Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !! Best new 2017 BM that they snuck in unannounced?? 319 Proper Slip Joint!!

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I like a blade long enough to span an apple. A 2.8" blade can't do that. My wife puts an apple in my lunch everyday and I have to eat it or I get in trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by jpm2 View Post
    2.5-3" blade is perfect for a pocket knife.

Quote Originally Posted by AmosPaul View Post
    I like a blade long enough to span an apple. A 2.8" blade can't do that. My wife puts an apple in my lunch everyday and I have to eat it or I get in trouble!
    I just roll the apple, and the shorter blade is better for coring and peeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It was amazing 10 years ago. It's just an ordinary decent steel now. Nothing premium or special about it.

You can get an S30V knife for less than $50 these days, and 85% of Benchmade's line is already S30V. Other manufacturers have moved on from S30V to M390, S90V, S110V, etc, but BM seems to be stuck with an abundance of the stuff.

If you like it, that's great news for you. For the rest of us, it's yawn-worthy, as evidenced by the "2017 Benchmades" thread.
    Lol. What properties make it less worthy?
    No need to keep up with the "steel of the week". In a knife that size s30v is plenty. Most my traditionals are 1095.

Quote Originally Posted by AusLoX View Post
    Lol. What properties make it less worthy?
    No need to keep up with the "steel of the week". In a knife that size s30v is plenty. Most my traditionals are 1095.
    Steel of the week? If you think M390, S90V, etc are short-lived fads, you're seriously out of touch with the non-traditional knife industry.

If Benchmade wanted to make a true traditional (like you suggested), they should have used a carbon steel. Instead, they used a steel that comprises the absolute majority of their product line, which makes it completely homogenized with the rest of their knives, minus the lack of a lock. I'd be interested in a traditional from BM that had 52100 or K390 so it could patina a bit and hold a low-angle convex bevel.

It reminds me of how GM would put that 3.8L V6 into every car they made. You could argue that it wasn't a bad engine, but an Impala, Camaro, Regal, Grand Am, Grand Prix, etc all had the same engine, which made a lot of enthusiasts shrug their shoulders and look elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by benthughes View Post
    some people like Infi because they want to find out what's inside a rock

Steel of the week? If you think M390, S90V, etc are short-lived fads, you're seriously out of touch with the non-traditional knife industry.

If Benchmade wanted to make a true traditional (like you suggested), they should have used a carbon steel. Instead, they used a steel that comprises the absolute majority of their product line, which makes it completely homogenized with the rest of their knives, minus the lack of a lock. I'd be interested in a traditional from BM that had 52100 or K390 so it could patina a bit and hold a low-angle convex bevel.

It reminds me of how GM would put that 3.8L V6 into every car they made. You could argue that it wasn't a bad engine, but an Impala, Camaro, Regal, Grand Am, Grand Prix, etc all had the same engine, which made a lot of enthusiasts shrug their shoulders and look elsewhere.
    My point was that you won't notice a difference with the s30v vs m390 in a knife that size.
    I personally don't care to show off a knife to brag about the steel. You will feel the difference in power on a car so that's a bad comparison. With a knife this size you won't be at a loss of performance with the steel choice. It's a great steel which is why they use it. I'd take 440c as well.

The blade length is fine, this knife is simply a surprise. Thanks Benchmade for this treat!

Quote Originally Posted by AusLoX View Post
    My point was that you won't notice a difference with the s30v vs m390 in a knife that size.
    I personally don't care to show off a knife to brag about the steel. You will feel the difference in power on a car so that's a bad comparison. With a knife this size you won't be at a loss of performance with the steel choice. It's a great steel which is why they use it. I'd take 440c as well.
    My 480-1 Shoki has an M390 blade of the exact length as the 319. It will hold an edge better than any length S30V blade I've got, and achieve a finer finish/lower bevel to boot. If you can't tell the difference, that's great. I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by benthughes View Post
    some people like Infi because they want to find out what's inside a rock

My 480-1 Shoki has an M390 blade of the exact length as the 319. It will hold an edge better than any length S30V blade I've got, and achieve a finer finish/lower bevel to boot. If you can't tell the difference, that's great. I can.
    This is definitely not a good buy for you. You might roll an edge. You should probably stay away from traditional style knives in general. I don't see many m390 slipjoints.

I like it!
    I love knives, this is why I beat the s**t out of them.

It's fun until you cut yourself, then it's bloody hilarious!

Not my thing but good on BM for bringing some thing new.

Blog Entries
    This one breaks the mold in every way, except the S30V. Nothing wrong at all in basic use. But I'm thinking M4 would have tipped the excitement scale on this one.
    "I think, therefore I am."-Descartes

Wow. I see owning one of those myself.
    Looking For A Ted Nugent Kershaw Leek and a Spyderco Dodo.

Quote Originally Posted by P2P View Post
    ... I'm thinking M4 would have tipped the excitement scale on this one.
    Indubitably so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information