacific Salt that I have sharpened multiple HUNDREDS of times on the fine sharpmaker rods and the serrations are not remotely "worn away". It sounds like you already have your mind made up, just letting you know.
    I agree with this. I sharpen my SE blades on the sharpmaker and they get sticky sharp every time. Surfingringo has his own method of doing this and it's the one I use. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ngo+serrations
    It's in that thread and works great.

Thank you for the link Pokerchip

You're welcome

The geometry of a serrated edge means the tips do the cutting more than the valleys. That's why the Sharpmaker works so well and the round or tapered sharpeners miss the boat. That's pretty much a fact that more firms than Spyderco agree with. I first found Spyderco through the Cold Steel catalog that recommended the Sharpmaker.

If your serrated kitchen knife gets abused in the kitchen by uncaring family, you may need to use the coarser stone or diamonds. It will wear the serrations a little, but performance (e.g. tomatoes) won't be harmed.

Ready yet to concede that my advice was sound? I did start out here with good intentions to help you out. Now that many others have chimed in, basically agreeing, I hope do you realize that.

I'm a Freedom-Loving, Constitution-Supporting, "Deplorable."
    How about you?

Thank you to our Veterans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPhreak View Post
    Ready yet to concede that my advice was sound? I did start out here with good intentions to help you out. Now that many others have chimed in, basically agreeing, I hope do you realize that.
    No you didnt. you got but hurt because you thought I posted this thread in General after you answered here. When I actually put this thread in General first. I have no patience for that. You wouldn't let it go and messed the thread up. Get over yourself and your entitlement issue. You are no better than any newbie. Thanks to everyone else for their help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information