Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's your Daddy GAW WINNERS picked on post 54

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    There is something rather special about this GAW, and to me it has less to do with the giveaway and more about the sentiment behind it. First, let me start off by offering my condolences and I hope that you are quickly on the mend, Glenn. And thank you for your service!

My story is rather interesting, though some might say convoluted. I will try to keep it short and simple as I am sure I could get carried away fairly easily. When I first joined the forums here, I kicked things off by posting in what, I was soon to discover, is called "The Porch". I posted a pic of a small, inexpensive folder that was my Dad's in the "What traditional are ya toting today?" thread. With it I posted some sentimental thoughts regarding the recent passing of my Dad and that, though the knife pictured isn't much of a knife, it was something of his that I could carry with me always.

My Dad wasn't my biological father, my two younger brothers and I were taken in by him and his wife when I was 5 years old and were adopted soon after. We became a part of a rather large family with my brothers, myself, and those that came after us comprising the total of 21 children that my folks brought up and nurtured. Keep in mind that only 4 of these kids were theirs biologically. I could not imagine where I would be now if I had not been adopted, as my biological folks had somewhat lost themselves to their addictions at the time. My brothers and I were given a second crack at life and I am ever grateful for it.

I am the goofy looking blond kid on the far left.

My Dad was stoic, a man of action and few words. He served in the Navy and was a Vietnam vet. He never talked about his military service and it was usually taboo to even bring it up. The only info I was able to glean from Mom was that he was involved with shallow water craft and would often be sent up the various rivers where he was subjected to a lot of horrible stuff. At the end of his second enlistment, he was offered a job doing something that involved oceanography but as it would take him away from his family even more, he declined and opted to remain home with his wife and children and ultimately provide a safe home and a second chance for those of us they eventually adopted.

A jack of all trades sort, my Dad rarely hired folks to do work that he felt he could do himself and being on a 40 acre farm, there was always things to be done. He always carried a pocket knife and he always put it to work. In these days, it is relatively unheard of for someone to work a knife to death, but my Dad would certainly be the exception, yet also a testament to times past. When he passed, I went through his "knife drawer". It was a rather large assortment of worn, broken knives (he never threw anything away). You also would not see much in the way of stainless and I think I found only one knife that was a lock back. Otherwise, they were all high carbon steel traditional pocket knives in various sizes, of varying quality, and all worked to death with very few exceptions.

We had a rocky relationship when I was a teenager, mostly because we were terrible at communicating and I was a little on the rebellious side, nothing too serious though. It wasn't until after I had moved out and became a responsible contributing member of society that I started to really see and appreciate the great man that I consider my father. Always the man of action and not words, he was ever there to help when I needed it. When I got suckered into a bad loan due to my naivete at the time, he promptly went in to the creditors office, paid the loan off (he abhorred paying interest on anything and had a saintly credit score), and gave me the opportunity to learn from the whole debacle. He adored my wife and was always there to help if I happened to be out of town or caught up in work. Not the one to be overly affectionate, he still had a soft spot for his many grandchildren, and my kids were no exception.

I love my Dad, and I miss him terribly, our large family is not the same without him. Colon cancer took him away from us a little over a year and half ago, not a day goes by without me thinking of him though. I would not be the man I am today without his big heart and kind, generous spirit.

My Dad, younger brother, and myself shortly before he passed.

Interestingly enough, some years ago, I came into contact with my biological father. Though the relationship has been slow in building (he can't forgive himself for past wrongs), progress is being made. He turned his life around, and though he has his struggles, it has been good to get to know him better. A source of interest and much discussion between us is his love for traditional cutlery and his sizable Case and Queen collection. Though he will not be able to replace my Dad, I hope that he and I can continue to build a relationship that is 30+ years overdue.

Almost forgot this was a giveaway. If I am fortunate enough, I would like to be considered for the Queen, Ontario, or Schrade. The Queen and Schrade would have been knives my Dad would have carried and the Ontario would have been one he would have gone camping with, for sure. As lovely and special as the Bruckmann is, my Dad never carried anything with a corkscrew, and I am sure there are others who would appreciate it far more than I could.

So ends my incredibly long winded post.... My apologies, I probably got a bit carried away. Thank you for such a special GAW, Glenn. Hoping for a speedy and continued recovery!
    "The man, who goes afoot, prepared to camp anywhere and in any weather, is the most independent fellow on earth."

~ Dylan ~

My sincere condolences for your loss Glenn and thank you for sharing your story and for your generosity.

My dad's not much of a knife guy. He has a couple that he carries on occasion, but he's not terribly interested in them. I gave him a Kershaw Leek in Elmax a couple years ago at Christmas. It wasn't slated as a gift originally. It just happened to be what I was carrying with me that day. I let him borrow it to open some packages and for once he commented that he really liked it. How svelte and lightweight it was. Naturally I just responded with a "Merry Christmas" and refused to take the knife back.

I do remember both grandfathers having a knife on them at all times though. My mom's dad was a Case man and carried nothing else, though he did have an Old Timer as well that I inherited when he passed. Must've been gifted to him and left in the box as it appeared almost new. My paternal grandfather always carried an Old Timer and I have a number of his. He taught me to "cut away from the body" when I was a whopping 3 years old.

This is my favorite:

I think it's the one he let me use that day.

I'm in for the Ontario. My step son is old enough now I think for his first fixed blade for camping and backpacking. While I'm sure one of my Moras would do just fine, I like the idea of him having something with some age and a story behind it. Plus, it's much cooler than a Mora Companion.
    Last edited by T.L.E. Sharp; 03-06-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    Bryce
    T.L.E. Sharpening

[email protected]

*** WTB: Yellow Delrin A.G. Russels ***

I have been overwhelmed by the responses on this thread so far. Some posts made me laugh, some made me cry, but it's all great medicine. It also shows me that we're not all that different, are we?
    "you know the road doesn't end, when it reaches a bend..." - Poco

Proud Supporter of JK Knives #65

Wow. I was just browsing the new posts and saw your title and it made me think of my dad.
    I did realize what the thread would actually be about but it struck very close to home.

My dad has been in and out of the hospital lately for heart surgery, cancer and all sorts of the related causality but was just given the deadline. He's fighting it but there's cancer in his brain and bones and all I can do is sit by and watch. It's felt like I was here before but all those times were overcome and this may be as well but it's the worst it's been and suffice to say I know what you went through.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Not sure even about the giveaway but I couldn't not post at this point. I will admit to looking at a Queen or two.
    I guess life goes on but man.

My dad was the kindest,most optimistic and good person I've ever known. He was always thinking of others, both in this life and the next and helping in every way he could. He worked his tail off for the family, sleeping only a couple hours a week, working 2 or three jobs all to make sure my mom and I were set with food and clothes and a house...

He spent t most of his work like managing a district for a local newspaper and was nearly always number one in the company. He would throw the carriers a party at Chuck E Cheese when they met their numbers and it was something they'd not forget with all the pizza, pop and video games we wanted. He could have kept the bonus money for himself but gave back to the people who did the work and I learned a lot from that.

There was so much he did in life but being a good man is what I learned and I hope to be like him one day.

I always wanted to be like him when I grew up; a good father, a good husband and a good person.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Neko2; 03-07-2017 at 02:48 PM.

I'm going to let this one go a little longer, please consider posting if you would like a chance at one of these knives. I am enjoying the stories and pictures immensely!

These stories and remembrances are amazing. Very moving to say the least. I will post something here this evening about my father, too. I'm sorry for the recent loss of the OP's father. God bless him, your family, and both your contributions to our nation's safety and security (I, too, am USAF retired). So glad I ran across this thread.

Glenn, I offer my sincere condolences on the loss of your father. This giveaway is a wonderful tribute to him and I greatly appreciated your sharing a bit of his story and about the knives that he carried and treasured.

I'm in, please, for the Schrade 863.

Baseball was a large part of my dad's youth and he played up through high school. When I was a child he served as a hobby as an umpire for high school baseball and church league softball leagues. He hasn't done that in a long time, but it still makes watching baseball games with him an enjoyable experience because (1) he knows and can explain even the most obscure of rules, and (2) he has a hard won, deep library of taunts to offer to the umps when they make a call with which he disagrees. I don't think I realized this until now, but the most treasured gift I have from him is the baseball mitt that he had from about the time he was in college until I was a teenager. It is so broken in that it pretty much catches by itself. One day when we were playing catch when I was in high school, he asked me if I wanted to trade mitts and I've had it ever since. 25 or 30 years later I still have it. I should give it a good conditioning and tell him that I still treasure it.

Thank you for this giveaway, Glenn. I hope that it helps you through this difficult time.
    Greg

WTB GEC #38 in Gabon Ebony, Old Green Jig Bone, or Chestnut Peach Seed Jigged Bone

My condolences and great post; thanks for the opportunity to share a story about my Dad. I'm in for the Schrade 863.

Can you say the '70s LOL? Here is a picture of my Dad, younger Brother and I (how do you like those bib overalls?) on an annual fishing trip to Wisconsin. I am guessing this is 1975-76? Of course back then, before the Feds started withholding highway money to states with a drinking age below 21, the drinking age was 18 in Wisconsin. I am guessing that I am only 16 or 17 at the time with a Michelob. My Dad starting taking me on these annual trips when I was five and then my brother when he was old enough. We often brought friends - great times and great stories! Of course as I got older I stopped choosing to go.

My Dad served in the Navy during WWII. He got his parents to sign for him and joined when in 1943 he was 17 (about the age I was in that picture). Many side stories and thoughts at this point.
    Flash forward to 2001. I'm married with four kid, my brother is married with one daughter. and I haven't been on one of these trips in over 20 years. My Dad makes arrangements for a trip to the same lodge. This happens to mean I am going to miss my Wife's birthday - I didn't have the heart to tell him that or not go. So off my Dad, Brother and I go for one more fishing trip to Wisconsin. When we get there my Brother and I are amazed at how small the lake and lodger are and realized my Dad could see all of the "crap" we were getting into back in the day..... We swapped stories, bonded, had a great time.

My Dad lower right:

My Wife's birthday is September 11th. As I mentioned above, we were on what would be our final fishing trip in 2001, during my Wife's birthday: 9-11. We were in a place with no television and a crappy-ass radio as we listened to 9-11 unfold. I remember thinking "What do you mean the tower fell" as the announcer spewed out this unbelievable and incomprehensible news. [My Wife spent the day with our good neighbors during this horrific event.] A very somber time. We caught snippets of video replay when went out to eat and saw pictures in newspapers we bought on the way home. It was a different experience than those watching it live, but just as devastating.

Why I mention my Dad's WWII service, besides the fact that I am damn proud. (Sorry, this didn't start out as a history moment.) One thing that sticks out in my mind is when I asked my Dad during the trip if this moment reminded him of Pearl Harbor (he would have been 15 when that happened). He said no, it reminded him of JFK's assassination. This surprised me at time and I still contemplate it.

The watch my Dad was given by someone he worked for when he joined the Navy in '43 and includes the '43 date (another side story). He gifted it to my Daughter. He gave me his service knife when I was a kid and took it back because I was abusing it. I was too young to appreciate it and I think it grew more sentimental to him. He later gifted it to his Grandson, my nephew (aghhh!), who does appreciate it and deserve it.
    Last edited by Vaporstang; 03-09-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    Looking for Black Delrin Buck 331

Glenn, my condolences on your tremendous loss.

I won't lie, I've kind of avoided this thread, knowing how it would make me feel. May 29th will make 6 years since my father's passed. Every day since May 29, 2011, I've come to realize a lesson taught to me by my father. Lessons of patience, forgiveness, strength, reason, workmanship, ethics, manners, friendship, morality, and, most importantly, love. I was 23 when my father died; just starting out a new life as a real life adult. I think about all the questions I would have asked him. I think about him not seeing my beautiful bride on my wedding day. I think about him not being at the hospital when my daughter was born. I think about him everyday. And I try to make him proud. I hope to be the influence on my daughter that my father was on me.

My dad wasn't a "knife knut"; he carried a big Klein lockback for work because it was a tool readily available through work that got the job done. Shortly after my daughter was born, I took this picture. The Peanut was purchased the day before my daughter was born, and I've carried it almost every day for the last 9 months. As a "knife knut", this picture carries a lot of weight for me. It shows a connection that breaks my heart. A connection between two people who will never know each other.

Glenn, I hope your healing process is fulfilling. This is not an entry. Thank you for allowing me to share.
    - Shawn

ISO Ebony Barehead Jacks

Glenn, I echo everyone's comments in saying I'm very sorry for your family's loss... your Dad sounds like he was an amazing father. I too hope this helps you through the grieving process. Everyone's stories are so moving and special. All great dad's.

Thank you for helping us take a moment to share our own fathers with friends and forum members:

We lost my Dad, on 26 October 2012, to a life-ending bilateral stroke following leg amputation surgery. He was having the surgery to finally deal with an old Korean War wound that finally caught up with him (mortar shrapnel). My Mother and he were married for 58 years 11 months when he passed and, unfortunately, her health has slowly declined ever since. I believe she is ready to be with him again... she misses him terribly. They moved 17 times for the US Army throughout their marriage, finally settling for themselves in Austin, Texas, where I spent most of my youth.

My Dad, Richard L. Harris, was raised in the steel communities of Pittsburgh. In 1947, he received an appointment to West Point graduated fourth in his class in 1951; two months later he was in Korea. He served another 30 years in the US Army, achieving the rank of Major General. He served three tours in Vietnam, served at key posts in US Strike Command, HQ US Army, US Forces Pacific, and Corps of Engineers. When he retired from the US Army in 1981, he was brought on as an executive VP of a Fortune 500 company and retired fully in 1994. In his retirement, he enjoyed golfing, drawing (did caricatures), painting, reading, and spending time with his family until he passed.

Dad was a brilliant nuclear and civil engineer but wasn't much of an outdoors kind a guy. I never knew my father to carry a knife so I didn't get that interest from him. That came to me later as I learned about my grandfather (his father) who came from a family of farmers.

What I did get from my Dad was a great work ethic, a desire to serve my country (which I did for 21 years... thanks Dad!) and to be a loving father and husband. My Dad put his family first and served his nation as honorably as any man I've ever known to serve. He was damn tough but he was always fair... and all he wanted was for his children, and their children, to grow up in a world better than how he found it. He was, and still is, our family's hero.

Each day, if I carry only one knife, it is my Sebbie 21 with a birthdate of the exact day he passed. I think of him every time day and every time I touch that Sebbie. He is missed more than words can adequately describe.

Dad's West Point yearbook photo, 1951

Dad's first official photo upon returning from Korea.

Dad, serving as DISCOM Commander, 1st Air Cavalry, 1970, Vietnam

Dad's official photo when he was named Commanding General, Ft Leonard Wood, Missouri

Some of my Dad's stuff, which I now treasure. West Point service cap, general officer's parade belt, his issue Colt 32 Automatic (general officer's could keep their service weapons for a whopping $14.44 each), and the only knife he owned (it's a letter opener).

Again, Glenn... thank you, and you have my sincerest condolences. If I am chosen for your GAW, the Ontario PSK or the Schrade would be my preferences. However, this experience was so cathartic for me, I feel like I already won something more important. ~ Rob

It will be pretty tough when my dad goes. He has been a great father.

Teaching us about camping. Fishing. Shooting. Cutting down trees. Changing oil... All the manly stuff.

Here he is with my younger son. He takes the grandkids on week long outings to go fishing.

Here he is with my younger boy. Fishing.

Riding the 4 wheeler.

A mess of fish!

I would be happy to enter. The queen workhorse or the Schrade both would get the most pocket time.
    Last edited by Bigfattyt; 03-10-2017 at 01:40 AM.

Reading all these wonderfully heartfelt and inspired tributes to your fathers (and mine), a phrase keeps popping up in my mind: "When men were men."

Sincere condolences Glenn, I also lost my father about 5 months ago. There's not a day goes by that I don't think about him and wish I could give him a call.

My fondest memories are sitting down with him and watching horrible movies (Attack of the killer tomatoes genre) over a bowl of popcorn. I just hope my son looks back with the same fondness at the times we spend together when the time comes.

That swell center Schrade really speaks to me, so that would be my pick if I get so lucky.

Thanks for the chance, and the great stories that have been posted because of it.

~Chip

As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed reading all the remembrances and stories of your dads. They were very therapeutic for me, so thank you! I wish I could pick all of your posts to win. Nevertheless, here the winners, picked by random number generator:

btb01 wins the Bruckmann

TLE Sharp wins the Ontario PSK

Crossdraw wins the Schrade 863

Padruig wins the Queen 4-blade

AbbyDaddy, I picked a bonus winner, you are it!

Everyone please email or PM me with your shipping info. I may not get these out until midweek, we are supposed to get a big storm on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone!
    Glenn

Congrats to the winners and good on you Glenn. Just waiting for the spring snowstorm down here also.
    Alan

WTB: GEC 25 Clip or Drop Point...Please
    GEC 66 Jack in stag

Thanks for such a generous GAW Glenn, and thank you to everyone for the stories and the pictures. Congrats to the winners!
    Tom S.

Congratulations to all of the winners! Thank you, Glenn!
    - Shawn

ISO Ebony Barehead Jacks

Congratulations to the winners. This thread was certainly a win for me just reminiscing about my Dad and Brother - Thanks Glenn!
    Looking for Black Delrin Buck 331

Blog Entries
    Congrats to the winners, I always liked to remember my Old Man every chance I get and this story is one the strongest albeit last memory I had.

It was cool and rainin’ when I set out at 8:00 am with my mom to deliver the letters for a request for a variance to put two apartments on the second floor of a Firehouse my old man had just bought.

I was fifteen then, it was 1975, Saturday, October 25th, I was into my second year of HS, goin’ to a High Class Private School on a scholarship.

Everything was great, almost everything, I should have been on that plane, I should have been the one going Up State NY to the camp to close it up for the winter, usually we’d sneak a little preseason hunting, deer, bear and whatever else we could shoot.

Yup it should’ve been me but it wasn’t, I had goofed around at school a little too much that semester, the wrestling team was getting ready to go to the USSR that year for a goodwill match and we, I wasn’t keepin' my grades up, so I got a B- in physics, my old man wouldn’t let me go this time, I could use the week to study and deliver the variance letters with my mom, he gave me a hug and said we’ll sneak up in a couple weeks and finish closin' up and do some huntin'.

That was the last time I saw him, Friday night before he left with five other friends and pseudo family members on a so called huntin' trip/end of year camp closin', the property once belonged to the Rockefellers and then a very wealthy friend of the family bought it, the only way in was by boat, nine miles up the Stillwater Reservoir, or by plane to a half mile runway I helped carve out of the woods with my old man, there was a road that took us 28 days to carve through the woods with a Cat D-9 and a few other pieces of road building equipment but that’s another adventure.

Still it should’ve been me goin' but it wasn’t, the plane was a brand new Piper Twin Engine Aztec E series, back then one of the more advanced planes out there, The Doctor who owned the plane and the camp was a pilot and certified to train commercial airline pilots, my old mad had countless hours flying time and tons of solo time, (he also had his pilots licence), it was cold and rainey when they left at 6:00 am that mornin' from Solberg a little airport in Jersey.

All day I pissed and moaned because I was stuck deliverin’ these stupid letters it was goin’ on 12 noon when we finally headed home, my old man was probably openin' up the lodge and startin’ a fire, turnin’ on the propane tanks for light and gettin’ ready to head out to our favorite deer run to check out the signs.

The night before, I helped him pack while he explained to me yet again why I couldn’t go this time, he took my 308 bolt action Savage, his S&W 38 cal. Detective Special, his 44 magnum, a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun and two sheath knives, one was a Kabar fixed blade, like the ones you see them openin’ crates with in the old WW2 movies and the other was a split tang Edge Brand 10”-12” Bowie knife with a Stag handle. He threw these into his duffle bag along with his huntin’ clothes and other survival necessities, hell he’d be back in a week.

As we turned the corner to our street I thought I heard the guy on the radio say somethin’ about a small plane crash in NJ, my mom clicked off the radio just as we pulled up to the house.

My uncles truck was parked in front of the house, I thought this was kinda odd but I followed my mom into the house just in time to hear her scream and start wailin’, I wasn’t sure what my uncle told her but I knew it couldn’t be good.

My mom stumbled over to me and grabbed on and said, “Your fathers dead, they’re all dead…. the plane crashed and they’re all gone, then my uncle told her she needed to identify his body, so she left, she left a 15 year old boy who was closer to his father than anyone else, after tellin’ him his best friend was dead, she left him alone in the house, standin’ in the doorway sobbin’.

The next week was a blur with funeral after funeral six in all, investigators from the insurance companies and the FAA, newspapers tv reporters, it was a circus and that 15 year old boy had to grow up quick that year.

Around spring I remember my mom askin’ me to go to the police station with her to pick up the guns and knives they recovered from the plane crash, they handed her several bags and a some gun parts, in one bag was the blade of the Kabar, apparently the knife was on his belt and when the plane hit the ground the blade went into his hip and the blade snapped, I still have the broken blade and then there was the Bowie, my mom kept that.

She eventually gave me the knife back in the early 80s but it was packed away and never seen again, till a few weeks ago, I was goin’ through an old toolbox of his I inherited after he died and there wrapped in paper was the knife a little rusty and kinda pitted but I’ll be damned there it was, a little clean up with some steel wool and she was almost as good as new, the leather spacers had shrunk a little leavin’ the pommel a little loose but all in all still in good shape and still sharp as heck.

The only reason I’m even tellin’ ya’ll this story is because the 32nd anniversary of his death is loomin’ in the near future and findin’ this knife has brought a lot of old feelins’ and issues to the surface that need attention and telling’ his story was one of those issues, thanks for listenin'.

I'll post a pick of the knife later.

My computer messed up at moment so I'll post some pics my Old Man later.

Again congrats to the winners and thanks for a place to remember my old man again. Love you too sir.
    RAT Pack #353, COCB
    SpyderNation#8 (~);-}
    }33,*)> Go Raptors OOO

Quote Originally Posted by glennbad View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed reading all the remembrances and stories of your dads. They were very therapeutic for me, so thank you! I wish I could pick all of your posts to win. Nevertheless, here the winners, picked by random number generator:

btb01 wins the Bruckmann

TLE Sharp wins the Ontario PSK

Crossdraw wins the Schrade 863

Padruig wins the Queen 4-blade

AbbyDaddy, I picked a bonus winner, you are it!

Everyone please email or PM me with your shipping info. I may not get these out until midweek, we are supposed to get a big storm on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone!
    Glenn
    Wow! Thank you Glennbad! I really appreciate it, and all you do around the porch. This has been a moving opportunity to learn about the people here on the porch. Thank you for hosting this.
    UO and OSU, so I'm a Platypus

http://centergnome.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information