Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Council 3.5lb Classic Jersey

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    The hardness and practical specifications are spot on. The composition requirement seems like a forester or bureaucrat trying to play metallurgist .

If CT uses 4140, 5160 or 1060 for FSS, it does not meet the requirement compositionally, although any of them could conceivably meet the other requirements as well or better than something composed according to the specification!

You can be sure that the Forest Service's Missoula Technology and Development Center had highly qualified metallurgists working on that spec.

Quote Originally Posted by BG_Farmer View Post
    The hardness and practical specifications are spot on. The composition requirement seems like a forester or bureaucrat trying to play metallurgist .

If CT uses 4140, 5160 or 1060 for FSS, it does not meet the requirement compositionally, although any of them could conceivably meet the other requirements as well or better than something composed according to the specification!
    You got it.
    And then there is this.

4.1 Responsibility for inspection. Unless otherwise specified in the contract or purchase order, the contractor
    is responsible for the performance of all inspection requirements (examinations and tests) as specified herein.
    Except as otherwise specified in the contract or purchase order, the contractor may use his/her own or any
    other facilities suitable for the performance of the inspection requirements specified herein, unless disapproved
    by the Government. The Government reserves the right to perform any of the inspections set forth in
    this specification where such inspections are deemed necessary to ensure supplies and services conform to
    prescribed requirements.

That means the contractor can test his own product at his facility or lab of his choice that he hires. It is amazing what tax dollars buy and it just gets worse all the time. Its a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Square_peg View Post

Good thing they specified 'hardwood knots' and not hemlock knots.
    Yellow poplar

I wanted a Hudson Bay pattern hatchet and I decided for CT low-end line. I found the 2lbs 18" at 30CAD on amazon - a great deal that lasted 1 day or so - and I couldn't pass. I was prepared to replace the handle but I changed my mind once I got it. The reason below after stripping it and 3 coats of BLO:

It's thin and comfortable, and I might keep it for long time even if my favourites are above 26" handles. I spent 5 min with the file on the bit, and I can say it seams to have the same hardness with Walters - based on the feeling. It is not a perfect hatchet, but it's a keeper. I think I will retire the Plumb hatchet and use this one.
    PS This one has wood wedge and round metal wedge - no aluminum wedge on it.
    Last edited by Derzelas; 03-18-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BG_Farmer View Post

Welcome to .gov spec sheets.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information