Thread: A Sad Afternoon and a Glorious Evening

A Sad Afternoon and a Glorious Evening

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    The 90 mph March wind has been rolling through Corn Patch like there's no tomorrow. Galvanized barn & shed roofing end up laying a mile from the home place and huge limbs on century old trees that have split and fallen from the trunks abound. Enter Stage Right: Bookie and his brand new and unused villager khukuri. The neighbor needed a little assistance with a few large limbs in his yard, so Bookie proceeded to take on a 12 incher. His little Nepali chain saw started gobbling it's way through said limb and finished the job before his right arm fell off. The grateful neighbor handed Bookie a cold Pepsi-Cola and told him to take a break. As Bookie placed the khuk back into it's sheath, a knot of wood remained in his hand. You all know what knots are. Those pesky dark brown things that often abound in boards. That always manage to fall out when they're not supposed to do so and are harder'n the hubs of Hell. Evidently, the shock from those 9 million, eight hundred thousand, three hundred, and ninety-seven chops on that log loosened the knot in the handle to the point of ejection. Bookie was not exactly a happy camper, but at least he had the knot in it's entirety.

Enter Bookie's shop, Stage Left: The epoxy came out and he proceeded to affix the knot back into position in the handle. Several grits of sand paper rubbed the handle smooth--very smooth at 600 grit. The excess epoxy was removed and the knot examined. Good job! Since the handle was now naked wood, Bookie decided to spiff the villager up some what. The excess wood by the bolster was removed, the beauty rings evened out and deepened a bit, and the flared ring reduced in diameter to fit between his fingers a bit better. The center band had triangles cut into it, ala Bawanna. Some home brew tan wood dye was whomped up and after addition of some alcohol, matched the color of the knot EXACTLY. Applied the stain to the rings and let'er dry. Some gun stock finishing oil was rubbed onto the wood and what you see is what Bookie got. Bookie is now a happy camper and lives happily ever after. The end.

5 photos for you.

[IMG][/IMG] Vised up khuk getting a sand job.

[IMG][/IMG] Ye well repaired knot. The color difference does not affect the function of the khuk, but seems a bit unsightly in the eyes of the owner. The triangles are also laid out.

[IMG][/IMG] The triangles after being cut.

[IMG][/IMG] Bookie's supercalafragilisticexpealadocious tan wood dye (98 proof) has been smeared on as well as his sliced and diced hand would allow--and that's another story unrelated to this one--poor beggar. You think the knot and the dye match?

[IMG][/IMG] The excess dye removed and stock oil applied. Only 4 more coats to go. The handle now seems a bit more attractive, don't you think?
    59 AF&AM

Wow that is stunning!
    Jake
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Looks great Bookie. I'm not sure I'm even seeing the knot, tiny one below the rings, or on the butt cap?

I see by the paper you been practicing you cyphering, plus's and take away's and such.
    You know that little thing inside your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't?

Yeah, I don't have one of those.

Photos number two & five show a good portion of the knot. The rings were carved through the knot. Guess it's not exactly a "villager" any longer, but a pretty face won't keep it from doing what it was intended for like come Saturday. I'm really glad I gave Mrs. Martino some close measurements for my hand when the khuk was ordered. This thing fits my palm superbly and does not roll or slip in my hand one little bit when chopping. Because of that, striking the "sweet spot" is much more consistent and speeds up the work.
    59 AF&AM

I think I see it now. Nice work. I tip the sawdust out of me bonnet to you sir.

Very well done.

You set me straight on finishing oil, now you got me curious about this 98 proof wood dye stuff.
    You know that little thing inside your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't?

Yeah, I don't have one of those.

Im with you Mr B! I dont see nothin that looks broken? Sure is some great looking wood tho. I think doc done got into that 98 proof dye and forgot what was broken? Sure dont look like a villager to me either. Looks like one of them fancy take to the downtown bingo parlour Khukris fer when they call the rong number!

Mighty pretty!

8. Nice work, thank you for sharing
    Blessings from the Computer Shack in Reno

Yangdu Martino
    himimp@aol.com

Really liking how the stain and the oil bring out the wood grain. Makes that whole handle pop beautifully while retaining the functionality that allowed it to dominate that limb.

Surely a plus to have it look as good as it works

That came out really nice, the grain looks amazing.
    USMC 85-91 Semper Fidelis
    Hero's don't wear Capes.......... they wear DOG TAGS....!!!!

Beckerhead #230

Very nice work.

Thread Information