Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Sheath question on my foxy

  1. #1

    Sheath question on my foxy


    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    So i have been carrying my foxy as a car khuk and i took it out the other day and noticed i could not get the blade back in fully, so i learned today that there is cardboard inside to keep the blade snug, unfortunately my cardboard was crushed and now blocking blade from going in. So i had to fish it out with a clotheshanger made into a hook, now the blade is super loose and wont stay in except in the vertical position, i tried to fit a new piece in there but not much help.

    Any solutions ? I thought about foam or other things.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    OC, California
    Posts
    1,369
    I use furniture foot pads from my hardware store. They come in a variety of sizes, are non marking, and are easy to cut to shape. I usually use the 3/4 inch round style fitted to the widest opening at the top of sheath. I can hold my blade in upside down now. They will also form to shape and you can add lubricant to the pad as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central, Texas
    Posts
    5,956

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,530
    I just thought I'd mention a simple solution for the opposite problem: a sheath that is too tight.

    One of my favorite knives did not quite fit the sheath. It was hard to get all the way in, then hard to pull out. The sheath was wide enough, just too tight for the thickness of the blade.

    I tried stretching the leather, but that didn't work; then I hit on the simplest solution: remove the karda and chakma. That gave the blade compartment enough give that it fits perfectly. I don't really use the karda and chakma very often, and it's easy enough to carry them separately, or leave them home in a drawer for the occasional use. If you need a small companion blade "in the field," a swiss army knife or any other folder will fill the bill.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
    I use furniture foot pads from my hardware store. They come in a variety of sizes, are non marking, and are easy to cut to shape. I usually use the 3/4 inch round style fitted to the widest opening at the top of sheath. I can hold my blade in upside down now. They will also form to shape and you can add lubricant to the pad as well.
    Great thanks for the tip thats a cool idea.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ndoghouse View Post
    Awesome thanks for the link.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by davidf99 View Post
    I just thought I'd mention a simple solution for the opposite problem: a sheath that is too tight.

    One of my favorite knives did not quite fit the sheath. It was hard to get all the way in, then hard to pull out. The sheath was wide enough, just too tight for the thickness of the blade.

    I tried stretching the leather, but that didn't work; then I hit on the simplest solution: remove the karda and chakma. That gave the blade compartment enough give that it fits perfectly. I don't really use the karda and chakma very often, and it's easy enough to carry them separately, or leave them home in a drawer for the occasional use. If you need a small companion blade "in the field," a swiss army knife or any other folder will fill the bill.
    My m43 is too tight and i noticed that if i take those out it is pefect fit. I leave em in just cause they look nice and just remove one to get the 43 out. Lol thanks.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Red Eagle Trapping View Post
    ... there is cardboard inside to keep the blade snug, unfortunately my cardboard was crushed and now blocking blade from going in. So i had to fish it out with a clotheshanger made into a hook, now the blade is super loose and wont stay in except in the vertical position, i tried to fit a new piece in there but not much help.
    ...


    I am sorry to hear that HI sold a sheath like this.
    Howard Wallace
    *************

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pacific NorthWet, USA
    Posts
    4,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Wallace View Post


    I am sorry to hear that HI sold a sheath like this.
    I agree. It's troubling since it's definitely not what's expected from HI. I hope this gets some follow-up so that it doesn't happen again. (HI deserves its good reputation, and needs to keep it.)

  10. Send the blade back and I will try to find a sheath for better fit.
    Blessings from the Computer Shack in Reno

    Yangdu Martino
    himimp@aol.com

  11. #11
    [QUOTE=Yangdu;16971890]Send the blade back and I will try to find a sheath for

    I can send it if you like or i can try some of the tips above im happy with the blade and the sheath is great otherwise. All the other khuks i have are great. This one i assume needs to be wide due to the foxy style and was just a bit to loose inside.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,775
    Chances of Yangdu having another Foxy Sheath are probably not good due to the wide thin blade you mention.

    I suspect the piece you fished out was a thin piece of wood from under the leather wrap up top rather than card board.

    What size Foxy is it out of curiosity. I have a couple, perhaps one of my sheaths might be close if yours can't be made satisfactory.
    You know that little thing inside your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't?

    Yeah, I don't have one of those.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Chances of Yangdu having another Foxy Sheath are probably not good due to the wide thin blade you mention.

    I suspect the piece you fished out was a thin piece of wood from under the leather wrap up top rather than card board.

    What size Foxy is it out of curiosity. I have a couple, perhaps one of my sheaths might be close if yours can't be made satisfactory.
    Lol, im 100 percent sure it was cardboard still have it corrugations and all. 3 sections of it and one piece was 2 x 3 inches looks like it was folded over in place to secure the blade as this was all the way down at the bottom. Its no big deal as it one pretty sheath ill make something work. Ill post some pics soon i will also check specs it is one i got on the year end sale 12/31 absolutely gorgeous and lively. 15" 16 or 19oz i believe.

    Thanks for the offer but with the advice here i am confident i can make it snug again.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,775
    I sure never seen no cardboard in any sheath but corrugations don't lie. That's cardboard.

    Hope you get it to work right, if not we'll find somebody or some way to get it right.

    The Foxy is a real beauty, light, fast and classy as all get out.
    You know that little thing inside your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't?

    Yeah, I don't have one of those.

  15. #15




    the infamous cardboard

  16. #16
    Finally got these uploaded so here are a few pics









    You can just make out some of the cardboard left down in there, the biggest piece looked to be sandwiched over in the bottom which kept the blade snug, when I could not put it back that's when I noticed all the well oiled cardboard. lol

  17. #17
    Just a fantastic Foxy all around and the sheath is one of the nicest I have as well as chakma and karda


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,775
    That's an exceptionally nice Foxy. I love the curve to it, gorgeous fullers and a nice piece of wood on the handle too.

    You got a good one.
    You know that little thing inside your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't?

    Yeah, I don't have one of those.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    That's an exceptionally nice Foxy. I love the curve to it, gorgeous fullers and a nice piece of wood on the handle too.

    You got a good one.
    Yeah the balance is amazing and the fit and finish blew me away just amazing. And when i saw it was 15 1/2 inches and 16 oz i knew i could not pass on it. I have to post more pics of the others i picked up at year end as well as the tin chirra is outstanding as well.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    883
    Wow that is a fine example for sure. You gotta take her out to play! It's a whole lot of fun

    Don't know what to say about the cardboard, certainly haven't seen that before. But I never use the original sheaths much anyways

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •