Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's your Daddy GAW WINNERS picked on post 54

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Hey Glenn, my condolences. Thank you for sharing your inspirations and memories with us. Hope you are feeling better these days and bouncing back from that pneumonia.

Not an entry, thank you for sharing and all that you do for the community
    mischief managed

My condolences and hope you get to better.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Me and Dad watering the garden the easy way. Eating pecans and letting the hose run.
    Last edited by deltaboy; 03-09-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Who's your Daddy GAW

My condolences, Glenn, and hopes for improved health.
    Not an entry, but I will be calling my father.
    -Mike
    Like everyone else, I'm looking for a
    #38 whittler. Preferably in ebony.

I'm in for the 863. Thanks for the chance.

Nice tribute, Glenn.
    I hope your pneumonia goes away soon and stays away forever. (Eat garlic and drink apple cider vinegar (diluted). That's my answer to everything.)

One of the funnier things about my dad was how poorly we worked together. I think our most successful project was putting a couple of dishwasher trays into a base cabinet to act as drawer/shelves. Each of us did one, and they both worked.
    On the other hand, once we went to take the right rear tire off a car, I don't remember why. We agreed to jack up the left side, because the metal was more solid there. "'No, it's still on the floor, Dad.' 'Well it must be high enough, this side is way in the air.'" He finally got the left side high enough that the right side swayed into my hip and we realized our mistake.
    When he was interim minister, we went down to the church to patch a leak in the roof over the downstairs hall at the foot of a shaft with windows all around. There were pigeons, so I closed the casement window. When it was time to go, Dad said, "You've done it again, Jer, we're locked out here till Sunday." Being bigger and heavier, I concentrated all my force on that window, slid off something and broke a little diamond-shaped pane or two, then realized we should be pulling instead of pushing. It opened just fine.
    One time we were trying to start the furnace for some reason. The thermostat would blink and click at a certain point, but no matter how high we pushed it, the furnace wouldn't turn on. Fortunately we figured that one out before calling in the experts.

This is a Bruckman of Dad's. He would carry nothing but a light, flat, shadow pen. Some of Dad's firm convictions were traceable to his maternal grandfather, whom he idolized. I don't know about this one.
    Oh, and I speak to my Dad often, though he's been dead for 16 years.
    Last edited by scrteened porch; 03-05-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Glenn, this isn't an entry just wanted to say so sorry about your Dads passing but I'm glad your on the mend.
    My Dad was like Whetstones, always carried a pocketknife but it was just a tool to him same as his pump pliers,pipe wrench and screwdriver.
    When Pop had to move to a nursing home and we cleaned out his apartment I found an Old Timer 33 0t I'd given him as a gift years ago. It was useless as a knife and he must have kept it cause I gave it to him. The main blade was snapped off just before the tang and the pen blade was ground down to a slim toothpick, probably on a bench grinder.
    I sent that knife to Glennbad and he put a new clip blade in it for me leaving the pen as a tribute to my Pop.

My condolences. I would like to be in for that Bruckmann, I almost picked one up on fleabay a while back. If I happen to win, I'll pick one of my knives to gaw, (here, Spyderco forum or to someone in person) in return as this would be the second act of generosity I would have received on a knife forum. The first relates directly to my dad story. A couple years ago I was looking for a knife for my dad, it needed to be arthritis friendly. He had a hand injury combined with arthritis. I decided a Spyderco Native 3 was what I was after for him. I however could not find one anywhere for less than $200. I would have no issues spending that on it if I knew for sure it would work well for him and he would use it, but I couldn't know for sure. Over on the Spyderco forums Jazz stepped up and generously offered one. Well as it turns out it was perfect for my dad and he really loved it! Unfortunately he passed away a year ago, but not before we had a chance to bond over knives, I never knew how interested in knives he was until I gave him the Native. (We didn't really see eye to eye for many years for various reasons that I won't get into here).I now have it back, (offered it back to Jazz who said to keep it) and will pass it on to one of my boys eventually, the Native as great of a knife as it is just isn't the knife for me so I don't carry it. Great to have some memories attached to it though. Thanks for the opportunity and great idea about the dad story!

Amazing gaw sorry for your loss.
    My dad has really made me the man I am today he really is my best friend. He has created my love of the outdoors and hunting shooting camping fishing etc.
    Normally I wouldn't be in but I am just getting into traditionals and can't find any good oldies locally. That schrade 863 is stunning that would be my first choice. Thanks again for the chance.

Not an entry, Glenn.

My condolences to you and your family on your dad's passing. That picture of him as a young man in his dress blues reminds me of my own AF pictures. You'll always have those great memories to call on.

My dad's been gone since 2005 and not a day goes by that I don't miss him. Lord I wish I could call him. I can say that when he was here we spent a lot of time together and I have many fond memories of one of the best men I've known.

I hope you're up and at em soon.

Usually I don't enter GAs, but I can't resist this one!
    First, I hope you are feeling better, Glenn, and that your Mom is doing OK! And may your Dad rest in peace.
    I can't call my dad, as he passed away in 1989, but I managed to have a very nice visit wth him just before he left this earth, despite living nearly 3000 miles away.
    He worked hard to support 5 kids and mom, and taught us life skills that have served us all pretty well. He also provided well for my mother, until she followed him several years later.
    Interestingly he and my wife bonded immediately, and she misses him as much as I do all these years later!
    You are very generous in your time of grieving, Glenn!
    If my name is chosen, that "Bridgemann" knife has a nice fatherly air to it! It will remind me of both our Dads!!
    Good health to you!
    To find my SFOs and the dealers who carry them, check my developing website at:
    www.waynorthcutlery.net

[IMG][/IMG]
    Honorary Guardian of the Lamb Foot.

Not an entry, Glenn.

But my deepest condolences to you and your family.

My dad passed 30 years ago this month, so some of the memories are not as sharp as they might be. But, Dad was never happier than when he was boating. He had an amazing knack for piloting small boats. After he retired from the lumber business, he got his yacht broker's license and joined a sales company. One day when I was visiting, one of the senior brokers commented to me that one time he and Dad had taken a boat out in preparation to selling it. The owner watched Dad back the boat out of a tight slip with contrary wind and tide. He said to the salesman, "That man (my dad) handled the boat better than I could have and I've owned it 10 years."
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

Click here to update user Group.

List of BF Dealer Members

Nae just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.

Not only did I tell my father I love him, but did so in person. I found out his new wife's kids raided what knives he had so yesterday I got the opportunity to pick up a Colonial Barlow circa 1962 that needed some TLC and I spent the afternoon cleaning her up and putting a nice edge on it. He was pretty surprised that I would revive an old blade for him like that. As expected he loves it and the new wife doesn't understand.

I'm in. I really like the Queen and the Ontario.

Well I've said it before here on the porch but I credit my dad for my love of knives and slipjoints in particular, and I miss him dearly. In one week it will be 5 years since he died and just now am I realizing how much I'm missing out on not having him around still. Sorry for your loss friend.

I would love to be in for the queen. It would perfectly match the first queen given to me this past christmas, a small 14.

-Jim
    My YouTube Channel

Please join me and the crew over at the Jimbo's Knife Fam FB Group!

Great idea Glenn, Sorry to read about your father.

Not an entry

Mike

Glenn, so sorry for you in your Dad's passing. For most of us our Dad's are the biggest influence in our lives. I did call my Dad and invited him to go fishing with me this coming Friday or Saturday - his choice - thanks for the reminder. Hope you get better soon and fully recovered. These two pictures of my Dad - in his early days and goose hunting (on the end) with me, my brother, and a buddy in Maryland last December. Not an entry, but such a wonderful tribute - I wanted to be a part of it. OH

Very sorry for your loss, Glenn. I didn't want to enter, but I find it hard to resist that beautiful shrade. So thank you for the oportunity.

My dad's alright and kicking, although I wish he'd smoke less. I didn't see him all that much when I was little, because he was a truck driver and was always on the way somewhere in Europe or Russia. Sometimes we went fishing, which was always a delight. I wonder where his fishing knive is, I remember I was fascinated by it. Dad always had a love for mashines and mechanical stuff, which I sadly don't share with him. I don't like motorbikes like he does, I'm satisfied with my car. Every summer he rather finds himself a new project to work on instead of going on vacation and we all help along, be it a new fence, a garden shed, a wine cellar or whatever. Since I'm in university, I can't help him all that much in our vineyard, but he manages it well on its own. IMO he makes great white wine.

Not an entry... but please accept my condolences on your loss, Glenn. May your departed father dwell in the mansions of the righteous.

Glenn, sorry to hear about your dad. Thanks for sharing your memories and for this generous give away.

I am blessed to have an excellent relationship with my dad. Here is a picture from last summer that I took of him, my wife, and my daughter as we were at Palo Duro canyon on our way to Colorado. He lives alone and we go on vacations and do activities as a family. I get to see him frequently, at least once a week, and in fact we just went to see Logan last night.

We both are baseball fans, and will try to catch some Astros games a few times during the season. This was from last year.

Now...a story that is funny now but wasn't when it happened!
    I was about 10 and my dad bought a new lawnmower with an electric start. It gave him constant problems, and this particular day was no exception. He told me later he thought I was at my friends house, but instead I was on the side yard to witness this:
    My dad took the mower out of the garage and tried to start it. He initially tried the electric start and then tried the pull cord, which broke in his hands. With this, my dad snapped. He let out a constant string of profanity while kicking the mower repeatedly. He then picked it up and threw it down in the driveway. He then went back into the garage, and I figured he was finished. Wrong! He reappeared a minute later with a sledgehammer and went back to work on the mower for several minutes. When he was satisfied that the mower had learned its lesson, he went and put the hammer away. He took the mower deck and carried it across the street and chunked it into the woods. After this, he then calmly came back and picked up the pieces in the driveway.
    I stayed clear for awhile, and then made an appearance. He grinned at me and told me we were going out to lunch and that we needed a new lawnmower because ours broke

I would love to add that psk or queen to my collection, thanks!

I'm very sorry to hear about your pop. I couldn't imagine life without mine. Fortunately he's in his 70's so we still have time together, which we will never take for granted. Life is too short my friends. My dad was never a big knife guy, but he sure did teach me a lot about fishing and the outdoors. I'm in for the 863. My first knife was an Old Timer stockman that he gave me when I was 12. He and my sisters came to my house yesterday for a little b-day cake (I turn 41 tomorrow), and he gave me a Case tiny toothpick. Kind of an ugly little thing that I may never use, but it'll be in my pocket for the rest of my days. Just him thinking about getting me something that I have such an interest in means the world to me. And he listens enough to know I love Case. He's a one of a kind man and it sounds like yours was too. All our dads are, and I hope our kids love us as much as we love our dads.

What a great GAW, very touching to hear stories. Sorry about your loss Glenn, but as you said he is no longer in pain.

This isn't an entry, I would rather see others win those fine examples of cutlery. However, I will share a story about my father.

He is the hardest working person I have ever known. He just retired 2 weeks ago, on a Friday, after climbing/cutting trees to keep them away from high-voltage power lines. He worked that job for 46 years, very rarely took any days off. Even his vacation time was usually cashed in for some extra $ instead of taking time for himself. It got to be too much for a man in his mid-60's to be free climbing and cutting trees that are over 100 feet tall. The whole family took him out to eat on that Friday and congratulated him, and asked what was his plan now that he was done working. He informed everyone that he put in an application, and was hired to start the following Monday, driving a payloader for a local heavy equipment construction company. We all couldn't believe it, his retirement was only to last 2 days (Saturday and Sunday) before he was going back to work. I wonder if he'll ever retire.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information