Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Northwoods

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    but what's to say that derrick & co. don't have their own vision of what they want northwoods to become?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointshoot777 View Post
    Can't say that I'm a fan of the knives branded as 'Northwoods' by KSF and made by GEC. Dave Shirley had a vision for these knives. He wanted them to be a tribute to blademaster William Scagel. The recently branded knives are just GECs with slightly different scales and an arrowhead.

I treasure the two Dave Shirley era Northwoods folders I own. I kick myself for not buying a couple of the fix blades back then, after Dave passed away.
    I understand your position on this. I really do. I have a great deal of respect for Dave Shirley as I'm sure many knife enthusiasts do.

I feel compelled to comment that although the new Northwoods knives may not carry on Dave's vision, I know that Derrick and the folks at KSF also have a great deal of respect for Dave. When I bought a Fremont Jack from the latest run last year I got an email a week or so later from KSF asking me to keep Dave Shirley in my thoughts when I used the knife. I really appreciated that email reminder. Not only did it remind me of who started it all (not that I had forgotten) but I thought it was a very nice gesture from KSF.

Just wanted to toss that out there.
    Rick T.

WA state, USA - Mostly in the rural east, as little time in the big city west side as possible now
    Quote Originally Posted by videorecipes View Post
    but what's to say that derrick & co. don't have their own vision of what they want northwoods to become?
    IMO it's apparent that they do - - a GEC with an arrowhead on it

This is my only current Northwoods, a Michigan Jack in smooth oiled bone. A wonderful knife in hand. The chunky blade has grown on me.
    God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear,
    though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea.
    Psalm 46:1-2

WA state, USA - Mostly in the rural east, as little time in the big city west side as possible now
    @Railsplitter - I have absolutely no beef with KSF. Ive bought knives from them and IMO they're good folks. I also have no beef with GEC, they are my favorite maker of production traditional knives and I own quite a few of them.

All I'm talkin' about is Northwoods Knives. Unfortunately, a man who was passionate about Scagels and wanted to honor that man & his designs passed away. His particular vision was lost. This is not the first time this has happened (not just with knives) and its sure not the last time it will happen. Putting the brand on it doesnt change that these knives are essentially GECs.

That's just this one man's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbert View Post

This is my only current Northwoods, a Michigan Jack in smooth oiled bone. A wonderful knife in hand. The chunky blade has grown on me.
    Wow! That is my dream slipjoint!

Pointshoot777, I apologize for reading something into your post that isn't there. And I do agree that the turn of events is unfortunate.
    Rick T.

Let's talk Northwoods

Quote Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
    Pointshoot777, I apologize for reading something into your post that isn't there. And I do agree that the turn of events is unfortunate.
    No reason to apologize, my friend. I found your comment interesting. Just a bunch of guys sitting around talking knives. Like sitting around talking about our favorite sport teams.

Life goes on and things change. Just thought I'd add my thoughts to the discussion. Regards -

P.S. - one thing after reading your comments became clear to me. Dave Shirley wanted to make a tribute to William Scagel and his knife designs. KSF wanted to make a tribute to Dave Shirley.

And there's nothing wrong with either of these desires, though quite different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Pointshoot777; 02-20-2017 at 09:24 PM.

For those that have multiple Northwoods knives and coinciding parent company pattern:
    Is there a particular pattern that Northwoods did that you like better than other offerings?

Hawthorne vs GEC 48 for example.

I know the difference comes down to grind, but sometimes that can make All the difference.
    -----
    After scrolling back up, I can't tell if my comment could be taken as ironic, flippant, or otherwise.
    For clarification, I hadn't read the pages comments prior to posting and it was made out of sheer curiosity.
    Last edited by NJBillK; 02-20-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    Proud Supporter: JK Knives #710 & BECKERHEAD #362
    WTB Maxamet Mule/Manix
    !!LOOK!!JK Knives, Customized Goodness

Here are my Northwoods to date. Great knives!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looking to buy a Sebenza Apr 3rd or 4th
    3.5 XM Wharnie
    Bronze Frag Ti Scale

I think I am happy and sad to see this thread...

I very much appreciate the following we have. I do not try to just "do a GEC with an arrowhead" but I can see where people might think that. We work hard to supply higher end scales and work to build different takes on patterns. You will see much more of that in the future.

In any event--to answer the questions I saw.

The folder made by Bark River is a little ways out.
    The Hawthorne coming up will be in both clip and wharncliffe varieties.

We have cool stuff coming down the pike. Stay tuned.

Derick, has there been a renewed interest in putting out any multi blade patterns in the future?
    The last time I spoke with y'all on the subject was probably about a year ago.

Another Norfolk would be pretty sweet!
    -Erik

Quote Originally Posted by okbohn View Post

I very much appreciate the following we have. I do not try to just "do a GEC with an arrowhead" but I can see where people might think that. We work hard to supply higher end scales and work to build different takes on patterns. You will see much more of that in the future.

Hawthorne with a clip blade? Ok I'm officially excited

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looking to buy a Sebenza Apr 3rd or 4th
    3.5 XM Wharnie
    Bronze Frag Ti Scale

14. Quote Originally Posted by okbohn View Post

Derrick, I think Dave would appreciate that the brand is still used on high quality knives that are made in the USA. It would have been unfortunate if the brand got scooped up by that place in the mountains or Taylor brands. Have you used the Scagel mark? Do you have that stamp? That might be something neat to use on a fitting pattern in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by okbohn View Post
    You keep us customers tuned in every week with your emails. Have to admit that I read every one of them and that is saying something considering the volume of advertising emails I receive.

Looking forward to what you come up with in the Northwoods line. May just have to bite a bit quicker than I normally do on knives if I like something.

Quote Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
    You keep us customers tuned in every week with your emails. Have to admit that I read every one of them and that is saying something considering the volume of advertising emails I receive.

Looking forward to what you come up with in the Northwoods line. May just have to bite a bit quicker than I normally do on knives if I like something.
    Right there with you.
    Proud Supporter: JK Knives #710 & BECKERHEAD #362
    WTB Maxamet Mule/Manix
    !!LOOK!!JK Knives, Customized Goodness

Let's talk Northwoods

One suggestion- how about a Scagel style cut out oval nail nick on a Northwoods folder ? If GEC can tool up for that. (Some of the Dave Shirley era Northwoods had that, as do some small custom makers now ) - - Also Scagels are quite rustic looking. The stag versions of the GECs do capture that quality.

Last edited by Pointshoot777; 02-20-2017 at 10:31 PM.

While we're talking Scagel, how about a stag shadow pattern?
    I don't know how willing GEC would be to taking on that task, but I really love the looks of those bolster less stag folders.
    -Erik

19. Pointshoot777, Have you seen this interview? I think it gives some nice perspective. https://www.knivesshipfree.com/blog/...-dave-shirley/

Quote Originally Posted by SadSappySucker View Post
    While we're talking Scagel, how about a stag shadow pattern?
    I don't know how willing GEC would be to taking on that task, but I really love the looks of those bolster less stag folders.
    Yeah - now we're talking !

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information