Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: Mud Turtle Passaround

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Vidalia, LA
    Posts
    1,609

    Mud Turtle Passaround


    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Hey guys. In Lieu of the recent giveaway by Daniel here on the JK forum i would like to do a Passaround with my Mud Turtle.
    Since i won the Giveaway knife i thought it only right to do something in return for Daniel's generosity.

    Lets get this thing started.

    The rules are simple and just like any other passaround done here. The recipient can keep the knife for up to two weeks. In that time the recipient must use the knife however they see fit, dont be afraid to put it to work! Pictures must be posted of the knife in action and a review of User Experience must be posted. The knife must be shipped insured to the next person in line. The line up will start with whoever signs up first and end with whoever sings up last. Ill let the sign up period last a week to give folks enough time to see it here.

    Thanks for the great community guys! Its always a pleasure to be here!



    Sign Up List

    1- TPVT
    2- YoungCurmudgeon
    3- mqqn
    4- kysteve
    5- arskrg
    6- 3fifty7

    Sign Up Closed







    Last edited by heefageLA; 03-20-2017 at 08:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4,735
    I'm in (if you'll have me)! i've eyed the mud turtle a time or two. would love to be able to take a closer look. thanks Heath!
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    ** Always looking for a GEC 99 Farm&Field. if you have one available, please hit me up. thanks. **

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    748
    I'm in. It's always cool to try out a new JK.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Vidalia, LA
    Posts
    1,609
    Awesome! Im gonna ship it out next Monday.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mapleton Illinois
    Posts
    11,004
    Blog Entries
    3
    I would be honored to be allowed to participate!

    best

    mqqn

    Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    "Building Knives Meant To Be Used, One At A Time" John Kiedaisch
    Forum FAQS - Forum Rules

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Vidalia, LA
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post
    I would be honored to be allowed to participate!

    best

    mqqn

    You got it!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Mokena, Illinois
    Posts
    21,750

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by JK Knives View Post
    You got a good group going, maybe this will convince YC to finally put handles on his!
    Using this opportunity to "play with" a Mud Turtle as self-motivation to finish my own MT was 2nd in my mind of reasons to participate. First, obviously, was to get my hands (if only temporarily) on another JK.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by JK Knives View Post
    You got a good group going, maybe this will convince YC to finally put handles on his!
    Ha! called out!

    and YC, i'm laughing with ya buddy, not at ya. i've had John's camp knife for (what?) a year? at least, i'd say, and it still sits handleless.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    ** Always looking for a GEC 99 Farm&Field. if you have one available, please hit me up. thanks. **

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    748
    I wouldn't take offense if you were laughing at me. I deserve it (for this and probably a lot of other things).
    Beyond laziness (which I'll cop to), my biggest excuse is indecision on handle material.
    I prefer natural materials (I've got a nice hunk of elk stag to use on the Hiker III I haven't worked on (I'll blame fear of ruining the stag for hesitancy on that one)).
    But micarta or G10 would make a ton of sense on the Mud Turtle XL blank.

    OR wouldn't that big knife look really nice with ebony scales, or Zircote, or...
    Last edited by YoungCurmudgeon; 02-22-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I don't spell good

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Vidalia, LA
    Posts
    1,609
    I will say that the Micarta scales on this one are perfect for my use. Im not afraid to throw it down in the dirt or gravel. I never have to worry about it shrinking or cracking. And there is no upkeep on keeping the handles in good working condition, such as oiling like you have to do on wood handles.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungCurmudgeon View Post
    I wouldn't take offense if you were laughing at me. I deserve it (for this and probably a lot of other things).
    Beyond laziness (which I'll cop to), my biggest excuse is indecision on handle material.
    I prefer natural materials (I've got a nice hunk of elk stag to use on the Hiker III I haven't worked on (I'll blame fear of ruining the stag for hesitancy on that one)).
    But micarta or G10 would make a ton of sense on the Mud Turtle XL blank.

    OR wouldn't that big knife look really nice with ebony scales, or Zircote, or...
    i hear ya. it takes me a while to decide on the "look". i have plenty of materials, but inevitably, i end up deciding on something i don't have. go figure.

    Quote Originally Posted by heefageLA View Post
    I will say that the Micarta scales on this one are perfect for my use. Im not afraid to throw it down in the dirt or gravel. I never have to worry about it shrinking or cracking. And there is no upkeep on keeping the handles in good working condition, such as oiling like you have to do on wood handles.

    yes, most often i am drawn to a knife via it's handle. sure, the blade geometry/specs have to be what i'm looking for, but the handle HAS to be comfortable for me to like a knife (for obvious reasons). this is what drew me to this mud turtle. the handle shape looks like one that will work for my hand.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    ** Always looking for a GEC 99 Farm&Field. if you have one available, please hit me up. thanks. **

  13. #13
    Cant wait to see pics and reviews. I have the first MT John made I think??
    I also have one with a 6in blade and love them both!!!
    Proud Supporter of JK Custom Knives
    Proud Supporter of Ray Laconico Custom Knives

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    8,622
    Very nice of you to give folks a chance to check out a great looking JK pattern Heath, I've always liked the look of the Mud Turtle.
    I wouldn't be able to put it to use any time soon so I gotta pass on your fine offer.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.
    RIP Jerry 10/3/46 - 12/17/15
    CIDP Sucks!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Vidalia, LA
    Posts
    1,609
    Shipping this thing out today. I sure thought more than 3 of yall would sign up.

    Ill leave it open for another week in case some people missed it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4,735
    totally forgot about this....SWEET! thanks Heath.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    ** Always looking for a GEC 99 Farm&Field. if you have one available, please hit me up. thanks. **

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Vidalia, LA
    Posts
    1,609
    The MT is on its way to the first customer!

    I touched up the edge for you Todd so be careful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by heefageLA View Post
    The MT is on its way to the first customer!

    I touched up the edge for you Todd so be careful.
    ha. roger that. thanks.

    i'll post back here when it arrives.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    ** Always looking for a GEC 99 Farm&Field. if you have one available, please hit me up. thanks. **

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    se ky
    Posts
    739
    Could I get in on this I have had so much going on I had almost for got to check on my daughter's knife,I'll check back and see if I got added,thanks all. Steve

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Vidalia, LA
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by kysteve View Post
    Could I get in on this I have had so much going on I had almost for got to check on my daughter's knife,I'll check back and see if I got added,thanks all. Steve
    Sure man! Ill add you to the list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •